The Student Room Group

should a 15 year old girl wear make up and have eyebrows plucked?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IndyPrince
What if I enjoy taking aside an hour or so a day to put on makeup? I agree that it's wrong to rely on makeup for confidence, but I for one really enjoy putting on makeup. The ritual helps me in the morning to feel more ready to take on the day. But why can't people choose to wear makeup when they want to?

I suppose it's that in my opinion it's an hour every single day that could be much more well spent.

The issue with this is why do people want to wear makeup? Confidence? Vanity? Pressure? Girls are pressured to wear it because other girls wear it, and girls feel the need to keep up appearances.

Most people put make up on before leaving their house, before going out to work, or to school, or to meet up, which is why I don't buy the whole 'I do it for myself' argument. Obviously there will be a few exceptions of people who put it on every morning no matter whether they're going out or not, however this is a small minority.

However mainly what's so sad for me is that, if you look at any advert/tv show/poster/etc, the men look completely normal, no makeup, no flawless skin etc, but the women always look absolutely flawless, perfect hair/skin with a contoured face etc. and that is obviously not what women actually look like. It's these expectations of women and these societal standards that pressure women into wearing make up, to keep up with standards. Before on screen movies/magazines etc practically no one wore make up because there was no expectation to, it's just such a shame for women in society to be seen as plain or unprofessional just because they don't take out an hour everyday putting on their face.

But what's the cause of these societal standards? It's the majority of women wearing makeup. The problem isn't with employees or societies expectations, if something is the majority (aka wearing makeup), obviously people will expect it. The root of the problem is that far too many women are feeling the need to wear it, when in fact their time is much better spent elsewhere, and their appearance shouldn't come into their everyday experience.

Sorry if that was a bit waffly, just a subject that's bothered me for quite some time now, and one that no other women seem to see. Appearance plays much too large a role in women's lives already, and this is exacerbated by women wearing make up and high heels. Things that may 'empower' individual women, however bring down the sex as a whole.
Original post by carolinehj
-

That wasn't waffly at all! I understand your points and, honestly, they do make a lot of sense. I don't think that women should have to stop wearing makeup or high heels or that it brings down the sex, personally, but I do get where you're coming from.
She's a 15 year old girl wanting to wear makeup. That's what many 15year olds do. She doesn't care about the politics of it and neither should she. I have granddaughters her age who wear make-up. Anyone would think she was asking to experiment with drugs.
Original post by Seamus123
She's a 15 year old girl wanting to wear makeup. That's what many 15year olds do. She doesn't care about the politics of it and neither should she. I have granddaughters her age who wear make-up. Anyone would think she was asking to experiment with drugs.

Exactly, I'm saying it's sad that no one realises the repurcussions of their actions.
I agree! I'm 16 and I started wearing makeup when I was 14 and started putting on full faces at 15. I don't think it's "too much" at all - I wear a full face to school every day (bar lipstick, ain't nobody got time to reapply that) and most people don't even notice. Besides, people are allowed to do what they want with their appearance, and makeup is hardly going to ruin her. Makeup is fun and expressive and a great art form!

exactly! likewise, lipstick is wayyyyy too much hassle! makeup can be wiped off at the end of the day, don't see the issue at all!
That wasn't waffly at all! I understand your points and, honestly, they do make a lot of sense. I don't think that women should have to stop wearing makeup or high heels or that it brings down the sex, personally, but I do get where you're coming from.

Good to know I'm not going crazy hahaha. Obviously I don't want to ban it or anything, I'm not that extreme, just make it more of a special thing rather than an every day thing ya feel.
It not good dont use make up in your skin

Quick Reply

Latest