Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Social work MA

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Hi!!! Any advice would be much appreciated and greatly received....I'm due to start my final year on a BA social work course. I'm starting to think about next year and would love to work with children and families and eventually in child protection. That said, my experience is limited. I am due to start a placement in that area, which is great.I feel my knowledge is limited and think I would really benefit from doing an MA in social work next year, giving me even more experience (2 further placements) and greater knowledge and understanding.

    However, whenever I bring this up with people, specifically qualified social workers and professionals, I get the impression that it's unusual for someone who is a qualified social worker (as I hope to be next year) to do an MA in social work.

    Has anyone done both the BA and MA in social work?!?! Thank you in Advance :-)

    What do they suggest instead? What do your tutors suggest? Have you looked at any job specs and seen what is expected? Is work exprience the way to go?
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.