The Student Room Group

My maths remark.

I was five marks off a C in Maths. I was retaking it in college because I didn't even try hard or revise when I was in school. Now I've revised my backside off and I realised that the grade boundary was sky high for a grade C. I got told I was just 5 marks off a C. Question is, would you consider that close or way off?

I also got a text message from my college last week saying that they will pay for a my remarks and that they will only issue free remarks to students who was close to a pass grade and I guess I was one of them. So do you think I'd at least hit a low C seeing that I was 5 marks off?
Original post by imzeman
I was five marks off a C in Maths. I was retaking it in college because I didn't even try hard or revise when I was in school. Now I've revised my backside off and I realised that the grade boundary was sky high for a grade C. I got told I was just 5 marks off a C. Question is, would you consider that close or way off?

I also got a text message from my college last week saying that they will pay for a my remarks and that they will only issue free remarks to students who was close to a pass grade and I guess I was one of them. So do you think I'd at least hit a low C seeing that I was 5 marks off?

It's unlikely to go up 5 marks but if your school offered a free remark you had nothing to lose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by imzeman

The only way you are getting extra marks is if they made a mistake. I like your optimism of at least a C. It would be unusual but not impossible for a mistake and as the school is paying, then you ave nothing to lose. I wouldnt get your hopes up though.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
The only way you are getting extra marks is if they made a mistake. I like your optimism of at least a C. It would be unusual but not impossible for a mistake and as the school is paying, then you ave nothing to lose. I wouldnt get your hopes up though.

I know that I tried hard in my exams, I literally felt like punching someone cause of this. I struggle with maths and revised so hard. Even if I do fail again with the remark, will the new specification be harder than the current one?
Original post by imzeman
I know that I tried hard in my exams, I literally felt like punching someone cause of this. I struggle with maths and revised so hard. Even if I do fail again with the remark, will the new specification be harder than the current one?

I have no idea. It should really be on a par. Maths is important so see if you can afford a tutor or see if the school has some online siftware that might help. Practice exam papers in timed conditions. Its hard but you need to keep getting marked , correcting your mistakes and you will improve. You just need to do a bit better and definitely within your ability.

Never give up.
Reply 5
Hi. I've just had my AQA GCSE maths remark back. I got 61 points and needed 62 to get Grade C. The school paid for the remark as it was so close. The remark gave me 6 extra points and therefore a Grade C pass. I was really pleased. Hope you do well in the resit.
Chances are they made a mistake. I think its definitely worth it.
Markers do make mistakes, however it's not always in your favour. They don't just remark questions you got wrong so you have an equal chance of dropping marks as you do gaining. Good luck if you do get it remarked.
Reply 8
Original post by imzeman

Have you thought about maybe re sitting the maths exam in November ?
Reply 9
Original post by Undies
Hi. I've just had my AQA GCSE maths remark back. I got 61 points and needed 62 to get Grade C. The school paid for the remark as it was so close. The remark gave me 6 extra points and therefore a Grade C pass. I was really pleased. Hope you do well in the resit.

Wow well done
Reply 10
Original post by skye99
Have you thought about maybe re sitting the maths exam in November ?

College arent doing resits for November
Reply 11
Original post by imzeman
College arent doing resits for November

If you wanted to you can always do resits outside of college and school.
Reply 12
I was one mark off a C (did Edexcel Foundation) so yeah and got both papers remarked and they both stayed exactly the same so i wouldn't 5 marks, very unlikely. I'm retaking in November at my Sixth form whilst doing my A-levels.

But don't forget, Maths is not that subjective you're either right or wrong but if you don't want any regrets then go for it…

Good luck, anyway! :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by 123moon
I was one mark off a C (did Edexcel Foundation) so yeah and got both papers remarked and they both stayed exactly the same so i wouldn't 5 marks, very unlikely. I'm retaking in November at my Sixth form whilst doing my A-levels.

But don't forget, Maths is not that subjective you're either right or wrong but if you don't want any regrets then go for it…

Good luck, anyway! :h:

Lol, I got my remark, you were right I only went up by one mark... This system is ********, all I need is a C is maths and AQA are being way to harsh. They pretty much love destroying people's future. If I fail this again , I'm gonna have to pay again for my resit and I'm not rich.

Quick Reply

Latest