ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    Vote in the poll!
    What poll? And yes I would.

sounds like a great idea !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckfeister)
    What poll? And yes I would.
    The thread posted before I had time to complete the poll!

ReputationRep:
    The thread posted before I had time to complete the poll!
    Serious question - what is the rationale and revenue model behind this? Are you planning to monetise it in some sense - i.e.are you planning to charge advertisers?

If so, one thing to think about might be the nexus of the discussion boards, jobs board and the members. Are you going to vet / eliminate certain advertisers? What about politically unpopular advertisers? Let's say a large sports retailer with a perceived bad rep for industrial relations?
    Are you going to allow members to air negative attitudes toward advertisers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    Serious question - what is the rationale and revenue model behind this? Are you planning to monetise it in some sense - i.e.are you planning to charge advertisers?

If so, one thing to think about might be the nexus of the discussion boards, jobs board and the members. Are you going to vet / eliminate certain advertisers? What about politically unpopular advertisers? Let's say a large sports retailer with a perceived bad rep for industrial relations?
    Are you going to allow members to air negative attitudes toward advertisers?
    Hey Trinculo! I head up our recruitment team here at TSR, at present nothing is in the pipeline to either create or monetise a job board. This is more of a sounding board exercise to see whether you the community and our guest audience would find value in it and if so, what areas of recruitment would you like to know more about?

Cheers
    Paul

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a great idea! I'd definitely use something like this

ReputationRep:
    Vote in the poll!
    I said yes however i'd say that the existing careers section already acts in a similar manner for the larger firms (and anybody with sense will have looked at those threads and headed to the firms website). A more live and condensed format could build on this (i.e. have a thread with a weekly update that says 'these are the current vacancies'.

If you were going down the job board route then one thing that always annoys me is duplication (you see an interesting vacancy but it turns out you already saw it elsewhere) so i'd like to see a TSR job board focus more on smaller firms if that were possible.

(Original post by Paulwyn)
    qfa
    Relevant to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I said yes however i'd say that the existing careers section already acts in a similar manner for the larger firms (and anybody with sense will have looked at those threads and headed to the firms website). A more live and condensed format could build on this (i.e. have a thread with a weekly update that says 'these are the current vacancies'.

If you were going down the job board route then one thing that always annoys me is duplication (you see an interesting vacancy but it turns out you already saw it elsewhere) so i'd like to see a TSR job board focus more on smaller firms if that were possible.

Relevant to you.
    May be showing by age here and not 100% au fait with TLA's but what is QFA? I assume 'quoted for accuracy'!

Anyway, thanks for that insight, really useful and agree around duplication. it would be good to see smaller recruiters alongside the big beats like Deloitte etc.

ReputationRep:
    May be showing by age here and not 100% au fait with TLA's but what is QFA? I assume 'quoted for accuracy'!

Anyway, thanks for that insight, really useful and agree around duplication. it would be good to see smaller recruiters alongside the big beats like Deloitte etc.
    Quoted for Attention.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Trinculo! I head up our recruitment team here at TSR, at present nothing is in the pipeline to either create or monetise a job board. This is more of a sounding board exercise to see whether you the community and our guest audience would find value in it and if so, what areas of recruitment would you like to know more about?

Cheers
    Paul
    I can't see how it would be a bad thing in concept - if anything a positive.

My concern would be around the potential for conflict between the members and owners/employers. Like all internet fora, TSR brings out the worst in people, and you have a forum in which the raison d'etre isn't job hunting, but general young people type stuff.

I don't think it's difficult to see problems between advertisers (of job vacancies) and members, where members who aren't involved in the conversation essentially have a free rein to anonymously air their views on a particular company. I'm pretty sure I saw a thread somewhere about a McDonalds management programme (started by McDonalds HR), where a number of members used the thread as an opportunity to insult the firm.

I'd also be concerned about firms with political or global connections being subject to all sorts of friction. TSR has some of the hallmarks of a virtual student union - and we know that people in SUs can act like total nobs under the veil of political activism. I'm thinking of any employer connected to arms trade or Israel.

This would be magnified if the advertisers were paying (i.e. you monetised the board) TSR might feel obliged to protect the advertisers leading to more problems.

Finally - there's an issue of oblique "data protection". A slight extension of the facebook phenomenon. One might think that one's business is one's business - that on TSR a person can air their personal, social or poltical views. However, if I take up a job ad on TSR, depending on the circumstances, it might not be that difficult to identify a member IRL from their board activity - hence a recruitment team in a few clicks could find out a lot about a candidate that they wouldnt otherwise be party to.

For example, "Member X" is interested in a vacancy on the forum - and it becomes obvious in real life they are John (or Jane), the real life candidate. It would only take mere seconds before or after this identification for a recruiter to learn a ton about them that would otherwise be impossible - they might have various religious, political or social views. They might talk about their personal life - and unless they make dupe accounts for jobs, or delete their whole TSR history - there's no way to stop this.

And as an employer - why wouldn't you? Of course HR teams check people out on facebook to make sure there's nothing aberrant. You'd be quite mad not to do the same if you recruited on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    If it offered something different to all the other job boards out there, then sure, another can't hurt

ReputationRep:

Hahah Paul, you need to get down with the lingo :P

ReputationRep:
    I voted yes, although I'm not sure what the difference is between a Jobs board and the Careers section? Whatever name the section has in the future, I think it should be moved off the bottom of the forum list. It seems a shame to leave it languishing down there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    I voted yes, although I'm not sure what the difference is between a Jobs board and the Careers section? Whatever name the section has in the future, I think it should be moved off the bottom of the forum list. It seems a shame to leave it languishing down there.
    Agree it is way too useful and important to be languishing in TSR limbo. The main differences would be:

Careers Section: area for members to discuss careers, talk to employers, share feedback and find peer to peer support around careers

Jobs Board: actively listings job/career opportunities for School leavers, apprentices, term time jobs etc.

...as mentioned, previously this is pie in the sky thinking but your feedback is super useful

ReputationRep:
    If it's for jobs to work for TSR then why not

ReputationRep:
    It would depend on its nature. I suspect it would only work if threads were exclusively "we have this job, please apply for it" rather than allowing "I have these skills, please give me a job". Similarly, I think breaking it into sub-boards so that graduate level jobs are not mixed in with unskilled/part time.

It might also be good to arrange things by region. When I was unemployed I didn't care that there was a job opportunity in South East England as I wouldn't be willing to move 250 miles to London to work in a pub! Or even a graduate job.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the comments guys, some super useful comments.

Manitude agree the UX for any job board needs to take into account differing categories, levels and location. ultimately if the user journey is pants for users, then everything falls apart.

UWS check out our corporate site TSR Matters, always looking for new programmers, sales staff and ad ops

Trinculo lots of intersting points here but the main one I want to pick up on is around community, ultimately it is self defeating to stifle the voice of TSR community and it is down to brands and recruiters to challenge pre/misconceptions

I will keep this poll up until 5pm Friday and then close it off, any questions let me know

ReputationRep:

Trinculo lots of intersting points here but the main one I want to pick up on is around community, ultimately it is self defeating to stifle the voice of TSR community and it is down to brands and recruiters to challenge pre/misconceptions
    Really?

That's not how you deal with things on the other boards, though. The "voice of the TSR community" is often stifled in protection of certain categories of posts / members.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    Really?

That's not how you deal with things on the other boards, though. The "voice of the TSR community" is often stifled in protection of certain categories of posts / members.
    I say this as a user of the site and my personal view (not just as a TSR employee).

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who will be the next permanent England boss?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.