Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

which tech gadget should I upgrade / buy first?

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    hey all,

I think the technology I own is a little outdated, ok some people may say my stuff is WAY outdated but I seriously need some advice.

The current tech gadgets I own are a toshiba laptop c855d, and a iphone 5, and a currently not working ipod 4 due to generally being old - i haven't used it since ios5/6 came out, i stopped using it because none of the apps or system were supported anymore.

please can anyone help decide / advise which device i should replace first or buy..

My Laptop

gets on my nerves: its very heavy to lug around but i don't bc it is heavy

I had it when i was in eiter yr 7 or y8 for christmas that was around either 2011 - 2012, so perhaps around 4 years old

its a noisy old thing and gives me a headache when i type due to the whirring sound

its getting slower and slower - windows 10 hasn't been doing it any favours, and Redstone will probably make it even worse.

i avoid using it tbh in general and i refuse to use it at college / library bc of the noise it makes - if you were comparing a electric fan to my laptop there wouldn't be much difference tbh

i'd like to be able to use my laptop for eventually beginning to create my own YouTube videos and i don't think my laptop will be able to cope

My iPhone 5

bought with my own money and job for christmas when i was fourteen yay.
    however:

I haven't enjoyed the experience as much bc there isn't much freedom and stuff i can do on it apart from the built in apps and safari & camera

each new iphone bought out makes it feel more and more outdated

i'm worried how many more updates my iphone will be able to handle

rubbish battery as ALWAYS thanks Apple.

i'm always spending extra dosh on things like apple chargers

i'm worried about all the stuff i've bought via itunes and if i switch to android i won't be able to access the apps, and a couple of films i've bought.

I'm usually surfing the web and i think a tablet will suit my needs, i LOVE the sounds of the ipad pro atm, the apple pen also sounds awesome but i know this is an added cost. i was thinking about either the samsung galaxy tab s3 when it comes out, or surface pro 5 if it surfaces or either the ipad pro.
    and i'm leaning towards the galaxy note next model for the phone once galaxy have fixed the exploding battery.
    any advise? bear in mind that I'm a 17 years old as well - i've got a job but I don't earn much but I can save up for it though as it adds up over time.
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    What do you need more? You can usually pick up a decent tablet / 2 in 1 tablet / laptop which isn't too badly priced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bizzy_penguin)
    hey all,

I think the technology I own is a little outdated, ok some people may say my stuff is WAY outdated but I seriously need some advice.

The current tech gadgets I own are a toshiba laptop c855d, and a iphone 5, and a currently not working ipod 4 due to generally being old - i haven't used it since ios5/6 came out, i stopped using it because none of the apps or system were supported anymore.

please can anyone help decide / advise which device i should replace first or buy..

My Laptop

gets on my nerves: its very heavy to lug around but i don't bc it is heavy

I had it when i was in eiter yr 7 or y8 for christmas that was around either 2011 - 2012, so perhaps around 4 years old

its a noisy old thing and gives me a headache when i type due to the whirring sound

its getting slower and slower - windows 10 hasn't been doing it any favours, and Redstone will probably make it even worse.

i avoid using it tbh in general and i refuse to use it at college / library bc of the noise it makes - if you were comparing a electric fan to my laptop there wouldn't be much difference tbh

i'd like to be able to use my laptop for eventually beginning to create my own YouTube videos and i don't think my laptop will be able to cope

My iPhone 5

bought with my own money and job for christmas when i was fourteen yay.
    however:

I haven't enjoyed the experience as much bc there isn't much freedom and stuff i can do on it apart from the built in apps and safari & camera

each new iphone bought out makes it feel more and more outdated

i'm worried how many more updates my iphone will be able to handle

rubbish battery as ALWAYS thanks Apple.

i'm always spending extra dosh on things like apple chargers

i'm worried about all the stuff i've bought via itunes and if i switch to android i won't be able to access the apps, and a couple of films i've bought.

I'm usually surfing the web and i think a tablet will suit my needs, i LOVE the sounds of the ipad pro atm, the apple pen also sounds awesome but i know this is an added cost. i was thinking about either the samsung galaxy tab s3 when it comes out, or surface pro 5 if it surfaces or either the ipad pro.
    and i'm leaning towards the galaxy note next model for the phone once galaxy have fixed the exploding battery.
    any advise? bear in mind that I'm a 17 years old as well - i've got a job but I don't earn much but I can save up for it though as it adds up over time.
    thank you
    How much are you looking to spend? Given that you're looking at an iPad Pro or Note 7, I'm going to assume it's somewhere in the region of £600-£700. For that sort of money you could theoretically replace both your laptop and phone without really compromising on either- £700 could get you a flagship tier OnePlus 3 for £329 and something like an iPad Air 2 or 6th Gen i5 based laptop for around £370. Both will be solid improvements on your current gear without much in the way of compromise. The apps you've bought for iOS will need to be re-bought for Android which might be annoying, but unless you have £300+ of apps then it's still going to be cheaper to buy a OP3 and those apps than a newer iPhone. As for media you own, it will all be in formats that either work natively on Android or be easily convertible to ones that do, so no worries there.

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who will be the next permanent England boss?
Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.