Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Why do Brexiters oppose a second referendum?

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    The reason for not wanting another referendum is simple: if there was a second referendum, the majority of the British population would vote in because they now know the consequences of leaving.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with a referendum on our EU deal but we shouldn't have a second EU referendum on the terms of In/Out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d010534)
    The reason for not wanting another referendum is simple: if there was a second referendum, the majority of the British population would vote in because they now know the consequences of leaving.
    What consequences? World war 3? Bank crash? Market crash? Businesses leaving? Sky rocket taxes? I'm seeing none of it except a devalued currency which is a sense is a good thing. We should be focusing on how we move forward not trying to reverse the decision

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    What consequences? World war 3? Bank crash? Market crash? Businesses leaving? Sky rocket taxes? I'm seeing none of it except a devalued currency which is a sense is a good thing. We should be focusing on how we move forward not trying to reverse the decision
    Listen, I'm not trying to start a fight. I'm stating the obvious.
    Spoiler:
    Show

As for the consequences, there are quite a few, and you did mention some of them yourself - "market crash" and "sky rocket taxes".

ReputationRep:
    It's a b8 thread stop replying!!!

ReputationRep:
    Well it would be a bit embarassing if they saw their 'win' get tossed out now that most people can see it was based ENTIRELY on lies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IkeaLamp)
    Brexiters would definitely have supported a second referendum if remain won by the same margins.
    and?

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

As for the consequences, there are quite a few, and you did mention some of them yourself - "market crash" and "sky rocket taxes".
    FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT! LAMP HIM [or her]!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone worked a less than minimum wage job 90 hours a week, I doubt it on here.

Those are the people that voted to leave and so did I. It couldn't possibly get any worse for these people so obviously any change is welcome.

How is it under europe we ended up with 0 hours contracts and less than minimum wage? So much for individual rights!

I look after 2 people who fought to save Europe and they voted to leave as well, you know why?

The only people they see work for less than minimum wage and cant afford to wipe their arse! So they sit there wondering wtf they did it all for.

Personally I think a euro state was a good idea poorly incepted.

If Europe says we have rights where should the main bulk of your thought process be? On YOUR rights? Or on your responsibility to respect the rights of the millions of other europeans? Human rights should have been human responsibility.

The argument is always about trade and business, you think people eating on £3 a day working 60+ hour weeks give a **** about trade!?

Brexit it great, its the biggest opportunity since WW2 to put things right for millions of **** on people competeing with cheap labour and endless ********.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Well it would be a bit embarassing if they saw their 'win' get tossed out now that most people can see it was based ENTIRELY on lies.
    I know and this emergency budget because of this huge recession caused by ww3 is terrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    I know and this emergency budget because of this huge recession caused by ww3 is terrible.
    I know right, it's not like the pound did actually fall through the flaw, the balance of trade is still **** and will progressively get worse and so on right?

ReputationRep:
    Why does there need to be a second referendum? Let's see what Theresa May is going to pull out of her magic hat first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    I know right, it's not like the pound did actually fall through the flaw, the balance of trade is still **** and will progressively get worse and so on right?
    Nobody said the 1st point wouldn't happen, so something that was **** is still **** and for how long will it recover eventually? The experts remain love did say it would eventually match the projections of EU trade

ReputationRep:
    Because you can't keep having referendums when things don't go your way. This is just like wee kranky sturgeon trying to get another Scottish independence referendum because she wasn't happy with the last one.
    Democracy has spoken alohaaaaa

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Market crashes were purely reactionary because of the fear built around Brexit, and what taxes have sky rocketed? 🤔

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intelligent con)
    Why do Brexiters oppose a referendum on the terms of Brexit? You're always going on about democracy but surely once we actually know what the terms of exit are then people should be able to vote on it to see if its what they actually wanted.
    For one, it's not decisive. You vote against one deal, but we still have voted for Brexit... what's the outcome? There's no straightforward choice there. Do we have votes on different agreements until one wins? It's hardly a reasonable way to run a referendum.

so why exactly is it a bad idea to see if the majority of the country actually approves the deal we get or if they want to remain in the EU?
    There's no question about remaining - there is a question about the details of the deal and that's fair - but if you're seriously contended we should have a "remain" option on a ballot paper, well, no - that's already been decided.

I was a strong Remain voter, by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carthaginian)
    >why do brexiters oppose a second referendum
    Because there's no need for one. The majority voted out, so out we go.
    Tell him

ReputationRep:
    Why should there not be a referendum over the deal? Because it's a waste of money, the only people who will vote against it are those who don't think it a hard enough exit and the retarded remoaners who think it will get us back in rather than simply leading to the hardest brexit possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    0/10 Troll

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Why should there not be a referendum over the deal? Because it's a waste of money, the only people who will vote against it are those who don't think it a hard enough exit and the retarded remoaners who think it will get us back in rather than simply leading to the hardest brexit possible.
    Is there a Commons majority for any particular Brexit?

Will May call an election on the terms of any particular Brexit?

In many ways a second referendum is May's best way forward.

No Conservative politician will commit himself in advance to saying he will back the negotiated departure terms whatever they may be; and that is perfectly right. No-one can claim a mandate for any particular Brexit from the referendum result because Leave didn't table a Leave platform in order to maximise support.

All the other parties beyond the DUP and the single UKIP MP backed Remain and none of them including the DUP and UKIP would regard themselves as bound to support any particular Brexit deal.

Laying particular Brexit terms before the voters in a general election is possibly the only way May can lose the next election.

A second referendum with the threat that a "no" vote won't be taken as a Remain vote but a vote to go back to the table to renegotiate Brexit doesn't look quite so bad.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which would you rather be...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.