Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Why do Brexiters oppose a second referendum?

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    Why do Brexiters oppose a referendum on the terms of Brexit? You're always going on about democracy but surely once we actually know what the terms of exit are then people should be able to vote on it to see if its what they actually wanted.

People had no idea what deal they would get when they voted to leave the EU and leave voters all had very different opinions on what deal should be obtained so why exactly is it a bad idea to see if the majority of the country actually approves the deal we get or if they want to remain in the EU? All I ever seem to hear from brexiters is "we had a vote get over it" or "you hate democracy" but surely denying people a right to vote on the deal we actually get is undemocratic. Are you just afraid the result wouldn't be what you want this time?

ReputationRep:
    >why do brexiters oppose a second referendum
    Because there's no need for one. The majority voted out, so out we go.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 35
Size:  26.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    I don't

ReputationRep:
    You're a massive hypocrite and this has been discussed TO FKIN DEATH.

ReputationRep:
    ignore known troll

ReputationRep:
    bc they've won once and are scared of losing the second time. there's also very little point.
    if they were to have a second referendum they'd have to let 16 and 17 year olds vote and know exactly what would happen if we did leave. i wanted to remain but tbh i'm not bothered about whether we have a second referendum or not, i'm done with this *****y country.

ReputationRep:
    People who would want to stay would easily win. So the people who left have no choice but to force on with the first.
    Its undemocratic but its what we got.
    I suggest we stay unified... and weather the storm.... **** the establishment.

ReputationRep:
    The result was clear. If those people you mention had no idea then they should've done their research and come to an informed decision. Idiots. Fantasizing about a second referendum is nonsensical since it won't happen. Perhaps people should just accept the situation and move on.

ReputationRep:
    Not a bad idea I mean why don't we want a second election as well, after all the country did not know what they were going to get when they Voted in a Tory Government.

I think we should always re run every election or referendum until we get whatever the childish cry baby whiny left wing get there way. After all anyone that disagrees with them, are not people that have had different experiences in life they are racist stupid scum and there opinion should never count for anything.

Only opinions that agree with you should count.

besides most of them are old and will be dead in ten years time anyway so why are they even allowed to vote, their opinion does not matter.

ReputationRep:
    The EU isn't negotiating until article 50 is invoked. That will be invoked next year. Once that is invoked there is no turning back. We will be kicked out of the EU in 2 years, whether we have negotiated a deal or not. The UK wouldn't be in a position to offer a referendum on staying in because us staying in would need to be agreed by the EU.

ReputationRep:
    I'll take that bait, 2 reasons:

1) Why would the won side wants to do it again, considering they have got the most desirable outcome.

2) 2nd referendum would discredit all referendum's results, there would be calls for a 3rd and 4th etc... Until we stop at one point and the result would not even be respected.

ReputationRep:
    0/10. No effort whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carthaginian)
    >why do brexiters oppose a second referendum
    Because there's no need for one. The majority voted out, so out we go.
    Another Brexiter who doesn't seem to be able to read. This is not about a rerun of the referendum. We had a referendum based on hypotheticals and no clear idea of what leaving the EU actually meant, we don't know if we'll keep freedom of movement or access to the free market. So what's exactly wrong with holding a vote on the deal we actually obtain when we have a better idea of what the implications actually are? I'm sure a lot of leave voters would not be too happy if we ended up not getting the access to the free market like promised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intelligent con)
    Another Brexiter who doesn't seem to be able to read. This is not about a rerun of the referendum. We had a referendum based on hypotheticals and no clear idea of what leaving the EU actually meant, we don't know if we'll keep freedom of movement or access to the free market. So what's exactly wrong with holding a vote on the deal we actually obtain when we have a better idea of what the implications actually are? I'm sure a lot of leave voters would not be too happy if we ended up not getting the access to the free market like promised.
    How exactly would this work we invoke article 50 which automatically puts us out of the United States of Europe (they aren't even hiding this is the goal now) in 2 years then for some reason they let us back in after based on what remainers say we have a failing economy and we have mass hate crime and ww3 is occurring, why would they let us in if everything bad predicted happens? Or do these things not happen and remain gets proven wrong and wants to Rejoin?

Or is it a vote on a deal we haven't got? Or do we release our negotiating position to the world?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intelligent con)
    But the real question is: who are you to say that people were lied to and that people weren't expecting Brexit to be what it might turn out to be now?

I think if you dig a little deeper intellectually, past your prejudice and obsessions, you'll find that everything you just said is your own view and your own interpretation of things. Thankfully, democracy (more specifically, the referendum) is here and designed to negate the effects of people like you, who just doesn't accept reality and the fact that a majority of people think differently to you.

Sorry if it's a little strongly worded - but debate on 2nd referendum always triggers me. You can't just hide behind a pseudo-moral argument and at the same time saying that we should ignore a referendum, which was hotly debated for more than 1 year before we voted.

ReputationRep:
    Brexiters would definitely have supported a second referendum if remain won by the same margins.

ReputationRep:
    Setting aside everything else, a second referendum would set an incredibly dangerous precedent; it also smacks of an anti-democratic, authoritarian, you-didn't-vote-right-the-first-time-so-vote-again state (just like the EU).

We held a vote. Everyone agreed on the terms before the vote. One side won. Just accept the f****** result and move on already people: Brexiteers would have shut up long ago if Remain had won.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IkeaLamp)
    Brexiters would definitely have supported a second referendum if remain won by the same margins.
    Well Clinton supporters would definitely like a second vote if Trump wins, and Trump supporters would definitely like a second vote if Hillary wins. However That is not how Democracy is supposed to work.

Had my side (voted out) lost I would have liked a second referendum sure, but I would not have expected one demanded one or asked for one. I would have accepted the result and got in with my life, Because in a fair Democracy that is how it should be. I would not constantly be lobbying for a second vote.

BTW Deutsche bank have a lot of financial risk and there is a significant risk of potential collapse there, not to mention the looming Italian banking crises, and the Greece situation has not gone away either. Also the high numbers of Youth unemployment spread across Europe.

Further the consistent political instability and Angela Merkels desire to take anyone in from anywhere who can then come to Britain through the EU system all pose serious unpredictable risk. I am not going to get into how that would play out over the coming decades because in truth no one knows. However a future in Europe has a lot of uncertainty and poses a lot of risk as well.

The truth is whichever decision we chose posed significant unpredictable risk, I however felt that in an uncertain unpredictable world I would rather we as a country were in charge of our own destiny then been dictated to through a foreign body whom we have little control over. I concur we did not fully understand what Brexit meant we still don't. We also did not fully understand what remain meant, and we still don't.

By saying what this meant I mean we do not understand what it means in terms of our future, we all knew what decision we were voting for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saraxh)
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 35
Size:  26.2 KB
    :laugh:

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who is going to win Bake Off?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.