Just one sec...
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

I don't want to continue with college. Is it bad that I keep changing my mind?!?!

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm currently doing a Level 3 Extended Diploma at college in Health and Social Care.
    I left school in June and all my GCSE's were B's. I applied for the H&Sc course because that sector has always interested me but I changed my mind and really wanted to try somehing a bit different. So I applied for a Business and Admin apprenticeship and got the job. So I started at this small office and the first few days I was eager to get straight in to it but I'm not going to lie it was boring. Brain numbing even.

So after 3 weeks I quit. I never withdrew my application for college so I went and enrolled and on the 6th of September I started college.

The thing is I don't like it. See although I quit my apprenticeship it was because of the sector. I knew I would never progress in that job, all I did was pick up phones and file and copy, all regarding a business I wasn't interested in at all. But I did like working, the extra money is great but not only that being hands on and out of a classroom is great.

I missed over half of highschool because of anxiety and the half I did complete was not in a classroom it was in a sort of nurture room. I built my confidence back up slightly, just enough to manage the college clasroom but I did miss 2 lessons last week because it got to much.

I've changed my mind so much and I dont want to let anyone down. I really dont know what to do from here. I know if I want to really get to UNI that this course would be the best way but I cant concentrate in class and I don't think I can do it. All the essays and the assignments.

Apprenticeship in Health and social care or college? I dont know what to do and I keep changing my mind. Im pretty sure health and social care is what i want to do but I just don't know anymore. Eurgh. Any advice appreciated Im interested in social work with adults, mental health and alcohol and drug missuse.

ReputationRep:
    College and even uni is hard work and there's no point in doing it if you aren't in it for the long run. This field is difficult to get into and is hard work. At this stage I suggest getting some work experience in this and other sectors and working out what you're good at and what you want to do. Then think about what you need to get to where you want to and go from there. Otherwise you're just wasting time and potentially money jumping from one thing to the next and that doesn't help with confidence either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    College and even uni is hard work and there's no point in doing it if you aren't in it for the long run. This field is difficult to get into and is hard work. At this stage I suggest getting some work experience in this and other sectors and working out what you're good at and what you want to do. Then think about what you need to get to where you want to and go from there. Otherwise you're just wasting time and potentially money jumping from one thing to the next and that doesn't help with confidence either.
    Thanks for the advice. I appreciate where you're coming from and believe me I know that it takes hard work. I am willing to put it in, like I did at school but as I said its the environment that I am struggling with. I can do the work I just can't do it in a big class with 25 other people at the moment.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How do you eat your pizza

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.