The Student Room Group

How to improve A-LEVEL Grades?

Hi guys!

For AS i was predicted AABB and got CCDD. pretty disappointed to say the least.
I was wondering how i can improve my grades. I felt as if i was putting in the work everyday since day one but it all was worth **** when i opened up the results this august. I really want to turn my grades around. Preferably AAA or AAB. The following is what i done for my subjects (the ones i am carrying on) it would be great if you could suggest what i am doing wrong or what you done to improve your grades etc.

Biology
Write notes
make cue cards
memories
do a few past papers

Chemistry
Make notes
make cue cards
memorise
do lots of past papers

Maths
Practice
Practice
past papers

I also suffer from lots of anxiety issues and recently suffered from depression during exams. I am applying for medicine with foundation year and i only need BBC-BBB but it would be great to come out with AAA or ABB

Any help would be appreciated
JF1
Reply 1
When you done the past papers were you scoring highly or as you aimed for?
Also did you just memorise things rather than understand them? If you did, then this year try to understand things as you will remember it more and if not then just make sure you revisit old notes regularly so you strengthen memory
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by VictoriaCoolio
I've suffered from major depression and anxiety this year. I was predicted A*A*A but achieved A*BB

I know it can be hard its annoying. Did you get your offer and what were you applying for?
Original post by AdeptDz
When you done the past papers were you scoring highly or as you aimed for?
Also did you just memorise things rather than understand them? If you did, then this year try to understand things as you will remember it more and if not then just make sure you revisit old notes regularly so you strengthen memory

I am good at memorisng so i kida leave that last in terms of revison. Try to understand my content first then try questions then memorisr the memoring aspects of thr subject e.g definitons etc. In terms of mocks i never got below a B in biology mostly As and in chemistry same story with maths i got Bs and Cs. I kinda screwes up on C1 so i saw the D coming cause i had A and C in the other sections. I have called back my papers is there anything else i can do that i am not doing?
Reply 4
Original post by jayeshforce1
I am good at memorisng so i kida leave that last in terms of revison. Try to understand my content first then try questions then memorisr the memoring aspects of thr subject e.g definitons etc. In terms of mocks i never got below a B in biology mostly As and in chemistry same story with maths i got Bs and Cs. I kinda screwes up on C1 so i saw the D coming cause i had A and C in the other sections. I have called back my papers is there anything else i can do that i am not doing?

When you done the past papers did you see were you went wrong then revised on that and made sure you new it then like a week or 2 after do the same past paper and see if you improved. and also did you do it under timed conditions and stuff like improving on your weaknesses when you got Bs instead of As

Quick Reply

Latest