Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Books to mention in medicine personal statement

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I'm applying for medicine this year, and I was wondering if there are any books to read regarding medicine (to show some wider reading on personal statement)?

Also, just to clarify, I will read those books, I'm not just going to blindly put them on my personal statement so dw.
    Anything other than The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat pls because the book was a bit terrifying tbh...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d010534)
    Hi
    I'm applying for medicine this year, and I was wondering if there are any books to read regarding medicine (to show some wider reading on personal statement)?

Also, just to clarify, I will read those books, I'm not just going to blindly put them on my personal statement so dw.
    Anything other than The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat pls because the book was a bit terrifying tbh...
    I wouldn't to be honest - putting a book in doesn't really show much and it's better to use the words for discussing your work experience or extra curriculars or soft skills. You're reading the book now and putting it in, but the personal statement might not be read until March when you're interviewed. If you're asked a question about the book in March next year - would you be able to remember it in enough detail to make an impressive response?

ReputationRep:
    I've put bad science by Ben goldacre on mine, plus a few others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    I wouldn't to be honest - putting a book in doesn't really show much and it's better to use the words for discussing your work experience or extra curriculars or soft skills. You're reading the book now and putting it in, but the personal statement might not be read until March when you're interviewed. If you're asked a question about the book in March next year - would you be able to remember it in enough detail to make an impressive response?
    I disagree, saying you have read something shows you have tried to advance beyond the curriculum and for medicine that is very impressive. It also shows you are truly committed to learning medicine and you have interesting things to discuss at interview if you've mentioned them. If you read the books now you can make notes on key concepts you might want to say at interview , so you don't forget. I think this would be better than not reading at all...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uni12345678)
    I've put bad science by Ben goldacre on mine, plus a few others
    Others like?? Care to elaborate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    HELP I HAVE LITERALLY NO EXTRA-CURRICULARS (I might start karate tho)

As for remembering key ideas, I would re-read it again before the interview (that is, if I even get an interview )

ReputationRep:
    I read Do No Harm by Henry Marsh, it was really useful for getting an insight into
    the medical profession and so I found it easy to write about what I learnt. Also
    many universities suggest reading tomorrows doctors but that isn't really a book.

ReputationRep:
    Anything you read in a book is going to be at least a few years out of date before you even start

I'd have thought listening to 'inside medicine' http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b019...odes/downloads
    In particular I note they've had a couple of recent episodes titled 'Why become a doctor?' - I listen to it in the car and I wonder if anyone of the aspiring medics on TSR is listening in.

but TBH that's really just a guess - I've no interest in ever learning medicine myself

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who will be the next permanent England boss?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.