Just one sec...
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Dative covalent bonding - H2F+

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    How would you draw H2F+ ?
    Thank you

In what way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    In what way?
    Dot and cross diagram

(Original post by nisha.sri)
    Dot and cross diagram
    Like H2O, but with one H-F bond being dative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Like H2O, but with one H-F bond being dative.

So this is H20 what do you mean by one H-F ?

(Original post by nisha.sri)
    So this is H20 what do you mean by one H-F ?
    H2F+ is isoelectronic with H2O, but one of the H-F bonds is dative.

ReputationRep:
    Basically just draw out the dot and cross diagram for Fluorine. The + means it's missing 1 electron so it'll have 6 in its outer shell. Then just do the 1 electron from each Hydrogen being donated to the rest of the fluorine in the dot and cross diagram. Should have 2 lone pairs and 2 bonded

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by everythingice)
    Basically just draw out the dot and cross diagram for Fluorine. The + means it's missing 1 electron so it'll have 6 in its outer shell. Then just do the 1 electron from each Hydrogen being donated to the rest of the fluorine in the dot and cross diagram. Should have 2 lone pairs and 2 bonded
    What you describe would be identical to Water's dot and cross diagram and would contain no dative bond.

A better way would be to draw the diagram for HF then add on a H+ (this is better because addition of protons to HF is how the species forms)

This gives a slightly different, correct, diagram!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MexicanKeith)
    What you describe would be identical to Water's dot and cross diagram and would contain no dative bond.

A better way would be to draw the diagram for HF then add on a H+ (this is better because addition of protons to HF is how the species forms)

This gives a slightly different, correct, diagram!
    Oh oops yeah I forgot there was another step to it. I just usually do the dot and cross thing to extablish the sort of diagram i'm doing then I do brackets around it with a plus sign and an arrow instead of a line in the compound where one of the Hs is datively bonded.

Need to do more chemistry practise haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by everythingice)
    Oh oops yeah I forgot there was another step to it. I just usually do the dot and cross thing to extablish the sort of diagram i'm doing then I do brackets around it with a plus sign and an arrow instead of a line in the compound where one of the Hs is datively bonded.

Need to do more chemistry practise haha.
    Just thought I'd be picky for the sake of being 100% right, your way still ends up with the right diagram in terms of the final positions of electrons, just doesn't show where they come from so well! :w00t:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MexicanKeith)
    Just thought I'd be picky for the sake of being 100% right, your way still ends up with the right diagram in terms of the final positions of electrons, just doesn't show where they come from so well! :w00t:
    Yeah fair enough.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which would you rather be...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.