Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Medicine advice post-grad

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, I am new to the forums I just wanted a bit of insight and guidance on my application this year. I have recently graduated from King's with a 1st in Pharmacy. I received a full scholarship (STEM) for this, which was only offered to 30 students at King's. I also have a research project that I conducted at St. Thomas Hospital that is set to be published. For my A levels I achieved AAB in Biology, Chemistry and Maths and B in computing and B in critical thinking at AS. I have work experience in primary and secondary care and I am currently conducting my pre-reg pharmacy at a flagship London boots store.

My downfall is the UKCAT, I am terrible at it. I have not taken it yet and it is due on the 28th. Currently using the Medic Portal to revise.

Does anyone have advice on where I should apply, and whether there are chances of a loan from SFE for the 5 year course?

I am fully determined to study medicine.

ReputationRep:
    For grad med, the UKCAT is really important for a lot of places. I'd say just practice as much as you can for it over the next 9 days to do as well as possible and then you'll know better where to apply etc.

If you're applying for a mix of 4 and 5 year courses, you'll probably have more of a chance getting into a 5 year course with a lower UKCAT, but there is no tuition fee loan for graduates on the 5 year course, only a maintenance loan, so you'd need to have £9k a year available for each of the next 4 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hasaanh)
    Hey all, I am new to the forums I just wanted a bit of insight and guidance on my application this year. I have recently graduated from King's with a 1st in Pharmacy. I received a full scholarship (STEM) for this, which was only offered to 30 students at King's. I also have a research project that I conducted at St. Thomas Hospital that is set to be published. For my A levels I achieved AAB in Biology, Chemistry and Maths and B in computing and B in critical thinking at AS. I have work experience in primary and secondary care and I am currently conducting my pre-reg pharmacy at a flagship London boots store.

My downfall is the UKCAT, I am terrible at it. I have not taken it yet and it is due on the 28th. Currently using the Medic Portal to revise.

Does anyone have advice on where I should apply, and whether there are chances of a loan from SFE for the 5 year course?

I am fully determined to study medicine.
    Hey there,

You can see the answer to your question about the loan in the comment after yours.

For your query about which universities to apply to bearing in mind that you think your UKCAT performance may not be as strong as you hoped, check out this blog:
    Where to apply with a low UKCAT score

You should also consider applying to BMAT universities! Have you looked into the BMAT?

Hope this helps,
    The Medic Portal

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who is going to win Bake Off?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.