Just one sec...
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Epq - help!!!!

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    Im going to be taking epq as my enrichment activity at sixth form and I need some ideas on what I should write about. Also how much are we supposed to write, and what are so do's/dont's.
    Thanks )

ReputationRep:
    bumpppp

ReputationRep:
    Which exam board are you doing the EPQ with? (what you'll need to do for the EPQ varies between exam boards, I can only tell you about AQA as I did my EPQ with them)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    Which exam board are you doing the EPQ with? (what you'll need to do for the EPQ varies between exam boards, I can only tell you about AQA as I did my EPQ with them)
    Im not sure :/ can you tell me about AQA tho, they'll probabky be similar in some ways to other exam boards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s.mo)
    Im not sure :/ can you tell me about AQA tho, they'll probabky be similar in some ways to other exam boards
    The EPQ can take a couple of different formats, i.e. a 5000 word essay, or a 1000 word essay + an artefact, such as a piece of music, a play or sculpture. If you opt for the essay, you don't have to write exactly 5000 words, you can write anywhere from roughly 4500 to 5500 (but try not to go above 6000, your essay should be concise and not rambly). In addition, you also need to give a 10-15 minute oral presentation at the end of the project, and fill in a Log Book/Production Log, which is a document where you record everything you do throughout the project, the main things being 1) what you've done so far, 2) what you plan to do next, 3) any changes you've made and 4) any feedback given to you by your supervisor/mentor.

Your topic can be pretty much anything, within reason of course! Most students pick a topic which is related to one or more of their A Level subjects, or the degree they want to study afterwards. You're not allowed to research any topics which you are covering at A Level though, so bear that in mind. Your title should ideally be in the form of question, which you can discuss the arguments/evidence for and against in your essay, and then come to a conclusion at the end. It's also good if your title question allows you to collect primary data, but it's not essential.

A few tips:
    • Make sure you reference all of your quotes and images, diagrams etc properly, and use at least 3 sources of information, e.g. a book, a website and a TV programme - you get marks for doing this! Also make a note of the date that you used each source and include them in square brackets after the corresponding source in the bibliography.
    • Fill in the Log Book as thoroughly as you can, because (annoyingly) the majority of the marks come from this, not the essay itself. Obviously try to make your essay as good as possible too! But keep in mind that the Log Book is what generates most of the marks.
    • When you do your presentation at the end of the project, make sure you have slides covering the following: why you chose to do the EPQ, why you chose your title, resources you used, what you found out, your conclusion, any difficulties you encountered, the benefits of doing the EPQ, what you'd do differently if you did the EPQ again, whether or not you'd recommend the EPQ to others and why. Also make sure you give the audience the opportunity to ask questions at the end, to meet the criteria of an 'interactive element'.
    • Also, write the essay WHILE you are doing your research, not afterwards. It's easier and quicker to spot whether you're running out of stuff to write about if you write the essay while you're researching. If you do all your research beforehand, you may run out of time to tweak your title to provide more scope etc, especially if you start the essay late!
    I hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    The EPQ can take a couple of different formats, i.e. a 5000 word essay, or a 1000 word essay + an artefact, such as a piece of music, a play or sculpture. If you opt for the essay, you don't have to write exactly 5000 words, you can write anywhere from roughly 4500 to 5500 (but try not to go above 6000, your essay should be concise and not rambly). In addition, you also need to give a 10-15 minute oral presentation at the end of the project, and fill in a Log Book/Production Log, which is a document where you record everything you do throughout the project, the main things being 1) what you've done so far, 2) what you plan to do next, 3) any changes you've made and 4) any feedback given to you by your supervisor/mentor.

Your topic can be pretty much anything, within reason of course! Most students pick a topic which is related to one or more of their A Level subjects, or the degree they want to study afterwards. You're not allowed to research any topics which you are covering at A Level though, so bear that in mind. Your title should ideally be in the form of question, which you can discuss the arguments/evidence for and against in your essay, and then come to a conclusion at the end. It's also good if your title question allows you to collect primary data, but it's not essential.

A few tips:
    • Make sure you reference all of your quotes and images, diagrams etc properly, and use at least 3 sources of information, e.g. a book, a website and a TV programme - you get marks for doing this! Also make a note of the date that you used each source and include them in square brackets after the corresponding source in the bibliography.
    • Fill in the Log Book as thoroughly as you can, because (annoyingly) the majority of the marks come from this, not the essay itself. Obviously try to make your essay as good as possible too! But keep in mind that the Log Book is what generates most of the marks.
    • When you do your presentation at the end of the project, make sure you have slides covering the following: why you chose to do the EPQ, why you chose your title, resources you used, what you found out, your conclusion, any difficulties you encountered, the benefits of doing the EPQ, what you'd do differently if you did the EPQ again, whether or not you'd recommend the EPQ to others and why. Also make sure you give the audience the opportunity to ask questions at the end, to meet the criteria of an 'interactive element'.
    • Also, write the essay WHILE you are doing your research, not afterwards. It's easier and quicker to spot whether you're running out of stuff to write about if you write the essay while you're researching. If you do all your research beforehand, you may run out of time to tweak your title to provide more scope etc, especially if you start the essay late!
    I hope that helps
    Thank you!!!! )
    Also who do you do the presentation in front of would it be a recording or in front of classmates and the supervisor??
    Ive been doing research and i think i wanna do it on conspiracies, but i still haven't decided which one
    I have to fill out an allication rn and idk what i should write for why i want to do epq tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s.mo)
    Thank you!!!! )
    Also who do you do the presentation in front of would it be a recording or in front of classmates and the supervisor??
    Ive been doing research and i think i wanna do it on conspiracies, but i still haven't decided which one
    I have to fill out an allication rn and idk what i should write for why i want to do epq tbh
    Most people do the presentation in front of a smallish group, say 10-20 people. I did mine in front of 2 friends and my supervisor, so you can just have a couple of people if you want (you have to have your supervisor present though)

ReputationRep:
    Most people do the presentation in front of a smallish group, say 10-20 people. I did mine in front of 2 friends and my supervisor, so you can just have a couple of people if you want (you have to have your supervisor present though)
    oh ok. How long is the whole course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s.mo)
    oh ok. How long is the whole course?
    I started my EPQ in June, and handed it in the following September

ReputationRep:
    I started my EPQ in June, and handed it in the following September
    what kind of things should i write for why i chose the course? Im not sure what to write...
    sorry if i keep on asking so many questions lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s.mo)
    what kind of things should i write for why i chose the course? Im not sure what to write...
    sorry if i keep on asking so many questions lol
    You could say that you wanted to take the opportunity to research a topic which interests you, and/or develop skills which are useful for university such as extended essay writing, referencing, public speaking and so on

ReputationRep:
    You could say that you wanted to take the opportunity to research a topic which interests you, and/or develop skills which are useful for university such as extended essay writing, referencing, public speaking and so on
    would the public speaking part be the presentation at the end?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s.mo)
    would the public speaking part be the presentation at the end?
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    I hope that helps
    My college doesnt do EPQ, are there lessons for it or something?
    I want to do one, but I have literally no clue of what it consists of or if there are any lessons for it...

So how do you guys do it in your college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fbiemad)
    My college doesnt do EPQ, are there lessons for it or something?
    I want to do one, but I have literally no clue of what it consists of or if there are any lessons for it...

So how do you guys do it in your college?
    When I was in college, after I signed up to do it, I had EPQ 'lessons' for one hour per week for a couple of months before and after the summer holidays (I started my project in June and finished it in around November). We were basically just told what we needed to do, then left to it! We were also given an EPQ mentor, i.e. one of our tutors, who oversaw the project and helped us out along the way

ReputationRep:
    When I was in college, after I signed up to do it, I had EPQ 'lessons' for one hour per week for a couple of months before and after the summer holidays (I started my project in June and finished it in around November). We were basically just told what we needed to do, then left to it! We were also given an EPQ mentor, i.e. one of our tutors, who oversaw the project and helped us out along the way
    Oh ok.
    I guess I wont be able to do it. We dont have such lessons and it will probably not be worth doing if I have no idea what the process is and ...

Anyways, thanks for the quick reply!

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok.
    I guess I wont be able to do it. We dont have such lessons and it will probably not be worth doing if I have no idea what the process is and ...

Anyways, thanks for the quick reply!
    Have you asked about doing it privately perhaps? I can try and help you out

ReputationRep:
    Have you asked about doing it privately perhaps? I can try and help you out
    Thats kind of you

I will try to ask them tomorrow.
    Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    Thats kind of you

I will try to ask them tomorrow.
    Thanks again.
    No problem

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who will be the next permanent England boss?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Books

Essential advice

11 things A-level students wish they'd known before starting their course.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.