Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Are these GCSEs good enough for Oxford/Cambridge

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

This year I achieved 7A*s and 3As in my GCSE with my grades as follows:Chemistry-A* Biology-A* Physics-A* Computing- A* English Lang-A* RS-A* English Lit-A Maths-A Business Studies-A* French-A

Will these paired with an excellent set of A-Levels and BMAT Score be enough to get me into Oxbridge. If not, will it be enough for medical schools in general. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know for Medicine as that is ultra competitive but I know for Law at Oxford those GCSEs would definitely be good enough.

ReputationRep:
    "Will these paired with an excellent set of A-Levels and BMAT Score be enough to get me into Oxbridge?"

Probably, yes - although the interview will also matter quite a lot. I think 7 A*s is slightly below the average medicine applicant, but obviously people get in who had below average GCSEs. Also they (I know Oxford do, not sure about Cambridge) take into account where you did your GCSEs - i.e. if you got 4 A*s but nobody else at your school got A*s, that could be seen as just as good as someone getting 10 A*s where that was the norm at their school. (this is called contextualised information)

"If not, will it be enough for medical schools in general. Thanks. "

Yes, although many medical schools require UKCAT. Good grades/scores only get you to the interview stage, you still need to smash your interview.

ReputationRep:
    ==

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunnysideSea)
    'Be enough to get me into Oxbridge'? GCSE grades don't get you into Oxford matey. They may help a little, but if you have, say, 6A*s, it's mainly down to your A Levels and how you perfom in their test and at interview. If you don't get in, it won't be because of your GCSEs, it will be because you weren't good enough in these aspects of your application.
    This is absolutely not the case. GCSEs are critical to medicine applications, particularly at oxford, and being well informed about what is required is vital.

The info regarding oxford is here. Please make your own conclusions, but bear in mind that almost 2 in 3 medicine applicants get no offers at all: you can't afford to try 'just in case' - every choice counts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    This is absolutely not the case. GCSEs are critical to medicine applications, particularly at oxford, and being well informed about what is required is vital.

The info regarding oxford is here. Please make your own conclusions, but bear in mind that almost 2 in 3 medicine applicants get no offers at all: you can't afford to try 'just in case' - every choice counts.
    You're quite right about medicine actually. Sorry, I was answering as if it was to a standard course. Oxford do indeed take GCSEs heavily into consideration for medicine, and as you can see say their 'mean number of A*s at GCSE was 10.6'. My bad. Though I would suggest that a ratio of 70% at A* is still very solid, and, dependent on your school average, it could well still be worth a shot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunnysideSea)
    You're quite right about medicine actually. Sorry, I was answering as if it was to a standard course. Oxford do indeed take GCSEs heavily into consideration for medicine, and as you can see say their 'mean number of A*s at GCSE was 10.6'. My bad. Though I would suggest that a ratio of 70% at A* is still very solid, and, dependent on your school average, it could well still be worth a shot.
    Well I mean, it's right at the very bottom of where people start to stand a chance of an offer, but I think only the OP can decide how those slim chances compare to chances at other unis and how much attending oxford specifically really means to them.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How do you eat your pizza

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.