Just one sec...
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

How to improve at Maths Challenge

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    We were never given them at school but this year (AS) at college we are participating and I'm not very good at the problems so far

How might I go about getting better at them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athematica)
    We were never given them at school but this year (AS) at college we are participating and I'm not very good at the problems so far

How might I go about getting better at them?
    Practice and learn from the solutions.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it fam
    First maths challenge I knew nothing about it, was told on the day and got a bronze
    Second maths challenge, found some past papers and got golds, did the actual paper, got stressed out, got a bronze again. Dem feels.

But nah obviously like with any other test you will become better by looking at previous questions (provided you do not put too much pressure on yourself like I did). In general every question has a, generally fairly cheap, "trick". You will become better at spotting them through practice.
    (well, this is perhaps true of questions past the first ten or so, those early questions tend to be rudimentary, while 10-15 is a little weirder, and 15+ is the actual testing part)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Don't do it fam
    First maths challenge I knew nothing about it, was told on the day and got a bronze
    Second maths challenge, found some past papers and got golds, did the actual paper, got stressed out, got a bronze again. Dem feels.

But nah obviously like with any other test you will become better by looking at previous questions (provided you do not put too much pressure on yourself like I did). In general every question has a, generally fairly cheap, "trick". You will become better at spotting them through practice.
    (well, this is perhaps true of questions past the first ten or so, those early questions tend to be rudimentary, while 10-15 is a little weirder, and 15+ is the actual testing part)
    lol 1st maths challenge was the 2nd day after I got moved to top set
    (I got 0 :rofl:)2nd maths challenge I was 2 marks off a bronze
    fml fam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    lol 1st maths challenge was the 2nd day after I got moved to top set
    (I got 0 :rofl:)2nd maths challenge I was 2 marks off a bronze
    fml fam
    0...but you start with 25, you'd have to get all 25 wrong :beard:

ReputationRep:
    0...but you start with 25, you'd have to get all 25 wrong :beard:
    i guessed them all m8
    I was shocking at maths until later year 11

ReputationRep:
    i guessed them all m8
    I was shocking at maths until later year 11
    You guessed them all and you were wrong in every case..
    The probability of that is 0.3777% if my calculations and memory are correct. xD
    Ah right, we weren't asked as a class to do anything until AS. I also improved in later year 11; I mean I got 58/60 in my Year 10 exam, but I had Bs and As in mocks and things generally didn't "click" until later on.

ReputationRep:
    You guessed them all and you were wrong in every case..
    The probability of that is 0.3777% if my calculations and memory are correct. xD
    Ah right, we weren't asked as a class to do anything until AS. I also improved in later year 11; I mean I got 58/60 in my Year 10 exam, but I had Bs and As in mocks and things generally didn't "click" until later on.
    Yeah. I'm also not sure if I finished the paper... It was the year 10 challenge ok
    lol
    the 2nd one was in y11 (early y11 xD )
    damn
    I got really low A's and one test I got the mark for an A*
    What I never understood was that I was better at GCSE FM than M (in terms of %) :lolwut:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Got a bronze in the AS Physics olympiad tho :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. I'm also not sure if I finished the paper... It was the year 10 challenge ok
    lol
    the 2nd one was in y11 (early y11 xD )
    damn
    I got really low A's and one test I got the mark for an A*
    What I never understood was that I was better at GCSE FM than M (in terms of %) :lolwut:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Got a bronze in the AS Physics olympiad tho :dontknow:
    Maybe the paper is different, I would not know.. :beard:

I did better in A level FM than A Level Maths, all because of 87 in C2.
    Physics Olympaid papers look pretty cool, never did one though.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it fam

how does one improve their level of maths to be able to do imo and bmos?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmansouf)
    how does one improve their level of maths to be able to do imo and bmos?
    IMO is mainly about talent I believe. BMO, well, personally I still find even BMO1 hard, and I'm a maths student. So I think talent is important even there to an extent. But the mundane answer of "practice" still holds, I believe (and would hold for IMO, but I think most could never get into that regardless of how much work they put in).

ReputationRep:
    Maybe the paper is different, I would not know.. :beard:

I did better in A level FM than A Level Maths, all because of 87 in C2.
    Physics Olympaid papers look pretty cool, never did one though.
    You don't wanna know lol
    Stupid C2
    Would recommend :yy:
    :goodnight:

ReputationRep:
    I asked at college about this, hassled teachers, ran around having meetings and they, the college, with my initiative, have now set up a 'Problem Solvers' course for the whole year duration of the 2 years, starting with maths challenge stuff and moving towards NRICH, MAT papers, STEP prep, etc. I would next like to organise a way by which we can do 'extra-curricular' maths stuff, introducing us to new topics/ideas, which we would differentiate from the 'Problem solvers' maths where we apply known maths creatively or in a different way to the A Level spec.

Very happy because I now get support in my mathematics preparation and also probably have a nice tidbit to write about on my Personal Statement next year about coordinating this. Though, admittedly, the hard work will be done by the teachers through paper/question/topic selection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athematica)
    I asked at college about this, hassled teachers, ran around having meetings and they, the college, with my initiative, have now set up a 'Problem Solvers' course for the whole year duration of the 2 years, starting with maths challenge stuff and moving towards NRICH, MAT papers, STEP prep, etc. I would next like to organise a way by which we can do 'extra-curricular' maths stuff, introducing us to new topics/ideas, which we would differentiate from the 'Problem solvers' maths where we apply maths creatively or in a different way to the A Level spec.

Very happy because I now get support in my mathematics preparation and also probably have a nice tidbit to write about on my Personal Statement next year about coordinating this. Though, admittedly, the hard work will be done by the teachers through paper/question/topic selection.
    Wow, what kind of school do you go to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Wow, what kind of school do you go to?
    bog standard further education college. Just did a lot of legwork and persuading people. Got a petition from maths students to do more maths (all 7 from our double award class and another 9 from pure classes - and tbh I didn't go around every one) then explained the concept to the head of maths who said it may be possible to get in an hour a fortnight during the A2's tutorial slot, then getting the Okay from the principle making sure there were classrooms etc.

The EC one will be harder to organise because it'll have to be done after school. I'm hoping that we can get 2 hours after college every 2 or more realistically 4 weeks. The maths teachers are keen and were thinking that they can rotate throughout the year. It seems quite doable, I think. Not sure what kind of health and safety etc has to be done but the ball is rolling at least

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who is going to win Bake Off?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.