The Student Room Group

A2 geography

I'm currently doing A2 geography AQA as well as retaking AS. I'm struggling with case studies. Does any one have any good notes and tips on answering the questions?
Original post by Epiccherry
I'm currently doing A2 geography AQA as well as retaking AS. I'm struggling with case studies. Does any one have any good notes and tips on answering the questions?

Hey I did AQA Geography - Got an A overall (a few ums off an A*) and 93% during AS, what specific tips do you want?
Reply 2
How do I answer the 15 marks questions on AS exam I really struggled with this last year and want to do better in the retake.

Also I'm struggling with A2 case studies I don't get what I have to know and where to find the informations espeacially for world cities

I have no proper geohraphy teacher so its really hard :frown:
Original post by Epiccherry
How do I answer the 15 marks questions on AS exam I really struggled with this last year and want to do better in the retake.

Also I'm struggling with A2 case studies I don't get what I have to know and where to find the informations espeacially for world cities

I have no proper geohraphy teacher so its really hard :frown:

I struggled a lot during the 15 marks in AS as well - I would often get 5/15 and the highest I ever got was 11/15 once so I have no idea how they went in the actual exam but I did got full ums marks for that paper.

15 markers I believe should be two pages max with an intro and conclusion - I know they aren't proper essays but I was always told to include them. Use the Point, Evidence, Explanation, Refer back to question method. Your intro should really set the scene and directly address the question at the end of the paragraph. In each paragraph you do you should refer back to the question constantly. Add case study knowledge but only relevant ones that directly answer the question - don't tell a story especially for the human geog 15 markers. In physical geog 15 marker a good thing to add is always the socio-economic implications (basically don't completely separate human & physical 15 markers as being separate things, physical geography affects human geography)
For some 15 markers make sure you time yourself to not go over the 15 minutes, even though in the exam you may have more/less time for this depending on how your other questions go.
On the AQA website they have exemplar answers, check them out and see what some actual students wrote to get high marks and try to memories/compare to your own work.
Just remember the 15 markers are only half of the total marks so you can get a good grade even if you don't get high marks for all the 15 markers, providing that you're very strong at the lower mark questions.

The problem with case studies is that they require short term memory. I wouldn't bother struggling to learn them now. Just make sure they are competant case study notes and you put a LOT of info on them, so when you come to learn your case studies you can pick and chose what parts you feel will be relevant depending on a questions.
I learn all my case studies probably like 2/3 weeks before the exam - this took days of just memorizing case studies btw.
There's loads of websites where you can find good case study notes, coolgeography is a good website as well as just googling.
Yeah world cities is probably the worst one as it has tonnnes of case studies but I'd recommend learning a LARGE case study that can be applied to many aspects of the spec. Newcastle-upon-tyne and Nairobi case studies can be applied to many parts of the spec.
Reply 4
Thank you sooo much that was really useful. I will look at AQA exemplar answers. I'm doing newcastle as a big case study aswell. I was only able to find cool geography with newcastle information.

Quick Reply

Latest