The Student Room Group

Zoning out in class

(edited 6 years ago)
You could prepare your lessons and sudy by yourself so by the time you get to the taught lesson you already know most of the stuff. That way it wouldnt matter whether you zoned in or not.

Vesides making sure youve had enough sleep and had soemthing to eat, then maybe take notes like everyone e as that tneds to concentrae the mind or maybe think about your need to study to get the grades to get to uni. If you are motivated enough, then you will focus as zoning out will contribute towards losing marks abd make your success less likely. Its your responsibility. I'd have thought after ten + years you would have mastered the art of pating attention in class.
Original post by Datalwo
I always zone out in class and it is affecting my learning. I can't help it. I just zone out when the teacher is explaining stuff to do with the lesson. It looks like I'm listening because I just stare but actually I've zoned out and I don't know what the teacher has been saying. I much prefer independent study as I'm learning at my own pace and by myself but that isn't the case unfortunately and in a classroom I quickly zone out. What am I supposed to do?? I just wish I didn't have this problem. :frown:

I have a similar problem to you. Simply, I catch up at home with independent work, although I understand that it doesn't work for everybody.
Original post by Datalwo
Well I've had this problem throughout my school life and I'm what they call "slow". It's my brain that is slow to process things and like it's lazy or something. I can't help it. I don't know how to explain it to you. Obviously I don't do this deliberately.

If you cant focus in class then you need to do extra prep. Have you asked them to assess whether you have SEN?
Reply 4
I sometimes zone out as well. For me, there are three main reasons:
- You haven't received enough sleep
- The subject is boring to you
- The way your teacher is teaching is boring
Original post by Datalwo
According to a screening assessment it says I may have borderline dyslexia? Does this have anything to do with it or is that not related? What is borderline dyslexia and do you get support for it?

You will have a SEN teacher at the school find out who it is and get assessed.
Original post by Datalwo
I always zone out in class and it is affecting my learning. I can't help it. I just zone out when the teacher is explaining stuff to do with the lesson. It looks like I'm listening because I just stare but actually I've zoned out and I don't know what the teacher has been saying. I much prefer independent study as I'm learning at my own pace and by myself but that isn't the case unfortunately and in a classroom I quickly zone out. What am I supposed to do?? I just wish I didn't have this problem. :frown:

If you are zoning out it might be because of your diet. Make sure you don't skip breakfast,lunch try to have fruit and long lasting carbohydrates :smile:. Trust me

Quick Reply

Latest