Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Corbyn's Momentum to set up a "children's wing"

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aliccam)
    We recognise that they are part of what the nation has provided rather than any individual.
    No. We recognise they are what taxpayers collectively have provided, and that they are not free at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    What I've chosen to.
    [*]Total Posts 22,373[*]Posts Per Day 7.18

Living the dream!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dingleberry jam)
    [*]Total Posts 22,373[*]Posts Per Day 7.18

Living the dream!
    Oh woe is me, someone has used the fact that I occasionally post on a forum to discredit me because they can't think of any actual argument...

ReputationRep:
    Oh woe is me, someone has used the fact that I occasionally post on a forum to discredit me because they can't think of any actual argument...
    Such a angry little chap.

Doesn't seem like a great life choice to me, but hey, you knock yourself out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dingleberry jam)
    Such a angry little chap.

Doesn't seem like a great life choice to me, but hey, you knock yourself out.
    *an

A choice to get a job where I'm paid enough to live comfortably, buy a house, but not so busy that I can't kill a bit of time on the net. Seems pretty good to me. But we can't all be action heroes like you.... Who's also on a forum...

ReputationRep:
    What I've chosen to.
    Don't project your issues onto other people, you make yourself sound like an idiot.
    Not really just my issues. Just not yours. You are one of the 'lucky ' ones it seems, though not necessarily interested in others having that same opportunity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    You do realise nationalisation involves buying the companies concerned, don't you? Where will the money come from to buy the companies you plan to nationalise?

If you really plan to confiscate rather than nationalise them, have you thought through whether they would be likely to invest just to have your totalitarian government confiscate their assets before they can make a return on those assets?

How would you like all your assets to be confiscated?
    No not suggesting confiscation, or even nationalising existing, just having the nation invest in its own or buying existing. Don't see how this makes it 'totalitarian', unless you mean that everyone owns it and everyone benefits. The government has invested in production before, its not new.

ReputationRep:
    No. We recognise they are what taxpayers collectively have provided, and that they are not free at all.
    You have just made my point clearer. Thanks. It is a collective resource, just as can production can be.

ReputationRep:
    Not really just my issues. Just not yours. You are one of the 'lucky ' ones it seems, though not necessarily interested in others having that same opportunity.
    I'm a perfectly average - potentially slightly below average, actually - individual who's had no significant benefit over and above others.
    Average crappy state schools, mediocre exam results, significant lack of wealth through childhood.

The silent majority, in fact.

Any opportunities I had were open to all with few if any restrictions. You could have have taken them too, but that would ruin your narrative of poor little kid who's been forced down a path you don't want but rebel against the nasty oppressive system...

Are there people for whom opportunities don't exist? In this country, not really. Are there people who don't take or aren't aware of the opportunities? Absolutely.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a perfectly average - potentially slightly below average, actually - individual who's had no significant benefit over and above others. Average crappy state schools, mediocre exam results, significant lack of wealth through childhood.
    A good thing for you that your choices coincided with what you were able to do. Presumably one of those choices was a life of work.

Any opportunities I had were open to all with few if any restrictions. You could have have taken them too, but that would ruin your narrative of poor little kid who's been forced down a path you don't want but rebel against the nasty oppressive system...
    I have made choices that are open to all, but do not see them as real choices. I was forced to attend school, rather than chose it. I could only look forward to pretty much a lifetime of work, much of it pretty pointless. I am not looking for sympathy or necessarily complaining about the current system, just pointing out that it could be so much better for most of us (you excluded).

Are there people for whom opportunities don't exist? In this country, not really. Are there people who don't take or aren't aware of the opportunities? Absolutely.
    There are opportunities, but they are quite limited for most. Abilities, desires and aptitudes vary. Choices that make money are acceptable, those that do not are difficult to impossible.

ReputationRep:
    I could only look forward to pretty much a lifetime of work, much of it pretty pointless.
    Stop projecting your own inferiorities onto others.

ReputationRep:
    Stop projecting your own inferiorities onto others.
    Stop projecting your assumptions onto my posts.

ReputationRep:
    No not suggesting confiscation, or even nationalising existing, just having the nation invest in its own or buying existing. Don't see how this makes it 'totalitarian', unless you mean that everyone owns it and everyone benefits. The government has invested in production before, its not new.
    So where will the money come from, bearing in mid you are proposing that the nation owns the entire means of production such that nobody has to work? How much do you think this might be?

What proportion of jobs will be undertaken by machines in an economy like that of the UK where most jobs are service jobs?

ReputationRep:
    So where will the money come from, bearing in mid you are proposing that the nation owns the entire means of production such that nobody has to work? How much do you think this might be?
    Could be done gradually and expansion could be partly self funding.

What proportion of jobs will be undertaken by machines in an economy like that of the UK where most jobs are service jobs?
    Service jobs can be automated to quite a large extent, particularly in financial and legal services. Self driving vehicles, drones, restaurants. Amazon is highly automated showing the possibilities for retail sales. I wouldn't be surprised if at least 80% can be automated, just with current technology.

Once we get used to not having to work very much, we can dispense with the need for money, eliminating most financial services and activity relating to finance within other services.

ReputationRep:
    All societies currently use capitalism, and it does work to an extent within a lot of differing approaches. It was highly relevant and a source of benefit probably up until the start of the twentieth century. since then it has become less relevant, and now that we have moved into a new high technology high productivity era it is actually holding back civilisation. We have probably since at least the 1930s been capable of providing for everyone's needs easily and without scarcity, but instead are concentrating the bulk of the benefits to a smaller and smaller number of people. Capitalism is no longer necessary or desirable, but is unfortunately highly entrenched.
    Unlike Marxism-Leninism, which has never ever worked, except when practised without human beings. I tell you what, when we need to choose an ideal system for Sims or robots, I'll pick up a copy of Engels and start making stuff happen.

Capitialism might not be ideal, but it is certainly necessary. The alternative is poverty, oppression and death - the hallmarks of every nation that had tried communism.

ReputationRep:
    Could be done gradually and expansion could be partly self funding.

Service jobs can be automated to quite a large extent, particularly in financial and legal services. Self driving vehicles, drones, restaurants. Amazon is highly automated showing the possibilities for retail sales. I wouldn't be surprised if at least 80% can be automated, just with current technology.

Once we get used to not having to work very much, we can dispense with the need for money, eliminating most financial services and activity relating to finance within other services.
    Hehe. Good luck with this dystopian nightmare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IkeaLamp)
    Would you call turning a blind eye to austerity progressive or regressive?
    So austerity is always bad? Attlee implemented postwar austerity in Britain

When most leftists babble about austerity they literally don't know the first thing about it. They are clueless about what "anti-austerity" means, all they know is that what the Tories are doing is "austerity" and they are against it.

The low level of debate and economic literacy on the left these days is nauseating

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    Unison, Unite, GMB and FBU formation shroud waving teams ( and their fellow travellers who have taken over the BMA JDC)
    Grouping all four of those unions together is disingenuous and demonstrates a lack of understanding of the labour and trade union movement.

GMB opposes Corbyn, mostly because of his anti-Trident views. UNISON is a very lukewarm on Corbyn and its General Secretary Dave Prentis says almost nothing in public that could be construed as supportive.

It is Unite, with that fat **** Len McCluskey (clearly he's living a very working-class existence.. not), barking orders at Labour MPs and issuing threats against anyone who doesn't fall in line behind the Cult of Saint Jezbollah.

The FBU are even worse, they are basically out-and-out communists. Naturally they fully support Jeremy Corbyn

ReputationRep:
    I want machines to do the work and humans to start living life to the full. Leisure is what we need as a break from work it is not really life.
    Damn have you ever tried getting a machine to do work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    Exactly. It's a ****ing creche so that parents can get more politically involved.
    A creche run by people who aren't CRB checked (in other words a giant-neon sign saying "Paedophiles Welcome"), and which has openly said it will politically indoctrinate (or "politically educate", as James Schneider put it), children under the age of 5. That is ****ing nauseating. It's basically "Leave your kids with John McDonnell while you go and recruit more people to engage in branch stacking in the Labour Party"

The fact that the hard leftists on this board are defending it shows just how out of touch they are, and just how willing they are to defend almost anything as long as it comes out of the mouth of Len McCluskey or Jeremy Corbyn.

Tell me, what would Jeremy Corbyn have to do for you to criticise him?

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who is going to win Bake Off?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.