Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I feel like I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing with my life

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hi, I'm 19 and am now starting my second year of University. Last year I found it quite difficult settling in and nearly dropped out at one point. I do get very homesick as I'm close with my mum and it's also difficult to visit home as it takes me 5 hours to get home on train and this also costs quite a bit of money. The problem with the homesickness is that it makes me question everything, such as whether I want to be here? Whether I want to be studying this course?

My course is okay. I wouldn't say I absolutely love it but do not hate it either. However realistically I didn't do enough research when applying for it and feel that I predominantly came to University because I didn't know what else I could do. I really wish I'd taken a gap year to decide and explore other options, but I didn't because I didn't want to start a year later than everyone else (stupid, I know).

Logically, I guess that University is the best option. But I'm finding it difficult to cope with being so far away from home and while I do have people I hang out with, I don't really feel like I've bonded with anyone that well. I'm just finding it really hard because it's not like I absolutely hate my course so I'm really indecisive about what to do. I just feel so miserable and that no option will really make me happy. I really wish there was a way for me to take a year out, but don't think that is possible. If I just came home I don't know what I could do and am worried I'd just end up in a crappy minimum wage job for the rest of my life.

What should I do?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.