The Student Room Group

Why does everyone on TSR want to do medicine?!?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Because STEM
$.
Reply 3
Status and money I've heard most even though most don't realise you are crippling with student loans struggling to pay with a junior dr salary
Reply 4
There are so many other science maths and tech related careers: Architecture, IT, engineering, computer science, scientist, actuary, nursing, forensics, dentistry, accountancy etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
I want to do law, so I've disproved your fact :smile:
The feels when you want to do a non stem that isnt Law.
TSR attracts a certain demographic of student with certain type of parents
lol no offence but i don't know if half the people who want to be doctors actually know what it's like being one...

*sips tea*
because its a safe job with a reliable income, of course other jobs like being a computer scientist pays better but when there is already a pre-established system of getting raises and becoming a consultant to make 70k a year, why put in the effort into trying to establish yourself in different fields.
Well its not suprising that people on a site dedicated to students and education are going to have high academic aspirations
Reply 11
Of course not everyone, but a disproportionately large number of people are interested in medicine yet ironically we have a massive doctor shortage so much so that we have to inport doctors

Posted from TSR Mobile
Only seems that way because there are so many hoops involved in getting into medical school so they're more vocal online. Other uni applications are more straightforward therefore there's less reason to discuss them on here.
Quite simple really: STEM or gtfo :tongue:
Reply 14
I hear that argument actually

Posted from TSR Mobile
it's fun to go on strike
Reply 16
Reply 17
Why do some people over-generalise? Not everyone on here wants to do it, but most people that ask for help do indeed fall under that category, simply because admission is so competitive. For most other degrees, grades are generally enough. But with Medicine that's never the case; every university has a multi-staged process, in which each step, a candidate has to be outstanding. To achieve this, a lot of people understandably call for help.
Original post by PimpNamedSlikbak
because its a safe job with a reliable income, of course other jobs like being a computer scientist pays better but when there is already a pre-established system of getting raises and becoming a consultant to make 70k a year, why put in the effort into trying to establish yourself in different fields.

this might all change if the NHS is privatized.

also forgot to mention- junior doctors work far more than their contracted hours.
it takes a minimum of I think 9 years to get to consultancy level
admin far outweighs clinical in most junior positions
pay isn't great when starting off at F1
It is a respected and reasonably "safe" career choice. Also, people tend to overestimate how well paid doctors are.

Quick Reply

Latest