Just one sec...
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Where can I get work experience that will help me get into an economics degree?

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faheemcg9)
    Yeah I've decided to ignore him and start economics. He posted on my other thread about how I have no chance of getting into Cambridge if I get 4 A*s at A level because of my GCSEs :s
    Someones projecting their own disappointments on other people
    Yh I didn't say that exactly though did I :/ stop crying to others looking for sympathy. I said it is really unlikely. And I did not say you have no chance getting into Cambridge with 4A*s at A level lol stop lying.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've decided to ignore him and start economics. He posted on my other thread about how I have no chance of getting into Cambridge if I get 4 A*s at A level because of my GCSEs :s
    Someones projecting their own disappointments on other people
    Yes just ignore him, judging by his poor attitude and personality i doubt any uni will accept him anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fksociety)
    Yes just ignore him, judging by his poor attitude and personality i doubt any uni will accept him anyway.
    Okay internet warrior. I'll leave you guys to it to conjure a competitive application

ReputationRep:
    And remember, Further maths is probably more important and at least you're doing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vl7d)
    Okay internet warrior. I'll leave you guys to it to conjure a competitive application
    No worries, we'll also visit you at your non target uni if you ever need help.

ReputationRep:
    No worries, we'll also visit you at your non target uni if you ever need help.
    Sorry which uni do you study at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vl7d)
    Judging by your username you probably are an outcast in society so resort to vent your anger out on forums. Nice
    Lol r u getting triggered? You're replying to posts that weren't even meant for you. And no, this account was intended as a persona i adopted. Any idiot could have figured that out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vl7d)
    Sorry which uni do you study at?
    Im doing AS levels

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you can make up for it with your A levels
    Well I'm extremely lucky to have got those grades without any revision But I see what you mean, I am absolutely determined to get 4 A*s at a level; I hope you make up for it too!

ReputationRep:
    Lol r u getting triggered? You're replying to posts that weren't even meant for you. And no, this account was intended as a persona i adopted. Any idiot could have figured that out.
    You having an alter persona just confirms my suspicions about you. Am I getting triggered? English please. That post was not intended for me? My bad I thought my quote and the direct response signified that it was. Whoops

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vl7d)
    You having an alter persona just confirms my suspicions about you. Am I getting triggered? English please. That post was not intended for me? My bad I thought my quote and the direct response signified that it was. Whoops
    I don't need your approval.

ReputationRep:
    My GCSE's are horrible for top unis which is why I'm trying to make up for it
    I got:
    Maths A*
    English Lit C
    English Lang C
    Biology A
    Chemistry A*
    Physics A
    Computing A
    ECDL D*
    Business C
    History D

I thought GCSE's weren't important and messed around. I didnt even complete coursework for Business and History. If I could go back in time I would punch 15 year old me in the face
    Unless you went to a very bad school then this is quite a weak GCSE profile as far as LSE is concerned, so this may hold you back a little bit. I assume you're going to be applying for straight Econ, and not joint-honours?

Also, just reading through the other comments, whilst Economics A Level is not a requirement for LSE if your school does indeed offer it then they're definitely going to question why you didn't take it, as this may show a lack of interest. Just ditch Biology because its the least relevant (unless you enjoy it more than Chemistry, also note that they only accept Further Maths as a fourth A Level so you may want to take this into consideration for A2). Don't bother doing Economics as a 5th subject because this will only take revision time away from your other subjects, just swap Biology out for it, as universities won't particularly care that you have 5 AS Levels. 2 weeks is honestly nothing to catch up on, if you buy a revision guide or borrow the school textbook then you could probably read through the topics they've covered in a single day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JRKinder)
    Unless you went to a very bad school then this is quite a weak GCSE profile as far as LSE is concerned, so this may hold you back a little bit. I assume you're going to be applying for straight Econ, and not joint-honours?

Also, just reading through the other comments, whilst Economics A Level is not a requirement for LSE if your school does indeed offer it then they're definitely going to question why you didn't take it, as this may show a lack of interest. Just ditch Biology because its the least relevant (unless you enjoy it more than Chemistry, also note that they only accept Further Maths as a fourth A Level so you may want to take this into consideration for A2). Don't bother doing Economics as a 5th subject because this will only take revision time away from your other subjects, just swap Biology out for it, as universities won't particularly care that you have 5 AS Levels. 2 weeks is honestly nothing to catch up on, if you buy a revision guide or borrow the school textbook then you could probably read through the topics they've covered in a single day.
    I got bad GCSE's because I didnt give two shits about it. And yeah I've decided to drop bio for economics

ReputationRep:
    I got bad GCSE's because I didnt give two shits about it. And yeah I've decided to drop bio for economics
    Well, unless it's a high performance for your school you probably will be at a significant disadvantage when compared to other applicants (for LSE that is). Are you applying for straight Econ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JRKinder)
    Well, unless it's a high performance for your school you probably will be at a significant disadvantage when compared to other applicants (for LSE that is). Are you applying for straight Econ?
    Yes. Is that harder to get into than joint courses? Are joint courses respected more or less? I want to get into investment banking

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any contacts? Know anyone In a bank?

I can only say try your luck by sending messages for experience, the earlier the better if you wait till after march everyone will be trying to get theirs. Demonstrating your activeness and awareness in the UK and global economy can prove better than work experience though. Most work experience is completely unrelated to A economics degree and is only a way to demonstrate your awareness and understanding of how it all works. So prioritise reading your daily economic scoop, do some digging for economic history, read up some nice theories and get through plenty of books!! It's far more appreciated than work experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    Do you have any contacts? Know anyone In a bank?

I can only say try your luck by sending messages for experience, the earlier the better if you wait till after march everyone will be trying to get theirs. Demonstrating your activeness and awareness in the UK and global economy can prove better than work experience though. Most work experience is completely unrelated to A economics degree and is only a way to demonstrate your awareness and understanding of how it all works. So prioritise reading your daily economic scoop, do some digging for economic history, read up some nice theories and get through plenty of books!! It's far more appreciated than work experience
    How would I demonstrate my knowledge of economics?

ReputationRep:
    Also it's not too late to start economics AS, I started in January this year and self-taught with no tutor and got an A. Anything is possible just be sure it's what you really want to do and the extra work will be a bucket full of joy

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Is that harder to get into than joint courses? Are joint courses respected more or less? I want to get into investment banking
    It is the flagship course and therefore one of the most competitive, so yes it is arguably harder to get into than some of the joint courses. I guess you could say that the joint courses would be respected less because the former is the 'main' course they offer, but pretty much any degree from LSE will serve you well. Since you do Further Maths you could try and aim for Maths&Econ, and getting good UMS scores at AS could make up for your GCSEs. I do hear a bit of criticism for Maths at LSE though, but I'm not too knowledgeable on that so you may want to ask someone else (it may, for example, just be compared to Maths at places like Oxbridge or Imperial, I'm not sure how it's viewed compared to other unis). For investment banking they look at the university first and the degree second. Obviously a relevant degree should stand you in good stead and could give you a bit of additional knowledge, but the university is the main factor (with Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL and Warwick being the main targets).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    Also it's not too late to start economics AS, I started in January this year and self-taught with no tutor and got an A. Anything is possible just be sure it's what you really want to do and the extra work will be a bucket full of joy
    I'll be starting this week if all goes well. Could you expand on what you said by me demonstrating my knowledge? How would I do that?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How do you eat your pizza
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Books

Essential advice

11 things A-level students wish they'd known before starting their course.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.