The Student Room Group

How do I get over driving test nerves?

I have taken well over 50 hours of lessons and attempted my driving test 4 times but still haven't passed because I get too nervous behind the wheel and make dumb mistakes I wouldn't normally in lessons causing me to get 2 or 3 serious faults each time. I feel bad about it because most of my friends passed first time with very few minors. My driving instructor said that my driving was fine and there wasn't anything else he could teach me. On my most recent attempt, I thought I did fine but the examiner seemed to disagree, is it better to have your instructor to sit behind you during the test so that the examiner doesn't treat me unfairly? I probably won't be taking another test for a few months because I'm moving to London for uni where driving isn't necessary but I'd like to mentally prepare for my next test when I choose to book it (probably January). Does anyone have advice on how to stop feeling anxious during the test, or is it just attempt it as many times until you pass?
My instructor told me that if you do the test alone (i.e. without your instructor sitting in the back of the car), your examiner is more likely to be lenient with marking. Also, I'd suggest having a driving lesson immediately before your test too, so that you can get settled in and have a chance to go over any last minute things which you might not feel confident with. Best of luck with your next test! :smile:
How much driving have you been doing outside of lessons, with parents and so on?

For me, I only knew I was ready to pass when I could drive around my town and the test city comfortably without the instructor beside me. If you drive more without your instructor, maybe you'll be more confident on your test.
You'll likely do a practice hour beforehand to settle you in, if that hour goes well then it can boost your confidence and help you feel ready. Chewing gum also helps focus your mind and ease nerves.
Original post by Leviathan1741
My instructor told me that if you do the test alone (i.e. without your instructor sitting in the back of the car), your examiner is more likely to be lenient with marking. Also, I'd suggest having a driving lesson immediately before your test too, so that you can get settled in and have a chance to go over any last minute things which you might not feel confident with. Best of luck with your next test! :smile:

Thank you :smile: I normally do have a lesson before the test to adjust the mirrors which helps with the manoevures and I do everything fine but something about an examiner sitting next to me marking down all my mistakes causes me to screw up, for example rushing when pulling off because I'm afraid I'll be marked down for holding up traffic but that causes me to stall repeatedly. Would it be a good idea to ask my instructor to do a mock test with me, where he acts like the examiner for the duration of a test (around 40 minutes)?
Original post by Jonquillion
How much driving have you been doing outside of lessons, with parents and so on?

For me, I only knew I was ready to pass when I could drive around my town and the test city comfortably without the instructor beside me. If you drive more without your instructor, maybe you'll be more confident on your test.

The thing is that I haven't done any driving outside of lessons and this might be why I still haven't passed. I've brought up this concern to my parents but they seemed reluctant to let me drive their car because the insurance would cost a lot, they would have to accompany me which they don't really have time for and they think because I won't be driving their car during my test the extra driving wouldn't really help so I would be better off doing more lessons. Should I try to persuade them again so I can get more road experience instead of having to wait when my instructor is free to have a lesson?
I've never took lessons before but like any test, nerves will kick in.

Think of it like an exam. What do you do to ease your worries? How do you feel confident going in the exam?

My advice is familiarise yourself with what'll be in the driving test. You have the advantage of having the experience of tests before. So even before you go into the test, go for a test run to recap on the things you've learnt.

I always find having a test run keeps everything fresh in your mind is a good way of retaining it for any type of test.

Also don't leave the test too long and maybe take a small break from it. I know you'll be moving soon and might not want to fork out on another test but IMO it's better taking it sooner so that you don't forget what your lessons have taught you. *
Original post by thewindshifts
Thank you :smile: I normally do have a lesson before the test to adjust the mirrors which helps with the manoevures and I do everything fine but something about an examiner sitting next to me marking down all my mistakes causes me to screw up, for example rushing when pulling off because I'm afraid I'll be marked down for holding up traffic but that causes me to stall repeatedly. Would it be a good idea to ask my instructor to do a mock test with me, where he acts like the examiner for the duration of a test (around 40 minutes)?

I think that a mock test may help, however it may actually have the opposite effect and knock your confidence further, if you fail it for example. My advice would be to pick out the most common mistakes that you've been making on your driving tests and work on sorting them out. Also, don't worry about holding up other traffic on your test, just take your time and make sure that it's safe before you move off, carry out a manoeuvre etc :smile:
Try to put the thought of it being an exam out of your head. You are simply following instructions given by the person who happens to be in the passenger seat. - think of them as a passenger you are simply giving a lift home - but only they know where home is!

It's no different to any time when you will give friends and family a lift in the future with that person giving you directions - you still need to drive safely, you may take a wrong turn and end up doing a three point turn in a cul-de-sac, you are likely to need a hill start, pull away from traffic lights, reverse into a parking space and that old biddy who stepped out into the road in front of you can thank your for your emergency stop.

The examiner is no different and should be treated no differently. You just need to build confidence without the safety net of your instructor.

Try asking your instructor to do a few lessons where he say's absolutely nothing and you simply drive for the sheer pleasure of it - going where you want to go and not him telling you. When you get home, only then can he tell you any mistakes you made. It's still completely safe as the dual controls mean you won't get into any danger.

Quick Reply

Latest