Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

What would happen if we stayed in the EU and then Turkey joined?

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

(Original post by orton6)
    Would that mean millions of Turks would flood into the UK?
    So basically two fantasies of things that arent going to happen. Why not just go for the what would happen if Turkey became part of the UK, would that mean lots more Turkish people?

(Original post by sleepysnooze)
    obviously - after everything we've seen with Poland and Romania, why *wouldn't* it happen? I mean, there are already quite a lot of turks here
    Becayse there isnt a cat in hells chance of urkey joining the EU, especially after Erdogans response to the coup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Becayse there isnt a cat in hells chance of urkey joining the EU, especially after Erdogans response to the coup.
    that's not an explanation merely because you put "because" at the beginning...we're also talking about hypotheticals. and if turkey wouldn't be allowed to join because of erdogan, what about all these other states of the EU like poland who are receding abortion rights and restricting freedom of the press?

that's not an explanation merely because you put "because" at the beginning...we're also talking about hypotheticals. and if turkey wouldn't be allowed to join because of erdogan, what about all these other states of the EU like poland who are receding abortion rights and restricting freedom of the press?
    Hypotheticals are all very well until they become stupid and so unlikley they are fantasy. Poland is already a member. You really need to appreciate how a country becomes a member of the EU and what the rules on membership are. Go and do some reserach and you will appreciate the difference.

ReputationRep:
    Hypotheticals are all very well until they become stupid and so unlikley they are fantasy. Poland is already a member. You really need to appreciate how a country becomes a member of the EU and what the rules on membership are. Go and do some reserach and you will appreciate the difference.
    mate don't tell me to research - you are basically telling me something I already know and presenting it as if you're telling me new information - the rules of the EU obviously are ludicrous and your defence is "yes, that's true, but this ludicrousy means that the EU still won't let in turkey" - wow. but what's sad is that you're probably very much in favour of the EU so this seems pretty stupid of you to muster. you know the EU is terrible but all you can say is "well at least I'm proving my own point" - look: I clap for you, sir...

mate don't tell me to research - you are basically telling me something I already know and presenting it as if you're telling me new information - the rules of the EU obviously are ludicrous and your defence is "yes, that's true, but this ludicrousy means that the EU still won't let in turkey" - wow. but what's sad is that you're probably very much in favour of the EU so this seems pretty stupid of you to muster. you know the EU is terrible but all you can say is "well at least I'm proving my own point" - look: I clap for you, sir...
    Well your claim that you know and then being unable to appreciate why Turkey has no chance of getting into the EU shows you have no grasp of why Turkey has no chance.

They have been trying for 30 years and only managed to agree 1 out of 35 heads.
    This is before all of Erdogans recent human rights violations after the coup.
    I never said the rules of the EU were ludicrous, they are what they are. That was just you making things up.

Your hupothetical concerns two things that arent going to happen, so its in the realms of fantasy. Fine to disccuss, but I was just pointing out how unlikely it was.
    Obviously your agenda is bit of xenophobia and muslim scaremingering, but its so ridiculous its snoozeworthy.

Yes we are leaving. get used to it.

No Turkey wont be joining.

ReputationRep:
    Well your claim that you know and then being unable to appreciate why Turkey has no chance of getting into the EU shows you have no grasp of why Turkey has no chance.

They have been trying for 30 years and only managed to agree 1 out of 35 heads.
    This is before all of Erdogans recent human rights violations after the coup.
    I never said the rules of the EU were ludicrous, they are what they are. That was just you making things up.

Your hupothetical concerns two things that arent going to happen, so its in the realms of fantasy. Fine to disccuss, but I was just pointing out how unlikely it was.
    Obviously your agenda is bit of xenophobia and muslim scaremingering, but its so ridiculous its snoozeworthy.

Yes we are leaving. get used to it.

No Turkey wont be joining.
    so I'm not allowed to assume that you also think the rules of the EU, to allow poland to become massively illiberal (yet not admit illiberal turkey), are bad, yet you *are* allowed to assume that I'm a xenophobe? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dheorl)
    I think we ought to allow in whoever wants to come. Why? Because the fact that luck at birth determines the prospects of a human has always seemed complete madness to me.
    And what if 50 million people want to come?

We're a small, already overpopulated, island nation. We don't have the capacity to accept everyone.

Instead of importing anyone who wants a better life, we should work on removing corruption, poverty & crackpot governments from these nations.

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who is going to win Bake Off?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.