Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

16 year old and 18 year old long distance

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

Hey everyone,

I went on a date a few days ago with someone I've known for over a year off tinder now. We used to speak occasionally but with such a big distance between us, it was always just meaningless chat. However, I'm moving to uni next month in a city much closer to them (about 2 hours on the train or an hour each to meet in the middle). In a way, I regret going on the date because it's just complicated things massively as I'm now very unlikely to be single for freshers and I'm going to enter a long distance relationship - something everyone tells you to avoid. But we both hit it off really well, in a unique way. We'd known each other so long already that when we actually met up, everything just felt right.

Just to make things even more annoying, they're 16 and I'm 18. Unfortunately, despite them being 16, they've only just started year 11 since they're 1 day out of the catchment for sixth form. They're the oldest in their academic year, and I'm one of the youngest in mine. But year 11 and 1st year of uni just sounds really weird, whereas sixth form and uni does not - and it's just 1 day that would make all the difference. Is it weird? Am I a creep?

They are very mature for their age, both academically and emotionally. I'm probably a little immature emotionally which might be why it feels right. Everyone thinks they look older than me as well which they do - so again, it's just a really unique set of circumstances. Any advice? :/

I know a lot of people will just say "end it while it's early" but it's physically so hard to do that, we're getting on so well

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey everyone,

I went on a date a few days ago with someone I've known for over a year off tinder now. We used to speak occasionally but with such a big distance between us, it was always just meaningless chat. However, I'm moving to uni next month in a city much closer to them (about 2 hours on the train or an hour each to meet in the middle). In a way, I regret going on the date because it's just complicated things massively as I'm now very unlikely to be single for freshers and I'm going to enter a long distance relationship - something everyone tells you to avoid. But we both hit it off really well, in a unique way. We'd known each other so long already that when we actually met up, everything just felt right.

Just to make things even more annoying, they're 16 and I'm 18. Unfortunately, despite them being 16, they've only just started year 11 since they're 1 day out of the catchment for sixth form. They're the oldest in their academic year, and I'm one of the youngest in mine. But year 11 and 1st year of uni just sounds really weird, whereas sixth form and uni does not - and it's just 1 day that would make all the difference. Is it weird? Am I a creep?

They are very mature for their age, both academically and emotionally. I'm probably a little immature emotionally which might be why it feels right. Everyone thinks they look older than me as well which they do - so again, it's just a really unique set of circumstances. Any advice? :/

I know a lot of people will just say "end it while it's early" but it's physically so hard to do that, we're getting on so well
    PS - we're both guys

ReputationRep:
    I personally think the age gap is fine, if you really like him then you should go for it and see how it goes, you may look down the line and live to regret it, whatever feels right for you, you should do. ❤️

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey everyone,

I'm gay too, 18 and 16 is quiet a big jump in life transformation as your the start of becoming a man and his still developing but you could help him out etc, so I wouldn't say its a bad thing.

I was in LDR, the guy I was with just " got bored ", I am 18 and his 20 (6 months LDR) but not all LDR fail, just be warned 16 to 18 years old they can change I'm the oppersite of what I was at 16 years old.

Remember to communicate DAILY, if you start not to is when it goes downhill, coming from experience.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which would you rather be...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.