Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm jealous of Doctors and idk why?

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016
    • Thread Starter
    #1

    Hope this is the right forum. I never wanted to be a doctor when applying to uni, graduated in Economics and did great internships and am now working in a very good job (it's well paid - not to boast, but more than doctors my age so I'm not jealous because of that). It's not because of women either, lots of women (some gold diggers too :rofl:) go for guys with my career.

    However, I get really jealous of doctors. The ones I know, and the older ones too. I'm not sure why, maybe it's because they have a lot of community by working for the NHS etc. whereas people in my industry are competitive (but I enjoy my job and it's "prestigious" too). Or the academic side of things - I loved studying at school and got a First at university but work in a front office role where I feel I use people skills more than academics. Most doctors I know have postgraduate qualifications and even though some are scrimping in the 30s I am envious of that too. And the NHS seems **** to work for but I am curious what it's like.

    I could go back and do Graduate Entry Medicine but I don't think I want to. So why am I so jealous of them? :confused:

    Before anyone asks I'm not Indian :rofl:
    Offline

    2
    Just think about all the ungodly hours they have to work
    Online

    3
    ReputationRep:
    You should go on strike
    • Thread Starter
    #1

    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Just think about all the ungodly hours they have to work
    I work long hours in my job sometimes, though we probably get paid more (no boast).

    (Original post by UWS)
    You should go on strike
    I got jealous seeing them stick together on the strikes, we don't have that kind of community in my industry :lol:
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    Is it all the naked women they see in their offices?

    Seriously, Sturgeon's Law applies to pretty much any job you'd want to take on. So you can't just go on the 10% that is really fun and will stroke your ego. The real question is whether you can tolerate (or might even enjoy) the crud that fills the other 90%.
    Offline

    3
    Think about waking up at crazy oclock on bank holidays and nights
    Offline

    3
    Perhaps you think they get more job satisfaction and have a more meaningful existence saving peoples lives and making a difference as opposed to earning £? Other than Vet, then I cna see why I think its top if the tree in terms of degree.
    • Thread Starter
    #1

    (Original post by Camilli)
    Is it all the naked women they see in their offices?

    Seriously, Sturgeon's Law applies to pretty much any job you'd want to take on. So you can't just go on the 10% that is really fun and will stroke your ego. The real question is whether you can tolerate (or might even enjoy) the crud that fills the other 90%.
    My mum is a bit of a **** and she had a doctor who was hitting on her :rofl:

    Good point! Hoping some TSR doctors wll come to tell me about the crud :beard:

    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    Think about waking up at crazy oclock on bank holidays and nights
    I do that sometimes in my current job although we are financially compensated well... But some of the doctors (family friends) I know in their late 30s and 40s seem to be rich too. Plus they do less hours once they become consultants.

    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Perhaps you think they get more job satisfaction and have a more meaningful existence saving peoples lives and making a difference as opposed to earning £?
    Maybe. I'm more jealous of the whole NHS community than actually helping people, though. And I work in a prestigious job too but we're seen as £ minded douches rather than noble doctors :ahee:
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    Do you enjoy your job?
    • Thread Starter
    #1

    (Original post by DarkEnergy)
    Do you enjoy your job?
    Yes, but not as much as I expected
    Offline

    3
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My mum is a bit of a **** and she had a doctor who was hitting on her :rofl:

    Good point! Hoping some TSR doctors wll come to tell me about the crud :beard:



    I do that sometimes in my current job although we are financially compensated well... But some of the doctors (family friends) I know in their late 30s and 40s seem to be rich too. Plus they do less hours once they become consultants.



    Maybe. I'm more jealous of the whole NHS community than actually helping people, though. And I work in a prestigious job too but we're seen as £ minded douches rather than noble doctors :ahee:
    Your motivation seems to be money, that is the reason why you are jealous.

    Stop looking at money as being huge factor to be successful.

    Money can do ost things but not ALL things

    It is only temporary and whilst your family members seem rich, that will only last for so long.

    There are thousands of people out there who have ££££ yet dies of cancer or any disease. This goes to show that money did not help them in any way with this situation.

    What i am trying to get at is to shift your focus from money/materialism.

    Sure being a doctor is prestigious and all that but no body knows the struggle these people went through before qualifying to be one.

    Being a doctor is not all bed and roses, some people even regret being one.
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    Do you secretly want to be like McDreamy?
    Offline

    3
    ^excuse my typos
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    (..)
    Why don't you have a rep bar? :confused:
    • Thread Starter
    #1

    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    Your motivation seems to be money, that is the reason why you are jealous.

    Stop looking at money as being huge factor to be successful.

    Money can do ost things but not ALL things

    It is only temporary and whilst your family members seem rich, that will only last for so long.

    There are thousands of people out there who have ££££ yet dies of cancer or any disease. This goes to show that money did not help them in any way with this situation.

    What i am trying to get at is to shift your focus from money/materialism.

    Sure being a doctor is prestigious and all that but no body knows the struggle these people went through before qualifying to be one.

    Being a doctor is not all bed and roses, some people even regret being one.
    Just to be clear I'm not jealous b/c of money. As I said in the OP, I earn more than doctors my age even without bonuses etc. However even older doctors are well off, although unless they go private they don't earn as much as older bankers
    • Thread Starter
    #1

    (Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    Do you secretly want to be like McDreamy?
    He dies lol
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    Do you put your fingers up many peoples arses in your front office job or just your nose?
    Offline

    3
    (Original post by DarkEnergy)
    Why don't you have a rep bar? :confused:

    I got your rep.
    • Thread Starter
    #1

    (Original post by Etomidate)
    Do you put your fingers up many peoples arses in your front office job or just your nose?
    Is that actually something doctors do all day? You work in A & E right? :lol:
    Online

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etomidate)
    Do you put your fingers up many peoples arses in your front office job or just your nose?
    I doubt it, but I am sure he had to kiss a lot of them to get into the front office.
 
 
 
Write a reply…

Reply

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who is going to win Bake Off?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.