Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Universities that accept low grades

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

I'm 28 and just finished studying A levels as a private candidate. I got one good grade and two very bad ones. I began A levels with the intention of studying modern Italian literature in Italy, and that intention remains. The requirements for universities there are: 3 passes at GCSE, and 3 passes at A level (A level subjects must be relevant to the university course).

I am curious to know whether, with my B in Italian, E in English literature and E in History, I would actually be able to get into at least one university in the UK or not. I've always been convinced that in this country you need As and Bs, otherwise there's no hope for you; however, whilst looking at some posts on this site, I've come across people who have gotten into universities with low grades.

I studied very hard, with constancy, and took my A levels very seriously. However, I wasn't organised well enough, and so, I didn't start exam practice early enough. I really didn't master the skill of telling the examiner the right things in order to tick off the assessment objectives. To compensate though, I did know a lot of stuff before going into the exam and my mind has made huge leaps in the last few years. Thus, the exam results don't necessarily mean that I'm not very "academic". It's just I wasn't good enough at being both a student AND a teacher (the latter would've organised the course in a way so as to begin exam practice very early).

Do you know some universities that accept low grades? It doesn't matter whether the degree you come out with would be considered a "joke degree" (as they call it on here). I would just like to know some names of universities that would be happy with an application like mine.

I could back it up with 10 GCSEs (8 A's and 2 B's); a BTEC National Diploma with three distinctions (3 A's) in Photography; one year of life and work experience in Italy; five very good references from teachers who know well my current ability in both literature and Italian; native equivalent level in Italian (learnt on my own, not at a school).

Do you think at least one university would accept an application like mine? There must be some that accept the students just for their money ahahah. Please list as many as you can think of!

(Original post by mipmipmao)
    I think it is unlikely that any university would accept you with a B and two Es, but you should ask them and see what they say, you never know.

Have you considered applying for a foundation year instead? Not many universities offer language foundation years, but some do: Hull (click the FY button), Essex (also see here and here) and Nottingham (although not for Italian). I know Durham used to do one but it has been replaced with this. You could email them and ask if the course is suitable for prospective language students. It might also be possible to transfer into the first year of an Italian degree at better universities after you've completed the foundation year.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.