Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need to decide by tommorrow if I want to take my hijab off

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    This thread has thoroughly stressed me, and got worse with every post. I can't believe there are so many judgemental people on here. I'm Muslim and because I don't wear hijab, that makes me a muslim just by name? Who the hell are you to make such a statement about non hijabis? So, according to you, they aren't muslim enough and will not go to Jannah? Alhamdullilah, I have read the Qur'an and I pray five times a day. So, if I don't wear hijab, people will not take me seriously as a Muslim. What a stupid statement to make. And, my sister is a hijabi, and I'm not. But, let me tell you she gets more compliments than me out on the streets.

Also, I've seen many hijabis with see through clothing and tons of makeup. They also only have guys as friends.

I, on the other hand don't have any guy friends in real life, I don't hang out with guys like I've seen most hijabis do.

Once, I saw a hijab with skin coloured tight tight trouser. And, I could see her underwear and all of the guys on the train were staring at her voluptuous butt. So that's ok? After we got off the train, I asked her the purpose of her hijab when she is wearing such clothes. Do you know what she said to me? 'You don't even wear hijab so don't lecture me'. I was shocked.

I shop at the men's section. I wear clothes which are so so so baggy (long jumpers and loose track bottoms). You can't even see my figure. So, just because I don't wear hijab but cover the rest of my body with baggy clothes, I'm still destined for hell? Lol you guys make me laugh with your double standards.

(Not saying everyone has this kind of mentality but whoever does should try reevaluate theirs.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saba XD)
    This thread has thoroughly stressed me, and got worse with every post. I can't believe there are so many judgemental people on here. I'm Muslim and because I don't wear hijab, that makes me a muslim just by name? Who the hell are you to make such a statement about non hijabis? So, according to you, they aren't muslim enough and will not go to Jannah? Alhamdullilah, I have read the Qur'an and I pray five times a day. So, if I don't wear hijab, people will not take me seriously as a Muslim. What a stupid statement to make. And, my sister is a hijabi, and I'm not. But, let me tell you she gets more compliments than me out on the streets.

Also, I've seen many hijabis with see through clothing and tons of makeup. They also only have guys as friends.

I, on the other hand don't have any guy friends in real life, I don't hang out with guys like I've seen most hijabis do.

Once, I saw a hijab with skin coloured tight tight trouser. And, I could see her underwear and all of the guys on the train were staring at her voluptuous butt. So that's ok? After we got off the train, I asked her the purpose of her hijab when she is wearing such clothes. Do you know what she said to me? 'You don't even wear hijab so don't lecture me'. I was shocked.

I shop at the men's section. I wear clothes which are so so so baggy (long jumpers and loose track bottoms). You can't even see my figure. So, just because I don't wear hijab but cover the rest of my body with baggy clothes, I'm still destined for hell? Lol you guys make me laugh with your double standards.

(Not saying everyone has this kind of mentality but whoever does should try reevaluate theirs.)
    I wish there were more open minded people like you.

You're awesome :top::top:

ReputationRep:

I think only one person sorta said that. The vast majority of Muslims in the thread didn't say anything along those lines.

What you said is correct. If anyone says otherwise, ignore them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm so so so scared tho. People are 100% going to stare and talk about me behind my back
    There's gonna be a few of your friends who might dislike your decision, but all others would probably prefer that you dont wear a hijab.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessBO$$)
    I wish there were more open minded people like you.

You're awesome :top::top:
    :kiss:

ReputationRep:
    If you've worn a hijab your whole life, how will your neighbors recognize you without?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IdeasForLife)
    I think only one person sorta said that. The vast majority of Muslims in the thread didn't say anything along those lines.

What you said is correct. If anyone says otherwise, ignore them.
    But, the other Muslims didn't question the person who said that. Gives off a wrong impression. :/

ReputationRep:
    Take it of if you want to, don't wear it if you don't want to. If your Mum is fine with it then no one else opinion really matters. It's your life to live. Do what YOU want to do.

Ps, I don't think it's fair to say Muslim women to cover up yet the men don't? Quite hypocritical 👀

ReputationRep:
    The fact that this person thought I was judging. I just asked the purpose of the person's hijab. The main point of hijab is not to draw attention to oneself right? So, I just asked the person politely. I didn't say that it doesn't make her a muslim. I'm also surprised how that person got a rep. :lol:
    Now you know never to ask :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EastGuava)
    Wearing a hijab doesn't actually make someone a Muslim
    Exactly. And, not wearing one doesn't make one not muslim.

ReputationRep:
    But, the other Muslims didn't question the person who said that. Gives off a wrong impression. :/
    I guess that's true. But I think most of the other Muslims probably didn't read that post because it came on in the latter pages of the thread(if we're both thinking of the same post). So that's probably their excuse.

I haven't really got much of an excuse though as I did read the post whilst I was quoting someone else. I will quote the person next time if I see someone posting something similar insha'Allah.

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I've been wearing the hijab since primary school. I'm 19 now and I'm going to enrol for uni tommorrow. This summer I've been comtemplating taking the hijab off. I'm not a particulary devout muslim and I just feel like the hijab is a barrier. At work there are no other hijabis and I just feel out of place at times. A lot of the times people make assumptions about me based on the hijab when I usually believe in the complete opposite.

My mums fine with me taking it off but I'm really scared. I'm going to be commuting from home to uni. I live in a tight knit muslim community and I went to school with most of them (majority of them will also be attending the same uni as me)..A lot of them are brutal when it comes to things like this.. I pretty much know that they're going to stare and brand me a **** and I'm just not ready for that. Also ngl the men here are creepy perves. My sister who doesn't wear a scarf gets wolf whistled, stared at and on a couple of occassions has been followed. Right now wearing the scarf is protecting me from all that crap.

My sisters say I should take it off. They say that in the long term its more of a hinderance. Personally, I'm in two minds. Part of me wants to take it off but another part wants to just keep it on because life is easier that way. A friend of mine said to me that my argument to keep it on never once mentioned religion so clearly I'm not wearing it for god so I should take it off but idk what to do guys. I still haven't uploaded a uni photo for my enrolment tommorrow because I don't know if should upload one with or without my scarf
    You know, the decision is yours. You decided after reading the many posts?

I'd not say take it of, or leave it on. But it does have a relgious significance, but you're not religious, so perhaps go to the shop without it on, see the reaction? If not as bad then maybe wear it ar times, gradually reducing it as weeks go by. Or like a plaster wrip it off (not literally) but take it off put up with the rubbish if it's dished out in rime it may reduce.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IdeasForLife)
    I guess that's true. But I think most of the other Muslims probably didn't read that post because it came on in the latter pages of the thread(if we're both thinking of the same post). So that's probably their excuse.

I haven't really got much of an excuse though as I did read the post whilst I was quoting someone else. I will quote the person next time if I see someone posting something similar insha'Allah.
    Insha Allah.

ReputationRep:
    x
    Why not take it off, but start wearing a hat in public (slouch beanie would be the best) and see if anyone notices. Then take it from there.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so so so scared tho. People are 100% going to stare and talk about me behind my back
    Personally, I think you should take off the hijab. Those who mock you for it are only digging a hole under their feet.

"If by renouncing a lesser happiness one may realize a greater happiness, let the wise man renounce the lesser, having regard for the greater."

"As an elephant in the battlefield withstands arrows shot from bows all around, even so shall I endure abuse. There are many, indeed, who lack virtue."

- Buddha

ReputationRep:
    I have cleaned out this thread and removed anything that was just people debating Islam. Much as we all appreciate a good discussion, this thread is not the place, at all, for a debate on religion. This was a thread in which the OP sought advice on a matter they had opened up about. The OP explicitly stated that the debate was not what they wanted, nor was it helping them (See: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post67641546).

Thus, I find it a great shame people couldn't swallow their views on the subject and adhere to the OP's wishes. Again, this thread was not one to begin a debate. There are other sections on the forum, as you all know, where you can debate religion.

The thread will be opened now, and I ask that everyone treats the OP with much more respect from here on in.

Thanks.

You can gradually stop wearing your hijab to make it a smoother transition. I have a friend who did it like this. She started to change the style of her hijab e.g turning it into bandana style, and then starting to show just her fringe/hairline and then eventually taking it off completely but still keeping her hair up/in a bun so it looked similar to how the bandana made her look.

Whatever you do remember it is YOUR CHOICE and yours alone.

Life is too short, just do whatever you want. It doesn't matter what you do, you will get judged anyway... Just forget about them and do what you want.

ReputationRep:

This is so true. When people say Islam must change : they r wrong. It's the PEOPLE!!!! That need to change

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How do you eat your pizza

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.