The Student Room Group

Getting into Accounting?

Hello,

Im nearly 19. I've got 8 Scottish Highers)- enough to get into pretty much any Scottish Uni. I want to work in Accounting/Finance, but i'm not sure how best to get there.
I've been considering apprenticeships but most accountancy apprenticeships are around £13k in Scotland and you obtain AAT qualifications- which i don't think are very prestigious. One of my parents told me that i'd be "wasting my potential" to get an apprenticeship because i did so well at school.
University appeals to be because of the better graduate prospects and salary.
My main concerns with university are just the opportunity cost of going to uni would be- what i could have earned in an apprenticeship over those four years (about 50k). Also, about not obtaining the coveted 2:1 needed to get onto a grad scheme.
I'll be honest. I don't want to go to university, but i feel that if i dont- ill seriously limit my earning potential and how far i can go in the field. I also worry that i'll regret not going when i'm older.

Anyone in a similar situation or can provide any guidance?
Have you looked at job specs and worked out what you need to get into the field? That should give you a good idea of what you need to do.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
Have you looked at job specs and worked out what you need to get into the field? That should give you a good idea of what you need to do.

To get an apprenticeship, you just need a decent set of highers and a "passion for finance".

To get a low-level accounting job, like a Finance Assistant- you simply need a few years experience in a finance environment, and a few ask for a qualification- no higher than an HNC usually.

To get a good accounting job, like a Trainee Accountant, they all ask for a 2:1 degree. Some more prestigious ones specify that it must be from a Russell Group uni. Then they train you to become chartered or whatever route you want to go down.
Reply 3
Original post by EdwardB66
Some more prestigious ones specify that it must be from a Russell Group uni.

oh jeez seriously?
so should i be applying for russell group unis only or is cass business school/queen mary's good enough?
Original post by Inker
oh jeez seriously?
so should i be applying for russell group unis only or is cass business school/queen mary's good enough?

queen mary is a russell group uni.
cass is quite highly regarded although city university as a whole is not highly ranked
Reply 5
Original post by snoopyx
queen mary is a russell group uni.
cass is quite highly regarded although city university as a whole is not highly ranked

hey thank you for the answer
how do you know cass is highly regarded?
Original post by Inker
hey thank you for the answer
how do you know cass is highly regarded?

from people on here really

Quick Reply