Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Should I put this on my CV?!

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    I've just started a masters degree in political science in Germany and although i love the country etc. I really dont enjoy being a skint student again....And im not even sure if itll help me find a job anymore.... I graduated a few years ago, and although i do have 2 + years experience working for a charity, it was only tempoary job and spent the last 2 years working as a staff manager in retail. I have a lot of volunteer experience but that was a couple of years ago now.

I thought id love being a student again, but i really dont.

I now want to start applying for jobs in england and would be willing to quit/ delay my masters degree. But how do i explain that im willing to quit my masters in a job interview???

Should i just leave it off my CV? I could put that im still working as a staff manager in uk. Or should i include it, and explain the masters degree simply isnt for me and would like to work?

The types of jobs i want - support worker for charity £21,000/ HR/ any office based or charity job hopefully outside of London- maybe bristol or manchester etc.

Please help! I cant ask the uni career advisor so you lot will have to do 😀

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't put on your course as it will look like your or available until the Autumn of 2017 or you have quit the course within weeks of it starting (which will sometime cause a question mark over judgement/commitment).

But you can't lie on your CV and say your are doing a job that you aren't doing now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you desperately want to quit the masters? I would love to be able to do one, just cant afford it atm. I disagree with what you say about you not being able to get a job with it though, it would put you above others who have just an undergrad degree, and also considering your work experience it'll benefit you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    I wouldn't put on your course as it will look like your or available until the Autumn of 2017 or you have quit the course within weeks of it starting (which will sometime cause a question mark over judgement/commitment).

But you can't lie on your CV and say your are doing a job that you aren't doing now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah i know i shouldnt lie, but its my partners small bussniss so they could easily call and ask for a reference and theyd never know. Or is that really sneaky?

I want to start volunteering so should i just put my voluntary work in germany and say i came here to volunteer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jokesonyoum8)
    Do you desperately want to quit the masters? I would love to be able to do one, just cant afford it atm. I disagree with what you say about you not being able to get a job with it though, it would put you above others who have just an undergrad degree, and also considering your work experience it'll benefit you
    Kind of, yes. I honestly thought id love it too, i saved for it ( although its so much cheaper than uk!) but maybe bcos im 26 now i just feel tired of studying. I do love living abroad though.

I dont know, 2 of ex managers told me it wont help and i feel during interviews that my work experience is much more appealing to them. But i do know 2 people who have an MA who got a job i want. And others who dont so....

I dont want to go in academia, just like i mentioned a charity/ ngo/ local government role for like 20 grand a year is good...i kinda of feel like experience will be better and like i said im sorta hating my MA...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by small.littlefish)
    Yeah i know i shouldnt lie, but its my partners small bussniss so they could easily call and ask for a reference and theyd never know. Or is that really sneaky?

I want to start volunteering so should i just put my voluntary work in germany and say i came here to volunteer?
    More than sneaky - it's lying. Plus you wouldn't be able to mention anything about Germany at all.

You could say you decided to move to Germany to see a different culture/lifestyle, and then include your volunteering if that is something you achieve.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How do you eat your pizza
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.