Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Self Studying

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

Just wondering, how possible is it to study History A-level without studying it at school/college.

Some background:
    I achieved 11 A*s at GCSE including History.
    AAB at A2 Maths, Further Maths and Physics with A in Business AS
    Taking a gap year and reapplying to uni this year
    My motivation for doing this is to show that I'm well rounded outside of applying to uni for maths and also because I loved studying history at GCSE

How realistic is it to sit History in this 1 year, at least at AS level but preferably up to A2 level? My current concern is coursework, particularly what I'm going to base it on and who is going to mark it. I can sit the exams at my ex Sixth Form and can try to do the coursework there if they allow me to.

What exam board/ topics would be recommended for self study? I'm quite interested in the French Revolution if studying that would be possible.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 19, 2016
TSR Support Team
I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.