The Student Room Group

Law Personal Statement - How can I relate doing work experience at a bank to Law?

So I'm currently writing a personal statement for Law, and have done work experience at both a Law firm and a Bank (during my time I got to go to all of the different departments to see what they do at each e.g Treasury, Trade etc.) . I was wondering how I can use my experience at the bank and apply it to Law? Any help would be greatly appreciated
(edited 7 years ago)
You don't have to write about everything you've done. Avoid tenuous links - if you can't think of anything, then there probably wasn't anything. Focus on extra reading instead
Original post by Roadrunner_
So I'm currently writing a personal statement for Law, and have done work experience at both a Law firm and a Bank (during my time I got to go to all of the different departments to see what they do at each e.g Treasury, Trade etc.) . I was wondering how I can use my experience at the bank and apply it to Law? Any help would be greatly appreciated

It is unlikely you can get much out of it in terms of personal statement. At a push you could say it has given you a very thin foundation of commercial awareness, but you just don't need that for a degree. You don't even need the legal work experience - the degree is academic, and unis are far more interested in your academic ability/interest than your desire to join the profession (even though they accept a lot of people applying for a law degree have that desire).
Reply 3
Original post by Roadrunner_

If it answers the question "why do you want to study law" then consider mentioning your time at the Bank. But if it adds nothing or you're simply shoving it in because it is something you've done, then leave it out. Legal work experience is always worth mentioning provided you also talk about what you took from it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending