Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Calling all libertarians!

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hello all, I am looking to expand the libertarian presence on these forums and to create an official libertarian party. To do so we need your assistance and I urge all those who hold similar views to announce their interest here!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4325292

Please feel free to ask any questions, in our party we would have positions for all. Whether you fancy a heated debate, want to create some change or just love being in a community, we are the place for you!

ReputationRep:
    Who's gonna build the roads ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crijjkal)
    yeah, and who will pick the cotton without the slaves?

ReputationRep:
    Private corporations when there's a demand for them to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RomanBowling33)
    Private corporations when there's a demand for them to do so.
    Do you think everyone should have access to public funded education ? If no how do you guarantee equality of opportunity and meritocracy ?

ReputationRep:
    Do you think everyone should have access to public funded education ? If no how do you guarantee equality of opportunity and meritocracy ?
    Public funded education shouldn't exist. Equality of opportunity would exist by the state not being in the way to prevent it and meritocracy would naturally occur through the state not legally forcing/entrenching equality or hierarchy but rather letting it occur naturally.

ReputationRep:
    Muh roads! In!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RomanBowling33)
    Public funded education shouldn't exist. Equality of opportunity would exist by the state not being in the way to prevent it and meritocracy would naturally occur through the state not legally forcing/entrenching equality or hierarchy but rather letting it occur naturally.
    Case in point, that doesn't make sense.. If there is no public schooling than your level of education depends on your wealth.

ReputationRep:
    Case in point, that doesn't make sense.. If there is no public schooling than your level of education depends on your wealth.
    if you have a just legal system not determined by corporatism or corruption, then there is nothing wrong with a system of private and deregulated education. not only will the quality of schools generally increase over time with a capitalist education system (just like generally everything in the private sector), but those whom will not prosper under it (idiots, basically, or delinquents) will not pay for it anyway (referring to the family and the children). also, consider this: if there are parents who really do want to give their child a good education, there is honestly nothing stopping them from attaining the money to send them to a reasonable-quality school. my parents are poor - my one working parent has always been a postman, and I went to an expensive private school for about 4 years of my education. also, if I really wanted to go to school and my parents didn't send me to school, there is always the possibility that, in such an age of online information, I can simply access courses and article online anyway. yes, it will be harder, but so what? I'm not paying for the privilege of teachers. and teachers aren't mandatory to good education. if you are a terrible student, a brilliant teacher will be useless. so to portray a lack of public schools as socially crippling is nothing but drama. there is an abundance of evidence that spending on schools does not equate to better education anyway. you can have great education from an extremely modest baseline. and that can be covered privately. it's all about the philosophy of the student and to some extent the parents.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which would you rather be...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.