Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

What would happen if we stayed in the EU and then Turkey joined?

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    Would that mean millions of Turks would flood into the UK?

ReputationRep:
    Probably not.

ReputationRep:
    obviously - after everything we've seen with Poland and Romania, why *wouldn't* it happen? I mean, there are already quite a lot of turks here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    obviously - after everything we've seen with Poland and Romania, why *wouldn't* it happen? I mean, there are already quite a lot of turks here
    There aren't even a million Poles or Romanians in the UK. So why would there be "millions" of Turks?

ReputationRep:
    It would become like Germany, kebab shops every other street. Oh wait, isn't that already the case in many UK cities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternalflames)
    It would become like Germany, kebab shops every other street. Oh wait, isn't that already the case in many UK cities?
    Yes... because a lot of British people like kebabs... (or at least pretend to when they're drunk)

ReputationRep:
    in recent enlargement there have been transitional restrictions on free movement between old and new member states which were supposed to allow time for the new member states economies to sync up with the wealthier existing members and prevent disruptive surges of migration...

I'd guess the restrictions on Turkey would be more restrictive and longer lasting given the current political climate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dheorl)
    There aren't even a million Poles or Romanians in the UK. So why would there be "millions" of Turks?
    there are 700,000 poles and about 100,000 romanians. gee. 800,000? that's hardly a million is it...

ReputationRep:
    Yes... because a lot of British people like kebabs... (or at least pretend to when they're drunk)
    Relax, it's just a joke

ReputationRep:
    Turkey isn't going to join and Britain isn't going to be "flooded" by anyone.

ReputationRep:
    Who says they all want to come to this backward little rock which seems to be universally populated with yobos

ReputationRep:
    there are 700,000 poles and about 100,000 romanians. gee. 800,000? that's hardly a million is it...
    Sorry, 800,000 clearly equals "millions". I'll remember that next time I do a maths test 0.8 can be substituted for >2

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, 800,000 clearly equals "millions". I'll remember that next time I do a maths test 0.8 can be substituted for >2
    it's like I've clearly shown that it's a big amount of immigration already - the only argument you can conjure up is "well it's not 2 million! neeh neeh neh neh neeh!" - as if that matters...? why is that number important? is that the only thing you can walk away with here? the fact that it's not 2 million? wow...I mean really...

ReputationRep:
    it's like I've clearly shown that it's a big amount of immigration already - the only argument you can conjure up is "well it's not 2 million! neeh neeh neh neh neeh!" - as if that matters...? why is that number important? is that the only thing you can walk away with here? the fact that it's not 2 million? wow...I mean really...
    Yea, a large amount of immigration, but calling it millions is clearly false. Tbh even if it were millions I'd have absolutely no issue with it.

I just don't like seeing issues such as immigration sensationalised.

ReputationRep:
    Yea, a large amount of immigration, but calling it millions is clearly false. Tbh even if it were millions I'd have absolutely no issue with it.

I just don't like seeing issues such as immigration sensationalised.
    you think that millions more people isn't going to make a difference then?

ReputationRep:
    you think that millions more people isn't going to make a difference then?
    I don't think it will make a difference that will have any drastic effect on the quality of life of people in the UK, no.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it will make a difference that will have any drastic effect on the quality of life of people in the UK, no.
    and do you think we *ought* to have higher immigration? why if so?

ReputationRep:
    and do you think we *ought* to have higher immigration? why if so?
    I think we ought to allow in whoever wants to come. Why? Because the fact that luck at birth determines the prospects of a human has always seemed complete madness to me.

ReputationRep:
    I have to say that i was a fairly soft Brexit voter and am generally pro-immigration however if Turkey were ever permitted free movement with the UK (1% is still 800,000 of them) then i would consider such an act unforgivable. Any Tory government which allowed that to happen would never receive my vote again.

ReputationRep:
    Lemme guess...armageddon?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which would you rather be...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.