Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Should I apply for Cambridge?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    I am really stuck about whether to apply for Cambridge. My parents are foreign so they struggle to realise how hard it is to get into Cambridge. I want to study English and my high school are really keen on me applying. I got 4 A*s 4 As 1 B and 1 C at GCSE, and 3 As (top grade) and 1 B at AS. I did a mock ELAT test at school and apparently I did really well. Although my school really want me to apply, I am reluctant because I haven't seen the university, and I haven't done any preparation for it. My boyfriend (who was also going to apply for cambridge but didn't get an A* in his maths a level that he sat early) has told me that it's really unlikely. I also don't know about how much work it is going to be and whether the work load to apply for Cambridge would effect my A level studies and effect my changes of getting into Durham. Can people please offer their advice? I need to decide ASAP and I'm so torn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BriStewart)
    I am really stuck about whether to apply for Cambridge. My parents are foreign so they struggle to realise how hard it is to get into Cambridge. I want to study English and my high school are really keen on me applying. I got 4 A*s 4 As 1 B and 1 C at GCSE, and 3 As (top grade) and 1 B at AS. I did a mock ELAT test at school and apparently I did really well. Although my school really want me to reply, I am reluctant because I haven't seen the university, and I haven't done any preparation for it. My boyfriend (who was also going to apply for cambridge but didn't get an A* in his maths a level that he sat early) has told me that it's really unlikely. I also don't know about how much work it is going to be and whether the work load to apply for Cambridge would affect my A level studies and affect my changes of getting into Durham. Can people please offer their advice? I need to decide ASAP and I'm so torn.
    You've got loads of time to decide, just because you put it on UCAS doesn't mean you have to go there! There will be plenty of opportunity to learn more about the university and by the time you have to make a decision - results day next year, you will know a lot more about all universities.

If you are getting good grades, why not put it on your UCAS form and start the process? It doesn't really matter how unlikely it is, some people get in (about 25% of applicants I think) and anyway it's just one of 5 choices and you can only go to one of them in the end.

There's not a massive additional workload to getting in to Cambridge than any other university. Applying there doesn't affect your chances of getting in anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    The additional work load to apply will be minimal and won't affect your A-Level studies at all. You've got a good shot at applying, don't listen to your boyfriend. The only thing it's going to come down to is whether you want to apply or not, if you do then sure, go ahead and do it! Try having a look at https://www.applytocambridge.com/ - the alternative prospectus is excellent. Look at the English course at Cambridge, see whether it's for you, are there any modules that you really want to do? Is the amount of literature right for you

ReputationRep:
    I have really similar GCSE grades to you (4A*, 3A, 4B) and 3As and a B at AS (99% UMS in my chosen subject), and I'm applying. I'm aware the chances of getting in aren't that high but I have other unis I really like too so it's not the be all and end all. If you look up the course and like it, I would definitely apply, but of course there's no point if you don't. Someone at my college who got 3A*s at GCSE (no extenuating circumstances I don't think) is off to Cambridge for Medicine this year, a far more competitive course than what I'm going for. I would be really happy just to get an interview because the opportunity to talk about my subject with academics is one I wouldn't want to pass up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Is the amount of literate right for you
    :poke:

But yes, OP, follow the rest of Zacken's advice

And it definitely doesn't affect your chances of getting into Durham. For one thing they don't know where else you have applied, and according to this >50% of Durham students also applied to Oxbridge anyway: http://www.palatinate.org.uk/are%E2%...-rejects’-2/

One more thing to consider is applying just to Cambridge before their Oct 15 deadline and then add your other choices later. You don't have to commit all your choices right now. Just be aware that once you first submit your UCAS you can't then change any other details - i.e. your Personal Statement and Reference stays the same for all your choices. But this would give you more time to fully research your other university choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamplemousse.)
    I have really similar GCSE grades to you (4A*, 3A, 4B) and 3As and a B at AS (99% UMS in my chosen subject), and I'm applying. I'm aware the chances of getting in aren't that high but I have other unis I really like too so it's not the be all and end all. If you look up the course and like it, I would definitely apply, but of course there's no point if you don't. Someone at my college who got 3A*s at GCSE (no extenuating circumstances I don't think) is off to Cambridge for Medicine this year, a far more competitive course than what I'm going for. I would be really happy just to get an interview because the opportunity to talk about my subject with academics is one I wouldn't want to pass up.
    ^^^
    a sort of person they'd think they want to teach.
    Good luck with your application, and enjoy the interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BriStewart)
    I am really stuck about whether to apply for Cambridge. My parents are foreign so they struggle to realise how hard it is to get into Cambridge. I want to study English and my high school are really keen on me applying. I got 4 A*s 4 As 1 B and 1 C at GCSE, and 3 As (top grade) and 1 B at AS. I did a mock ELAT test at school and apparently I did really well. Although my school really want me to reply, I am reluctant because I haven't seen the university, and I haven't done any preparation for it. My boyfriend (who was also going to apply for cambridge but didn't get an A* in his maths a level that he sat early) has told me that it's really unlikely. I also don't know about how much work it is going to be and whether the work load to apply for Cambridge would affect my A level studies and affect my changes of getting into Durham. Can people please offer their advice? I need to decide ASAP and I'm so torn.
    And don't believe anybody who says Durham won't give you an offer if you apply to Oxbridge. It is NOT TRUE. Best of luck 👍

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which would you rather be...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.