Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

How many personal statements do I need to write if...

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know how many personal statements I need to write if I'm applying for 3 different courses across 2 universities. I'm applying for 2 physics courses, 2 mechanical engineering courses and 1 marine engineering course. Couldn't find any information online. I think I heard my teacher mention briefly that I would need to write a personal statement for each type of course but I would like some confirmation. So if this is the case would I be right in saying I would have to write 3 ? One each for the 2 different Engineering courses and another for the Physics course ?

Thanks,
    Ross.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In the vast majority of cases 1, as UCAS only allows space for 1, however if applying for a variety of courses some unit may allow alternative personal statements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RossB1702)
    Does anybody know how many personal statements I need to write if I'm applying for 3 different courses across 2 universities. I'm applying for 2 physics courses, 2 mechanical engineering courses and 1 marine engineering course. Couldn't find any information online. I think I heard my teacher mention briefly that I would need to write a personal statement for each type of course but I would like some confirmation. So if this is the case would I be right in saying I would have to write 3 ? One each for the 2 different Engineering courses and another for the Physics course ?

Thanks,
    Ross.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    With very few exceptions, you're only allowed to write one personal statement. It is generally not at all advised to apply for significantly different courses at different universities because that indicates that you're indecisive and haven't thought things through properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexS101)
    In the vast majority of cases 1, as UCAS only allows space for 1, however if applying for a variety of courses some unit may allow alternative personal statements.
    Thanks, I'll need to look into it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    With very few exceptions, you're only allowed to write one personal statement. It is generally not at all advised to apply for significantly different courses at different universities because that indicates that you're indecisive and haven't thought things through properly.
    Really ? I see people applying for at least 2 different courses all the time. I know someone who applied for 4 completely different courses at 2 universities as well.

Thanks for the advice, I'll ask my teacher about it next week.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Really ? I see people applying for at least 2 different courses all the time. I know someone who applied for 4 completely different courses at 2 universities as well.

Thanks for the advice, I'll ask my teacher about it next week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It does happen all the time but that doesn't mean it's a good idea!

ReputationRep:
    Bear in mind that unis can see what you are applying for at their uni, and they can see your PS too, even if you send an alternative one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    Bear in mind that unis can see what you are applying for at their uni, and they can see your PS too, even if you send an alternative one
    What's wrong if they see my other personal statements ? As long as I don't say super cliche things like "ever since I was a child I've always been interested in..." for all my personal statements, otherwise they'd know I was lying lol. Thanks for the advice though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong if they see my other personal statements ? As long as I don't say super cliche things like "ever since I was a child I've always been interested in..." for all my personal statements, otherwise they'd know I was lying lol. Thanks for the advice though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's not a case of thinking you are lying. It's a case of thinking that you're not dedicated to the course. Unis are less likely to give you an offer if they think you are indecisive. And there's no guarantee unis will accept an alternative PS anyway

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering this, I want to apply to Oxford for ppe and Lse for economics but you can only write one personal statement, so I can't accommodate for both courses in one statement because that would make it weaker. So I'd have to drop one course which I'd rather not do or write two personal statements if I'm allowed. Is there any way you can get permission to write and send through two personal statements?

ReputationRep:
    It's not a case of thinking you are lying. It's a case of thinking that you're not dedicated to the course. Unis are less likely to give you an offer if they think you are indecisive. And there's no guarantee unis will accept an alternative PS anyway
    Fair enough, I think I'll be alright though. As I said earlier I know people who have applied for 4 different courses and got 4 offers for each course. I looked online and it said that if you have applied for more than one different courses then you'll have to carefully word your essay so that it relates to both of the courses. I think I could make it work, but that's only the case if they don't allow me to write more than one PS though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Proximo)
    I was wondering this, I want to apply to Oxford for ppe and Lse for economics but you can only write one personal statement, so I can't accommodate for both courses in one statement because that would make it weaker. So I'd have to drop one course which I'd rather not do or write two personal statements if I'm allowed. Is there any way you can get permission to write and send through two personal statements?
    I contacted UCAS via Facebook asking them, if you want I'll tell you what they told me once they get back to me or you contact them yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Proximo)
    LSE are very particular about their PS. Why not apply for economics and management at Oxford? You could do that with a PS for economics

Fair enough, I think I'll be alright though. As I said earlier I know people who have applied for 4 different courses and got 4 offers for each course. I looked online and it said that if you have applied for more than one different courses then you'll have to carefully word your essay so that it relates to both of the courses. I think I could make it work, but that's only the case if they don't allow me to write more than one PS though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    While that may be the case, it's by no means guaranteed. You should instead focus on one (or two very closely related) course and apply for just that. But I can only advise you, I can't do it for you

ReputationRep:
    I contacted UCAS via Facebook asking them, if you want I'll tell you what they told me once they get back to me or you contact them yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you could tell me what they told you that would be very helpful thanks - but if it's too much trouble dw about it

ReputationRep:
    LSE are very particular about their PS. Why not apply for economics and management at Oxford? You could do that with a PS for economics
    Idk, I've been thinking about ppe for years, like since year 7 lol. I heard economics and management is almost impossible to get into, harder than ppe, not sure if I could do it. I think I stand a chance for ppe tho.

ReputationRep:

While that may be the case, it's by no means guaranteed. You should instead focus on one (or two very closely related) course and apply for just that. But I can only advise you, I can't do it for you
    All the courses I am applying for have a great deal of maths, physics and problem solving, I could relate it to that as I really enjoy those subjects and being challenged. If I decide to take your advice I would probably drop the physics and focus on the 2 engineering courses, mechanical and marine engineering are most likely heavily related.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    All the courses I am applying for have a great deal of maths, physics and problem solving, I could relate it to that as I really enjoy those subjects and being challenged. If I decide to take your advice I would probably drop the physics and focus on the 2 engineering courses, mechanical and marine engineering are most likely heavily related.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    While they may be linked in that way, you are expected to say something along the lines of 'I am interested in maths/physics/engineering', which is where you will become stuck. And the maths is used slightly differently, so you would be expected to talk about slightly different focuses for your specific interests. It could be more forgiven if your course choice was unusual, but almost all unis will have maths/physics and a significant number do engineerin

ReputationRep:
    So basically I'm applying for 2 different types of engineering courses and a physics course across 3 universities I would like to know how i could talk about all 3 of them in one personal statement as UCAS only allows space for one personal statement. Does anyone have any first hand experience with this ? Any advice and feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Title should say: Has anyone applied for several different courses at university ? How did you talk about all these courses in one personal statement ?

Don't know what happened there lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've changed the thread title for you. Generally this isn't a good idea unless the courses are very similar. You don't want to come across as confused or undecided in your PS. You need to first pick wither engineering or physics because one is pure and one is applied. Then you need to either pick one type of engineering or general engineering. With a confused statement you run the risk of being rejected.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How do you eat your pizza
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.