The Student Room Group

A level Biology HELP!!

What disaccharide is formed when alpha glucose and beta glucose bond?
Also why is it important that the two isomers of glucose exist?

Thanks!
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
bump
Reply 3
It is a disaccaride as it is two different monomers joining together to make 1 'thing' for lack of a better word. If you are asking why its not a polysaccaride it is because it is not a repeating unit but just two joined together by a glycosidic bond. I am not sure how much of that makes sense to you but it is the only way it makes sense in my head
Original post by Jehaan
It is a disaccaride as it is two different monomers joining together to make 1 'thing' for lack of a better word. If you are asking why its not a polysaccaride it is because it is not a repeating unit but just two joined together by a glycosidic bond. I am not sure how much of that makes sense to you but it is the only way it makes sense in my head

He's asking what disaccharide it would make as in maltose etc (i don't think that's the answer )

Sorry I don't know the answer to the first part but the second part I assume is because they make different structures .
Eg alpha glucose joined to get her to make polysaccharides like starch and glycogen which are very good for energy storage but beta glucose joins together to make cellulose which has a durable rigid structure making it adapted to its function of making cell walls (cell walls keep plant cells in their shape)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest