The Student Room Group

sorry, i really need help with my gcse's results please can anyone answer me

I am not sure to get my physics and chemistry coursework remark or not... It is because if my marks went up to the expected marks (the marks when my science teacher had marked them), both of my whole grade will go up. I am really concerned about those marks because they are one grade below the expected mark, and they are both the same mark as well... I got 39/50 mark(64/80- umps mark) in those course work results, and it is only a low A (or just an A). But my science teacher had marked them with an A* (46/50, 44/50). It is a huge difference between those expectation... Ithink it is weird that they are both the same mark. And I wouldn't think it will be just an A because we had spent so much time on it, and wrote a lot. On the other hand, I think it should be at least a few marks higher because my biology had actually got the right mark 46/50 (75/80 ums)... Don't know if someone had a similar issue with me... Because even if the mark scheme had change harshly, I still think it shouldn't be that low. And it makes a huge difference to my whole grade... I know it isn't a big matter, cuz the real matter is A level, but...I am not happy about that at all. And it is a little bit weird issue for me, because I changed school for the A level course. When I email my old teachers... they simply didn't reply me any questions I asked... the most important question is did any one had a similar issue with me... and they didn't answer (I told them everything, and they just reply me to find the exam secretary for remarking..., and when I further asked them the questions, I have receive no reply)... it is really rude in my opinion because they don't even reply to my parent's email... Therefore, I am left to this big concern... hope anyone can reply me and I still have two days before the deadline.
Remarks have stopped. They've stopped receiving them after the 12th.
I don't think that you can get a remark for coursework, mate.
Original post by Amy:(
I am not sure to get my physics and chemistry coursework remark or not... It is because if my marks went up to the expected marks (the marks when my science teacher had marked them), both of my whole grade will go up. I am really concerned about those marks because they are one grade below the expected mark, and they are both the same mark as well... I got 39/50 mark(64/80- umps mark) in those course work results, and it is only a low A (or just an A). But my science teacher had marked them with an A* (46/50, 44/50). It is a huge difference between those expectation... Ithink it is weird that they are both the same mark. And I wouldn't think it will be just an A because we had spent so much time on it, and wrote a lot. On the other hand, I think it should be at least a few marks higher because my biology had actually got the right mark 46/50 (75/80 ums)... Don't know if someone had a similar issue with me... Because even if the mark scheme had change harshly, I still think it shouldn't be that low. And it makes a huge difference to my whole grade... I know it isn't a big matter, cuz the real matter is A level, but...I am not happy about that at all. And it is a little bit weird issue for me, because I changed school for the A level course. When I email my old teachers... they simply didn't reply me any questions I asked... the most important question is did any one had a similar issue with me... and they didn't answer (I told them everything, and they just reply me to find the exam secretary for remarking..., and when I further asked them the questions, I have receive no reply)... it is really rude in my opinion because they don't even reply to my parent's email... Therefore, I am left to this big concern... hope anyone can reply me and I still have two days before the deadline.

Remarks aren't possible for coursework because examiners don't look at everyone's coursework only a couple from each group and decide whether to change marks looking at those- a bit annoying because I too wanted my bio coursework to be remarked as I felt my teacher wasn't fair
You CAN get science ISAs marks reviewed by the exam board - I'm not sure about the deadlines however as that will depend on which exam board you are using.

As other people have said, the exam board just sample a few examples from your school and see if they agree with the school's marking. If not the whole lot can be moderated up, or as it sounds in your case, down. Having said that 46 down to 39 is a massive change so something has gone wrong with the school's marking in the exam board's opinion. It would help to know whether yours were papers that were called for moderation by the exam board in the first place. If they were then it probably isn't worth doing.

Obviously it is up to you if you want to apply to have the marks checked again. You will have to pay to get each one reviewed and you need to bare in mind the marks may remain the same. This is something you arrange through the exams officers in your school however, not through the science teachers.
Reply 5
Original post by hazybubbles
You CAN get science ISAs marks reviewed by the exam board - I'm not sure about the deadlines however as that will depend on which exam board you are using.

As other people have said, the exam board just sample a few examples from your school and see if they agree with the school's marking. If not the whole lot can be moderated up, or as it sounds in your case, down. Having said that 46 down to 39 is a massive change so something has gone wrong with the school's marking in the exam board's opinion. It would help to know whether yours were papers that were called for moderation by the exam board in the first place. If they were then it probably isn't worth doing.

Obviously it is up to you if you want to apply to have the marks checked again. You will have to pay to get each one reviewed and you need to bare in mind the marks may remain the same. This is something you arrange through the exams officers in your school however, not through the science teachers.

It is possible to get coursework re-moderated, however it is VERY expensive and could alter the marks and grades of the whole group so it is something that your school is unlikely to do unless the Head of Science reports a problem and requests it. Unfortunately it sounds as though your teacher was a little too generous with their marking. It might even be that internal standardisation picked this up and your ISAs were marked down before the moderation sample was even sent away. It's disappointing and very frustrating that your school won't answer your questions but there really isn't too much you can do about it at this point—especially as the deadline is the 20th.
Reply 6

Oh really thanks a lot. It makes me understand more on what's going on. I didn't know that they don't mark all of our course work. I think most of mine weren't in moderation, but I am not sure though... I thought moderation was just give an example for the examiner to view... I am not sure how the marking scheme are... does that mean the marking are based on the people that had been chosen for moderation... (So if their marks went down, others went down as well?). I think there is some miss understanding for me as an international student... cuz I just know what moderation really means... And I really didn't know what's going on with others(cuz I had change school)... and I am now lack of communication with my teachers... I don't know why they didn't explain all this to me. It is really frustrating... But thanks, I will ask the examiner secretary for more details to remark.
Reply 7
Original post by Clemm101
It is possible to get coursework re-moderated, however it is VERY expensive and could alter the marks and grades of the whole group so it is something that your school is unlikely to do unless the Head of Science reports a problem and requests it. Unfortunately it sounds as though your teacher was a little too generous with their marking. It might even be that internal standardisation picked this up and your ISAs were marked down before the moderation sample was even sent away. It's disappointing and very frustrating that your school won't answer your questions but there really isn't too much you can do about it at this point—especially as the deadline is the 20th.

Is remarking course work the same price as for each paper? I just read the studentroom's information of remaking. Maybe I should ask the examiner secretary. I am not about how my teachers marked them... But I know mine shouldn't be that much differences... I just receive one sentence from my teacher from all the words I had written to them:
Our coursework grades are always indicative and we are at the mercy of Ofqual and QCA who set grade boundaries
And I don't even understand what he means... so I asked back and I got no reply... he said grade boundaries... but I don't think it is the problem with the grade boundaries though... because I can find out how much mark did I got... and it is a huge difference... it would be acceptable that 39 marks is just an A. I don't think it is the problem with my grade boundaries
The school mark all the work in accordance with quite a comprehensive mark scheme supplied by the exam board. The exam board has to check schools are interpreting the mark scheme properly and fairly so they send a list of a certain percentage of students and request their work for checking. If the exam board think think the school have consistently under or over marked they adjust everyone's marks from that school based on the few they have seen.

You can apply to have yours looked at individually again. It costs about the same as getting an exam paper checked. I think its around £35 per item.

You must contact your exam officer not a teacher as the teachers have nothing to do with sorting this stuff out. Its not in the school's interests to ignore you if your papers were heavily moderated down unfairly as an improvement in your grade improves their statistics too!
Reply 9
Original post by Starlight2000
Remarks aren't possible for coursework because examiners don't look at everyone's coursework only a couple from each group and decide whether to change marks looking at those- a bit annoying because I too wanted my bio coursework to be remarked as I felt my teacher wasn't fair

Yeah, it wasn't fair for us... don't even know how they pick on the moderation. FYI there is people in this thread said that it is possible for remark, but it is a bit too late and expensive though... and hope you get well in A level courses cuz GCSE don't matters now.
No, remarking coursework costs hundreds as the whole sample has to be sent away to a new moderator to be re-moderated. You are not able to request re-moderation without the support of your school and it doesn't look as though they will support your request.

Without more detail it isn't possible to tell if your work was marked down by another teacher (who's job it is to check your teacher's marking is in line with exam board guidelines) or by an external moderator. A change in marks has nothing to do with grade boundaries and everything to do with poor marking, which unfortunately your school probably won't admit to.
The school mark all the work in accordance with quite a comprehensive mark scheme supplied by the exam board. The exam board has to check schools are interpreting the mark scheme properly and fairly so they send a list of a certain percentage of students and request their work for checking. If the exam board think think the school have consistently under or over marked they adjust everyone's marks from that school based on the few they have seen.

You can apply to have yours looked at individually again. It costs about the same as getting an exam paper checked. I think its around £35 per item.

You must contact your exam officer not a teacher as the teachers have nothing to do with sorting this stuff out. Its not in the school's interests to ignore you if your papers were heavily moderated down unfairly as an improvement in your grade improves their statistics too!

Moderation review (service 3)When we review the moderation of a coursework or controlled assessment mark (also called re-moderation), we’ll check to make sure the assessment criteria were applied fairly, reliably and consistently.It’s only available for whole subjects, not individual students. Private candidates can request it, but only for certain specifications and when the work has been assessed by a moderator.FeesThese are the fees for the November 2015 to June 2016 series.The review is free if your school’s original marks are re-instated. Otherwise, we charge a fee regardless of whether the marks changed.For five or fewer students, the fee is halved.

£205.50 per unit/component for GCSE, AQA Certificates (except Level 3), ELC, FCSE, Functional Skills, FSMQ foundation and higher, Level 1 and Level 2 projects

£229.00 per unit/component for A-level, AS, Level 3 Certificate in Enterprise, Employability and Personal Finance, FSMQ advanced level and Level 3 Extended project.

So...£411. 'Only available for whole subjects, not individual students........'
Original post by Amy:(
Yeah, it wasn't fair for us... don't even know how they pick on the moderation. FYI there is people in this thread said that it is possible for remark, but it is a bit too late and expensive though... and hope you get well in A level courses cuz GCSE don't matters now.

Yh I still picked that subject and I'm gonna work hard to make sure that pitying look I get from my new teacher stops being directed at me I mean I know I only passed the subject in the end but I used to get good grades throughout the two years but the second exam was horrible
Good luck with your Alevels

Quick Reply

Latest