The Student Room Group

Just how competitive is Law? Reapplying dilemma.

Hey all,

I've already posted this in the Law subforum, but thought it might be a good idea to post here as well.

I'm really unsure about the current university I'm scheduled to go to - a top London one (for Law). Mainly, I have a lot of concerns about poor student satisfaction, reports of very poor social life, bad teaching, and just London issues in general etc.

I've considered taking a gap year (I'm taking one regardless so I would be able to make the most of and I'm not adverse to it) and applying again to prestigious but more student-friendly universities, and probably one or two in London again simply because it's difficult to avoid the trap of applying to the 'best' unis possible.

However, I understand that Law is a competitive course, and even though I have pretty perfect grades, I can't be sure of where I'll end up. I'd really hate to reapply and end up somewhere 'worse' or with no offers at all. I will admit I have really good grades (I don't want to be accused of trolling or showing off or whatever because I'm genuinely anxious) but so do most people. I have some good relevant EC stuff for the personal statement, and have a slight advantage in that my 6th form is poor. I'm not sure if there's any advantage to having actual grades as opposed to predicted.

However, the main unis I would be applying to would be Oxford, LSE, UCL, Durham and a 5th choice I'm not too sure about. Obviously the main 4 are all very competitive. Maybe my local uni Sheffield, or something as a 5th choice - but it's not really ideal.

I guess I'm just asking for advice on my dilemma in general, and peoples experiences with how competitive law admissions are.

Scroll to see replies

What are your grades?
Reply 2
Law seats are one of the most competitive, mainly because they're filled with high achieving students that have no clue what to do and think law is for them. I don't think reapplying would really hurt your chances as universities recognise that students have a number of legitimate reasons for doing so. Also, out of all the universities you've listed, if you can get any one of them you will be perfectly fine as they are all of great prestige. For your 5th uni I'd like to suggest Queen Mary University of London. I know league tables don't count for much, but they're pretty up there in rankings now and their unistats student satisfaction rankings are much higher than the others. Another thing I do like about it is that it's a campus university just a short ride away from central london. Best of both worlds :u:
Original post by Abstract_Prism
What are your grades?

8A*s and 4As at GCSE. 4As at AS. 3A*s at A-Level. I know these grades are pretty solid but I'm anxious about factors that are more subjective like the Personal Statement (which LSE is pretty big on) and the LNAT (Oxford, Durham, UCL).
Original post by Whippersniffer
8A*s and 4As at GCSE. 4As at AS. 3A*s at A-Level. I know these grades are pretty solid but I'm anxious about factors that are more subjective like the Personal Statement (which LSE is pretty big on) and the LNAT (Oxford, Durham, UCL).

You needn't worry.
Original post by Stickies
Law seats are one of the most competitive, mainly because they're filled with high achieving students that have no clue what to do and think law is for them. I don't think reapplying would really hurt your chances as universities recognise that students have a number of legitimate reasons for doing so. Also, out of all the universities you've listed, if you can get any one of them you will be perfectly fine as they are all of great prestige. For your 5th uni I'd like to suggest Queen Mary University of London. I know league tables don't count for much, but they're pretty up there in rankings now and their unistats student satisfaction rankings are much higher than the others. Another thing I do like about it is that it's a campus university just a short ride away from central london. Best of both worlds :u:

Thanks for the response. And I get what you mean about people just picking Law for the sake of it. I am actually quite passionate about Law as an academic subject (I quite like Jurisprudence and legal theory), so maybe that would shine through in my personal statement. While I don't think reapplying in itself will go against me, I guess I'm just worried of rejections given how competitive they all are - especially with things like the LNAT and the PS. Not sure if I'll have the guts for it. Thanks for the suggestion of QMUL, but in all honesty I'm trying not to focus too much on London as I think it might be one of the reasons I have concerns with my current uni. It does seem like a great uni if London is more your thing though!
Original post by Abstract_Prism
You needn't worry.

Thanks for the reassurance - I guess I'm just quite an anxious person if you can't tell haha. I'm still not sure if I'll actually reapply, just because I'm so scared of rejections.
Any other opinions?
Any other opinions?

No offence but you have 3A*s, you can do anything you like with those grades. You could do medicine at Cambridge or Oxford if you took chemistry. If you want to do Law, do it, just make sure you do work experience and research.
Original post by BlueCow
No offence but you have 3A*s, you can do anything you like with those grades. You could do medicine at Cambridge or Oxford if you took chemistry. If you want to do Law, do it, just make sure you do work experience and research.

I do have work experience and have done research and wider reading etc., although the former definitely wouldn't be necessary. I guess I just feel that the emphasis on the largely subjective personal statement, and LNAT, don't make it quite as simple as an automatic acceptance if I were doing say Biology. The offer rates at places like UCL,Oxford, LSE are incredibly low (25%<), and I guess I just still feel anxious that I could be signing up for failure if I give up my current place.
I do have work experience and have done research and wider reading etc., although the former definitely wouldn't be necessary. I guess I just feel that the emphasis on the largely subjective personal statement, and LNAT, don't make it quite as simple as an automatic acceptance if I were doing say Biology. The offer rates at places like UCL,Oxford, LSE are incredibly low (25%<:wink:, and I guess I just still feel anxious that I could be signing up for failure if I give up my current place.

What's your current place at?
Original post by BlueCow
What's your current place at?

It's a top London uni and it would be one that I'm reapplying to and have listed. I have a lot of concerns about my current uni, and thought reapplying would maybe allow me to broaden my options a little instead of tying me down to a certain place I'm not entirely sure about.
It's a top London uni and it would be one that I'm reapplying to and have listed. I have a lot of concerns about my current uni, and thought reapplying would maybe allow me to broaden my options a little instead of tying me down to a certain place I'm not entirely sure about.

Well if you have a place for law at ucl or lse and you want to reapply, then you are mad. Even with the grades, there's no guarantee of Oxbridge. If it's QMUL you have a place at then go for it and reapply.
Original post by BlueCow
Well if you have a place for law at ucl or lse and you want to reapply, then you are mad. Even with the grades, there's no guarantee of Oxbridge. If it's QMUL you have a place at then go for it and reapply.

It's not about a guarantee of Oxbridge, or even Oxbridge at all. I have a lot of reservations about the quality of teaching and social life at my current institution, as well as the expense of it. I don't think there's anything 'mad' about looking into alternatives if you aren't entirely certain about your current place.
It's not about a guarantee of Oxbridge, or even Oxbridge at all. I have a lot of reservations about the quality of teaching and social life at my current institution, as well as the expense of it. I don't think there's anything 'mad' about looking into alternatives if you aren't entirely certain about your current place.

I disagree, those universities are great and have excellent reputations and will offer great career prospects and many people would agree with me. But it's totally up to you, it's your future but that's my opinion and my last piece of input
Original post by BlueCow
I disagree, those universities are great and have excellent reputations and will offer great career prospects and many people would agree with me. But it's totally up to you, it's your future but that's my opinion and my last piece of input

It's quite obvious from statistics that they don't have good reputations for student satisfaction, and career prospects aren't entirely dependent on universities. You're entitled to your opinion of course.
Any last input haha - really need to make a decision soon and I'm still confused as ever :redface:
A bit of a similar dilemma to yours,

I was initially rejected from my firm choice of UCL for Law (I got AAB, when I needed A*AA.) I went through clearing to do Spanish and German at King's, and decided (in September) to get English remarked and it moved from a B to an A* (meeting my offer.)

I'm now in the process of withdrawing from King's and reapplying for Law in 2017. If I were you, I'd go for it.
Original post by Jedwards
A bit of a similar dilemma to yours,

I was initially rejected from my firm choice of UCL for Law (I got AAB, when I needed A*AA.) I went through clearing to do Spanish and German at King's, and decided (in September) to get English remarked and it moved from a B to an A* (meeting my offer.)

I'm now in the process of withdrawing from King's and reapplying for Law in 2017. If I were you, I'd go for it.

Well done. How did they mark it so badly in the first place? Which exam board was it?
Original post by BlueCow
Well done. How did they mark it so badly in the first place? Which exam board was it?

Thank you! I know, it's ridiculous, there was an increase of 41 marks!! I just don't understand how on earth that happens. This was AQA, I've written a complaint to them about this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending