Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Favourite historical place to visit?

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    Pretty simple this time round. Does anyone have a favourite historical place that they have visited or want to visit?

Right now, my favourite places I have visited is:

Brodie Castle
    Duffus Castle ruins (they are pretty amazing)
    Grianan of Aileach fort in Donegal, Ireland (100% recommend if you are ever in Ireland)

Where I want to visit:

Hever Castle
    Wolf Hall
    Edinburgh Castle
    Buckingham Palace
    Kilkenny Castle

If you have pictures, it would be nice to see! I have ones from Duffus Castle somewhere on my camera.

ReputationRep:
    Grianan of Aileach fort view:

Spoiler:
    Show

Is that not just gorgeous?

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh castle is amazing!

Attachment 581432581434
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fox Corner)

Attachment 581432581434
    Omg. I really want to go. I am a train ride away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    Omg. I really want to go. I am a train ride away.
    It's well worth it. The views are amazing and the climb up isn't even that bad!

ReputationRep:
    My all time favouite would be either Culzean Castle (pronounced like cull-lane ) or Brig O'Doon. I've been going ever since I was a little girl since its near to my home and my family are Kennedy's so ya never know, maybe I'm a descendant of the Kennedy's who first owned Culzean I was star struck when I watched The Wicker Man for the first time and saw the castle in the movie! Knowing that Christopher Lee has been in my neck of the woods is cool the woodlands and the beach at Culzean are lovely too. I wanted my wedding there but I'm not made of money :laugh:

Brig O'Doon is in my hometown and very popular with the tourists and fans of the poet Rabbie Burns

I also love Dunure which is a little village with a castle ruin which was owned by the Kennedy's as well and is about 10 mins away from Culzean. I go there a lot for a walk along the beach and a walk up the ruins.

I've been to Edinburgh and Stirling Castle as well. As for abroad, the best historical place I have visited so far was King John's Castle in Limerick. I also really want to visit Eilean Donan Castle in the highlands

I'll add some pics. It'll take too long to find them on my laptop so I'll just get some from Google
    First pic - Culzean Castle

View from Culzean Castle balcony - Name:  SAM_0653.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  518.7 KB

Brig O'Doon -

Dunure -

ReputationRep:
    Hampton Court Palace. I went there when I was younger and loved it to bits.

And I want to go to Hever Castle and the Tower of London purely because of the ghost stories

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    Hampton Court Palace. I went there when I was younger and loved it to bits.

And I want to go to Hever Castle and the Tower of London purely because of the ghost stories
    I want to go to all 3! And like waste a ton of money buying things from their gift shops.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    I want to go to all 3! And like waste a ton of money buying things from their gift shops.
    Hampton Court is just beautiful in the summer. There's a maze as well where lots of couples/families go into The gift shops are just so expensive at Hampton..

ReputationRep:
    Wow some of these look amazing. I would have said Edinburgh or Bamburgh castle but now I'm not sure!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    Hampton Court is just beautiful in the summer. There's a maze as well where lots of couples/families go into The gift shops are just so expensive at Hampton..
    I would save up deliberately for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    My all time favouite would be either Culzean Castle (pronounced like cull-lane ) or Brig O'Doon. I've been going ever since I was a little girl since its near to my home and my family are Kennedy's so ya never know, maybe I'm a descendant of the Kennedy's who first owned Culzean I was star struck when I watched The Wicker Man for the first time and saw the castle in the movie! Knowing that Christopher Lee has been in my neck of the woods is cool the woodlands and the beach at Culzean are lovely too. I wanted my wedding there but I'm not made of money :laugh:

Brig O'Doon is in my hometown and very popular with the tourists and fans of the poet Rabbie Burns

I also love Dunure which is a little village with a castle ruin which was owned by the Kennedy's as well and is about 10 mins away from Culzean. I go there a lot for a walk along the beach and a walk up the ruins.

I've been to Edinburgh and Stirling Castle as well. As for abroad, the best historical place I have visited so far was King John's Castle in Limerick. I also really want to visit Eilean Donan Castle in the highlands

I'll add some pics. It'll take too long to find them on my laptop so I'll just get some from Google
    First pic - Culzean Castle

View from Culzean Castle balcony - Name:  SAM_0653.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  518.7 KB

Brig O'Doon -

Dunure -
    asdfghjkl :love:

ReputationRep:
    Warwick Castle.

Before Maddame ****in Tussauds had finished ruining it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to visit Petra one day.

ReputationRep:
    Have visited the St- Paul's church in Frankfurt, the so called cradle of German civil rights. Amazing!

Would love to visit the Bundestag in Berlin, the Buckingham Palace in London, Angkor Wat in Cambodia, the forbidden City in Beijing, the Forum Romanum in Rome, the Bastille in Paris, the Hall of Mirrors in Versailles, *etc.

An endless list which will never be completed.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fox Corner)

Attachment 581432581434
    is it worth the dosh? been like 10 times but never gone to the castle :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    I'd love to visit Petra one day.

I believe you. This ancient city looks so awesome. Everything seems to be engraved inside of a stone, like a fantastic artwork of human creating.*

ReputationRep:
    Have forgotten to mention that I have visited another historical place in Germany, even if it has gone by years ago:*

Kiel, the German Revolution (Kiel mutiny).*

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which would you rather be...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.