Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My anxiety is ruining my university experience me entirely

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hi, I started university not long ago. I am currently in student accomodation and im uh, put in the 'party' block I could say, also in a flat with about 20 other people. I get on quite well with people and they all really like me, but I get way too anxious to approach them or even going in the kitchen where they are half the time. I get too anxious to even make food which is pretty bad... We tend to go out pretty much every night and when I have alcohol down me, that's the only time my anxiety lets me have fun.

That's my concern right now. My anxiety, and the fact that it's putting me off from eating, I mean, im pretty much already underweight I can't afford to lose anymore. I also feel like i'm being judged most of the time but I know they wouldn't do that cause they're really but gahhh. I'm quite stressed, and pretty homesick too. Does anyone have any advice for me? I don't think I can do 8 months of this lol. Wondering how long it will be til I drop out (most likely soon)

In my first year at university I lived in halls too and felt very much the same as what you've mentioned here. I don't know if this will help, but I thought I'd offer advice from what I did. Basically, a lot of people in my halls would hang out chatting in the kitchen and it also made me feel very intimidated so I would buy canned food and fruit to eat in my room. This might be an idea for you to do until you feel more able to use the kitchen. Baked beans are pretty delicious. BUT You don't want to get stuck doing this, however, as you need more healthy food and, hey, you paid to use the kitchen so don't hide in your room.

I would advise going into the kitchen and making a cup of tea or coffee - even if you don't like them. Put water in the kettle, then turn it on and wait. By doing this you have an "objective" (a cup of tea) and a "time-limit" (waiting for the kettle to boil). While it's heating up is a perfect opportunity to speak to whoever is in there. Just be like "oh man, I have so much reading due this week, what about you? how's your course going?" Then the kettle boils, you can make your tea, and then get out of there ("yeah, I should really get back to my work"). You have engaged in conversation without the awkwardness of just kind of hanging around. The best part about this is that you can build yourself up - fill the kettle with more water to keep you there longer as you become more comfortable!!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.