Just one sec...
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Comp4

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    Is it a good idea to make an advanced calculator for my comp4 project? The type that would carry out operations relevant to A level maths (and maybe show working)? I've done some work on this idea so far, but I'm not completely sure if it's good enough.

ReputationRep:
    As a coding project, it is probably fine. But it doesn't exactly stretch the imagination. There are, and have been a gazillion and one scientific calculators. Even the default Windows 10 calculator is pretty good these days to say nothing of the dozens of online calculators. How would your calculator be different or better?

Why not look for a problem in and around your school that needs solving? It is tough, but if you can think of a good project, the good marks will come naturally.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    As a coding project, it is probably fine. But it doesn't exactly stretch the imagination. There are, and have been a gazillion and one scientific calculators. Even the default Windows 10 calculator is pretty good these days to say nothing of the dozens of online calculators. How would your calculator be different or better?

Why not look for a problem in and around your school that needs solving? It is tough, but if you can think of a good project, the good marks will come naturally.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the advice! As much as I'd like to change my project, my teacher won't allow me to because he's been pushy about the whole thing. I was supposed to have had an idea coming back to school 3 weeks ago, but I didn't really have one so this was my best bet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brbrbrh)
    Thanks for the advice! As much as I'd like to change my project, my teacher won't allow me to because he's been pushy about the whole thing. I was supposed to have had an idea coming back to school 3 weeks ago, but I didn't really have one so this was my best bet.
    Fair enough. Well do have a good think about how your calculator can be better than the average calculator? Maybe you could aim it at your A-level maths peers and consult them as to which functions they require?

Good luck!

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who will be the next permanent England boss?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.