Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Can I get Into ICL With No Further Maths And A Sub Par Personal Statement?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    I really want to do computing at ICL and i am self teaching Further Maths so that i have a better chance, but if it fails can i get into ICL with a qualification in Pure Mathematics possibly ending up with the following grades:
    A* (Pure Mathematics)
    A* (Physics)
    A* (Chemistry)

If all i had to mention on my Personal Statement (among other things) at the moment of application was that i created an app/game and self taught Pure Mathematics could i get into ICl?

ReputationRep:
    If you meet the entry requirements and otherwise have a strong application you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    If you meet the entry requirements and otherwise have a strong application you will be fine.
    From my knowledge that is not always the case with ICL. My brother applied for Computing there with:

A* (Maths)
    A* (Further Maths)
    A* (Chemistry)
    B (Physics)

They rejected him even though the entry requirements were A*AAA (A* in Maths). He got a remark, and gladly moved up to an A in Physics and was then accepted by the Uni. With such competition is it possible for me to get into ICL with no Further Maths, an average Personal Statement and straight A*'s?

A* (Maths/Pure Mathematics)
    A* (Physics)
    A* (Chemistry)

ReputationRep:
    Why does your personal statement have to be 'sub-par'? Just because you don't have insane extra-curriculars doesn't mean your PS can't be good. If I remember correctly, you're going to be talking about academic interests for the the majority of your PS anyway. Do some reading on computing related stuff that interests you and try to make your passion for the subject show, the app you created is definitely something solid you can talk about as well. Get your teachers and the people at the TSR PS review forums to go over it until you're sure it's the best it can be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justinawe)
    Why does your personal statement have to be 'sub-par'? Just because you don't have insane extra-curriculars doesn't mean your PS can't be good. If I remember correctly, you're going to be talking about academic interests for the the majority of your PS anyway. Do some reading on computing related stuff that interests you and try to make your passion for the subject show, the app you created is definitely something solid you can talk about as well. Get your teachers and the people at the TSR PS review forums to go over it until you're sure it's the best it can be.
    Considering that i'll be taking a gap year, i won't have access to the resources at my school and so i was actually thinking of getting a PS Reviewer on TSR to help me with it (Thanks for the info btw). I treat my Personal Statement (at the moment) as being relatively average because in comparison people have done way more and know way more than me on Computing that in comparison it's "Sub Par".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paranoid_Glitch)
    Considering that i'll be taking a gap year, i won't have access to the resources at my school and so i was actually thinking of getting a PS Reviewer on TSR to help me with it (Thanks for the info btw). I treat my Personal Statement (at the moment) as being relatively average because in comparison people have done way more and know way more than me on Computing that in comparison it's "Sub Par".
    Yeah, definitely get some PS help from this forum if you can't get someone from your school to help.

PS thing aside, those subjects and grades are probably fine. Further Maths is a big advantage but not a 100% must, self-studying a couple of the further pure modules definitely helps you as well. Are you predicted A*A*A*? Or are you going to be applying after you have your results?

To explain your brother's case btw, A*A*A*B technically doesn't meet the requirements of A*AAA, which is the reason he got rejected and later accepted after his remark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justinawe)
    Yeah, definitely get some PS help from this forum if you can't get someone from your school to help.

PS thing aside, those subjects and grades are probably fine. Further Maths is a big advantage but not a 100% must, self-studying a couple of the further pure modules definitely helps you as well. Are you predicted A*A*A*? Or are you going to be applying after you have your results?

To explain your brother's case btw, A*A*A*B technically doesn't meet the requirements of A*AAA, which is the reason he got rejected and later accepted after his remark.
    After I get my results. Can't get into the unis i want to with my current grades

B - Physics
    B - Chemistry
    C - Maths

Physics was 78% and Chemistry was 79% so i still do have a chance at getting the A*. Resisting Maths and i'm sure i'll get an A in the AS modules (78% sure)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paranoid_Glitch)
    From my knowledge that is not always the case with ICL. My brother applied for Computing there with:

A* (Maths)
    A* (Further Maths)
    A* (Chemistry)
    B (Physics)

They rejected him even though the entry requirements were A*AAA (A* in Maths). He got a remark, and gladly moved up to an A in Physics and was then accepted by the Uni. With such competition is it possible for me to get into ICL with no Further Maths, an average Personal Statement and straight A*'s?

A* (Maths/Pure Mathematics)
    A* (Physics)
    A* (Chemistry)
    Yes competition has a role but that isn't something you can control. It's your grades and the rest of your application are strong then you have a good chance.

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who is going to win Bake Off?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.