Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sixth Form Swap Has Left Me Feeling Down

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    I've recently moved from GCSE level to A-Level like any other student but I was the only one out of my gang of friends to go to Sixth Form. I have been there two weeks & I still don't have any friends, I'm very much feeling like an outcast.

I don't know whether it's Sixth Form or whether it's because I have no free-time as I'm also working on the weekends and I don't get to see my family much or my friends. I'm just a bit lonely & sad. That's all

ReputationRep:
    Hey, first of all let me say the switch is very difficult and emotionally draining, I understand where you're coming from but maybe try to get involved in anything that's going on at sixth form or as nerve-racking as it is, just try speak to people, anyone. People can be really friendly, and some of them most likely feel exactly the same as you. In terms of your work and having no free-time, try think of it like this, (I'm guessing you wanna go Uni) but you study really hard now and only next year you'll be applying there! Where you'll most likely be living on campus and have freshers week and will meet a lot of new people, a great experience. Right now is the hard bit, to make it easier really think like, do you enjoy the subjects you're studying, is it really what you wanna do? If not then change and naturally as the time passes you'll get into the feel of it more trust me.

Also about work on the weekends, I wish I had a job like you loool But yeah, maybe save up and make a list of things you want to buy when you get paid, it'll motivate you. I totally get that sixth form especially is long, in school maybe go out with others at lunch, when you get home quickly finish your work (I know you'll be tired sorry lol) then spend time with your family and get a nice sleep. The first few months are really difficult but you have a lot to look forward too If you would like, you can PM me anytime and we can speak about stuff okaii.

(Original post by tyjo)
    I've recently moved from GCSE level to A-Level like any other student but I was the only one out of my gang of friends to go to Sixth Form. I have been there two weeks & I still don't have any friends, I'm very much feeling like an outcast.

I don't know whether it's Sixth Form or whether it's because I have no free-time as I'm also working on the weekends and I don't get to see my family much or my friends. I'm just a bit lonely & sad. That's all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tyjo)

Hey I'll tell you now the jump from gcse's to a levels literally shocks everyone. One minute you're a genius, the next you u feel completely hopeless. Don't worry about not making any friends, they will come to you eventually. Spend time in the library if you can because you're bound to find someone there. Just smile and compliment people. Try to ask people in your class for help with work.

One thing I can tell you is that there's a big difference between 6th form and college. If you were to go to college, you'd probably find that people are a little more friendly and social. I actually failed my first year of a levels when I went to 6th form. I then decided to go to a proper college and restart everything. And before I knew it I was passing everything. I met quite a few amazing people who I have stayed in contact with. Honestly you will enjoy this part of your life if you embrace it. Btw since alevels are really difficult, it's important that you focus on your academics more than your social life.

ReputationRep:
    This is your call to adventure, dont be sad make the most of it

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 24, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who will be the next permanent England boss?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.