Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

After repeating final year twice I failed my degree... Does it count?

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Between 2009 and 2014 I studied a degree in Multimedia, Computing & Design but after my 3rd attempt at final year I failed the degree after giving up as I had only chosen to take on the degree naively to go to university for the experience.

I have always wanted to study medicine and for example specific universities say you can enter at graduate level using you degree as long as its your first degree.

Seeing as I failed the first degree and technically I was working full time for the duration of that degree I do not have it on my CV but will this affect my application?

Gary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GaryCr91)
    Hey

Between 2009 and 2014 I studied a degree in Multimedia, Computing & Design but after my 3rd attempt at final year I failed the degree after giving up as I had only chosen to take on the degree naively to go to university for the experience.

I have always wanted to study medicine and for example specific universities say you can enter at graduate level using you degree as long as its your first degree.

Seeing as I failed the first degree and technically I was working full time for the duration of that degree I do not have it on my CV but will this affect my application?

Gary
    How badly did you fail if I may ask?
    You generally need a 2:1 or above in a degree to get onto graduate entry medicine with loads of experience in a health care setting.
    I'm warning you now though, GEM is a lot more competitive than applying fresh out of A Levels.
    If your A Levels were good and included Chemistry and Biology with A grades you could apply for a 5 year course. If you didn't take these 2 subjects, you could try applying for Medicine with a foundation year, but you have to ask yourself whether or not it's financially viable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninjasrule)
    How badly did you fail if I may ask?
    You generally need a 2:1 or above in a degree to get onto graduate entry medicine with loads of experience in a health care setting.
    I'm warning you now though, GEM is a lot more competitive than applying fresh out of A Levels.
    If your A Levels were good and included Chemistry and Biology with A grades you could apply for a 5 year course. If you didn't take these 2 subjects, you could try applying for Medicine with a foundation year, but you have to ask yourself whether or not it's financially viable.
    I ended up not finishing the final assignments. Why I am asking is because at present I am studying a Degree in Health Science, possibly nursing next year see below, and I was wondering if for example passing either nursing or the Health Science degrees, would they be counted as my first degree as I completed them or is the degree I failed going to be seen as a first degree? (University of Ulster will accept the first year which is equivalent to a certificate of higher education in Health Science as access to Adult Nursing)

I have a great reference from the care home I work in which is quite busy and is an all male, mental health focused 37 bed home and I am also applying for the trust.

I honestly just think I have screwed myself up from the beginning, 8 GCSE's grades A to C, 3 non science A Levels B, C, D. Personal reasons on subject choices and grades although all is regretted now.

A medical university in Dublin offer the 6 year programme which has a foundation year and as a mature student you only need 2 x any A Levels grade A to C and 4 GCSE's grade A to C + HPAT Test but as you said, funding could be the big worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GaryCr91)
    I ended up not finishing the final assignments. Why I am asking is because at present I am studying a Degree in Health Science, possibly nursing next year see below, and I was wondering if for example passing either nursing or the Health Science degrees, would they be counted as my first degree as I completed them or is the degree I failed going to be seen as a first degree? (University of Ulster will accept the first year which is equivalent to a certificate of higher education in Health Science as access to Adult Nursing)

I have a great reference from the care home I work in which is quite busy and is an all male, mental health focused 37 bed home and I am also applying for the trust.

I honestly just think I have screwed myself up from the beginning, 8 GCSE's grades A to C, 3 non science A Levels B, C, D. Personal reasons on subject choices and grades although all is regretted now.

A medical university in Dublin offer the 6 year programme which has a foundation year and as a mature student you only need 2 x any A Levels grade A to C and 4 GCSE's grade A to C + HPAT Test but as you said, funding could be the big worry.

Ahh okay, I only brought up A Levels because I thought you'd seriously messed up with how you made it sound haha If you have mitigating circumstances for your final year, you're in with a chance (albeit slim). You'd have to call up each place before applying and see whether or not they count that as your first degree.

If you're taking a 2nd degree in Health Sciences and get a 2:1 at least, a lot of unis will consider this - a few will actually consider your most recent degree rather than your first degree.
    Take a look at this page to see which unis will accept you: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...dicine-a-guide

This will bring the cost down as you'd only have to pay for 4 years but bear in mind that tuition fees are rising - students starting next year have to pay £9,250 per year.

ReputationRep:
    If you failed the Multimedia degree then it can't be considered your first degree - you do not hold a degree level qualification. You have to actually pass a qualification for it to count. "First degree" means "first degree that you have been awarded".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    If you failed the Multimedia degree then it can't be considered your first degree - you do not hold a degree level qualification. You have to actually pass a qualification for it to count. "First degree" means "first degree that you have been awarded".
    Thanks Juno

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How do you eat your pizza
Applying to uni

All the essentials

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Sponsored features:

Canterbury Christ Church University logo

Canterbury Christ Church University

Discover more about this community-focused university

More on applying to uni

Applying to uniA-level results day features

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.