Just one sec...
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Nat 5 requirements for English Folio?

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi there , so I recently started working towards the folio , so we are working from different resources. Just completed my lord of the flies assignment which I done 600 words for . My assesor told me that this isnt enough for NAT 5 , so what will happen , how can I improve? .

ReputationRep:
    If I am right in understanding that you've just written an essay on a specific text, then this will not form part of your folio but is simply practice for part of your final exam. These are called Critical Essays and are part of your final exam (Critical Reading) and would be marked out of 20, with that paper being worth 40 marks total.

Your teacher/assessor would be correct in saying that 600 words is maybe a bit short and you would lose some potential marks, but that would be because you more than likely haven't described or explored things like the plot, impact, techniques used in relation to the question to the appropriate level of detail expected at N5.
    I found that every type of essay is generally expected to be at least 750-800 words at N5, with a max of 1000 on each folio essay only, I am not aware of any maximum word count on the critical essay apart from what you can physically write in the time of the exam.

Unfortunately I never studied The Lord of the Flies so I can't offer any advice about that.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who will be the next permanent England boss?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.