The Student Room Group

Can I take physics if I am bad at maths ?

I want to take up physics this year, I will be entering year 13 and so will drop one AS and pick up another ( physics) but I was wondering how hard is physics going to be if I am bad at maths?

At the moment I am doing AS chemistry, Biology, history and psychology! I really regret taking history and psychology because I am completely bored and not interested in them. I realise I should have done all sciences because even though I am not good at it I enjoy it!!

Anyways my main problem is I am bad at maths!! I got a B at GCSE by working really hard. So do you think I can still cope/handle physics or even maths at AS level, If off course I work hard to get a decent grade.?

I really want to do physics because I became interested in it while doing chemistry, physical chemistry. And I want to do it just for my own benefit, not cause of a course in uni.

So am I crazy to do this ?

BTW- one more thing, I am so curious, why is it some people are just so ,so, so good at maths without ever bothering ? And can you train yourself to be good at maths or it has to come naturally?

Scroll to see replies

I dropped physics, because i had similar issues with mathematics. I got an A in maths for GCSE, but i could not cope with doing GCSE all over again for the mechanics part of the foundation course (for OCR). There's quite a multitude of equations to learn too. My advice is to do it though if you have a genuine interest in the subject. you will get your head around it after a little while, the reason why i couldn't was because i simply didn't enjoy the subject. It's more plugging in the correct numbers than having to do complex mathematics. Hope my babble has been of some help!
Reply 2
The Anthropologist
I dropped physics, because i had similar issues with mathematics. I got an A in maths for GCSE, but i could not cope with doing GCSE all over again for the mechanics part of the foundation course (for OCR). There's quite a multitude of equations to learn too. My advice is to do it though if you have a genuine interest in the subject. you will get your head around it after a little while, the reason why i couldn't was because i simply didn't enjoy the subject. It's more plugging in the correct numbers than having to do complex mathematics. Hope my babble has been of some help!

No your "babble" was very helpful, thanks. I really, really am genuinely interested in it so therefore I can cope?
Reply 3
Did you take intermediate or higher? If you took intermediate it might be worth reading up on some of the higher level stuff. Other than that you should be ok as long as you're willing to work on your maths. Most of the maths is plugging numbers into formulae or graph work (gradients, areas etc) which is all GCSE level stuff.
fay_102
No your "babble" was very helpful, thanks. I really, really am genuinely interested in it so therefore I can cope?

Well... in as much as you could cope with anything else mathematical. It'll be an uphill struggle, but if you put in the work, you'll be fine.

That said, I'm led to believe A2 physics is much more mathematical than AS. But it's still not that bad.
Reply 5
fay_102
I want to take up physics this year, I will be entering year 13 and so will drop one AS and pick up another ( physics) but I was wondering how hard is physics going to be if I am bad at maths?

At the moment I am doing AS chemistry, Biology, history and psychology! I really regret taking history and psychology because I am completely bored and not interested in them. I realise I should have done all sciences because even though I am not good at it I enjoy it!!

Anyways my main problem is I am bad at maths!! I got a B at GCSE by working really hard. So do you think I can still cope/handle physics or even maths at AS level, If off course I work hard to get a decent grade.?

No.

I really want to do physics because I became interested in it while doing chemistry, physical chemistry. And I want to do it just for my own benefit, not cause of a course in uni.

Quite probably.

BTW- one more thing, I am so curious, why is it some people are just so ,so, so good at maths without ever bothering ? And can you train yourself to be good at maths or it has to come naturally?

Both.
Reply 6
fay_102

Its all about hard work, if you put the effort in, you will get the results (easier said than done, I know.)

As for your last question regarding natural ability in maths, I believe to be very good a maths i.e. reading it at Oxbridge etc, it does take natural ability. From my experiance, people either seem fine with maths or can't do it at all. Very few people in between, like you would get for say, English. Alot of people believe I have natural ability in maths and to some extent I probably do, of course I work hard but some of my friends work harder than me to get the same or less of a result. Don't let this put you off physics, you only get one shot at these things, go for it, work hard.
Reply 7
Morgan141
Did you take intermediate or higher? If you took intermediate it might be worth reading up on some of the higher level stuff. Other than that you should be ok as long as you're willing to work on your maths. Most of the maths is plugging numbers into formulae or graph work (gradients, areas etc) which is all GCSE level stuff.

I was put on intermediate, but i know i was capable of doing higher, so the highest I could get on that paper was a B:frown:

What sort of stuff shall I go through and can you recommend any books that will bring me up to date ?

Also I have kind of forgotten all my GCSE maths is this going to be problem ?
Reply 8
Profesh
No.

Quite probably.

Both.

Oh so your saying I should not do it, :frown: :rolleyes: :smile:

thanks for the honesty
fay_102

The maths in A level physics is very basic. It is only at the GCSE level.
Simple algebra including quadratics and some polynomials is really all that you need.
And a basic understanding of trig.

However if you struggled with GCSE maths then you may have problems.
And if you struggled to get a B, then perhaps it is not for you.
You should have a look at one of the A level physics textbooks and then decide.
fay_102
BTW- one more thing, I am so curious, why is it some people are just so ,so, so good at maths without ever bothering ?

Intelligence has a lot to do with that.
In a word. Yes. ROFLCOPTER! There's hardly any maths in the physics A-level these days.
Reply 12
i did physics edexcel with no math but i did chem which helped little bit
it is simple but you said you struggled with gcse so think about it really
i found it fun
:smile:
Reply 13
Just ask your physics teacher. My teacher made it very clear that students who don't do a-level maths will be given extra help when it comes to any maths related. There isn't really that much maths in physics that is a-level standard, although, I did AS maths and the mechanics module was pretty much exactly the same the first module in physics.
Reply 14
To be honest I wouldn't a great majority of aqa physics anyways is calcluations and most of them aren't really that easy.
(They are considered easy rearranging 4/5 variables)

I think it might be possible if you put a hell of alot of hard work in but youve got to ask yourself is it really worth the effort
you could get an AS in a different subject without as much work

Physics has a reputation as the hardest A level for a very good reason
its hard and dull
I wouldn't. You'll seriously struggle with some A2 stuff, maybe even some AS. Physics is harder than maths. If you suck at maths, odds are you'll suck at Physics..
Reply 16
Its true, the mathematical content of Physics AS-level is pretty non-existant. I think it depends on what you mean by 'a bad mathematician.' If you are OK with re-arranging some simple formula, and can (even with much practise) understand the concepts of some of the equations, then I don't see why (particularly at AS level) your maths ability would be a problem.
Reply 17
fay_102
BTW- one more thing, I am so curious, why is it some people are just so ,so, so good at maths without ever bothering ?

I have never met a person who is "so, so, so good at Maths without ever bothering". Could you give an example?
acolyte
The maths in A level physics is very basic. It is only at the GCSE level.
Simple algebra including quadratics and some polynomials is really all that you need.
And a basic understanding of trig.

That's not true. At least, it wasn't on my syllabus. :smile:

To the OP: I think you may struggle if you find maths difficult - however! As it's only AS, and as you are taking it purely out of interest and not for university, I think you should by all means give it a go - but remember to put your other subjects first, as if you find yourself struggling you can't really afford to put the extra effort in. Remember it's okay to drop it if it gets too tough :smile:
Reply 19
Lusus Naturae
I have never met a person who is "so, so, so good at Maths without ever bothering". Could you give an example?

my friend 'lily' she tells me she never revises, maths comes naturally to her, I have never seen her take her exams seriously, she's so lucky!! And my sister, dam it she never revises honestly, she just parties, she missed school for 3 months and in her January exams for maths she got 99%.

I guess the general consensus is not to take physics. After all the advice I don’t think I will, you guys have really put me off lol. Thanks for the honest advice anyways.

BTW- just to clarify I am not that bad at maths, I got the highest I could get on my GCSE exam! Off course I worked hard for it, I don’t have difficulty understanding and grasping new concepts and my strongest point in maths is algebra. As long as I have a good teacher that can explain it step by step.

Thank you for advising me
Kudos

Latest