The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Cardiff University

Hey guys,
I am really stuck, basically I am doing a Law degree in Cardiff Uni. I live about 40 minutes away by car so I never thought about living in Cardiff - that was until freshers. I think I really underestimated about how full on Uni is, everyone is friends with their flat mates, my course is going to be full on and starts most days at 9am - meaning I will have to leave at 7am because of rush hour! And I have been stressing about this all day to the point I haven't ate or slept.

I really didn't think this through and now I'm left really unhappy and feeling totally left out. I don't care about the 'student life' because I am pretty confident and I've made a few friends already but none on my course. My real concern is I won't have any close friends like everyone else and that my uni course plus travelling plus working weekends will take toll on me.

So does anyone know if I can still apply for halls? And how so? Does anyone have any tips or help, they would be greatly appreciated!!
Original post by millievansx

I don't care about the 'student life' because I am pretty confident ....

Your post as a whole does not mesh with the statement of yours I have quoted. Just suck it up for the next few months and change your arrangements for next year. These two semesters will be done in no time.
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
I start at 9am every day, it's an hour and a half to 2 hour commute in rush hour. I have to get up at 6am and don't get home till later, I have to do work and I actually work part time. So don't tell me it's "contradicted" myself. The actual student life I don't care about, it's the fact I will be stretching myself so thin I am worried.
I start at 9am every day, it's an hour and a half to 2 hour commute in rush hour. I have to get up at 6am and don't get home till later, I have to do work and I actually work part time. So don't tell me it's "contradicted" myself. The actual student life I don't care about, it's the fact I will be stretching myself so thin I am worried.

I am commuting to Cardiff from an hour away. I am getting up at 5:45am and not getting home until 6:30pm some days.

If you think you are stretching thin then I guess you have never worked much in your life. As I said - suck it up.

And I have been stressing about this all day to the point I haven't ate or slept.

Really?????? Not prepared for the real world I take it. Did mum and dad do everything for you?
(edited 7 years ago)
No, I've actually been having problems at home. I am a carer as well for my granddad as well as a degree, hence staying at home and working here too. I asked for tips and advice, not for someone who doesn't even know me to judge over the Internet. It isn't a competition between me and you to who's commuting the most etc, it's the fact I wanted advice from someone and all you have done is acted negatively.
(edited 7 years ago)
No, I've actually been having problems at home. I am a carer as well for my granddad as well as a degree, hence staying at home and working here too. I asked for tips and advice, not for someone who doesn't even know me to judge over the Internet. It isn't a competition between me and you to who's commuting the most etc, it's the fact I wanted advice from someone and all you have done is acted negatively.

I gave you advice - suck it up and change your arrangements for next year if you want.

I have two kids and live almost in Brecon. I knew damn well what I was getting into - you should have to. It isn't exactly a hardship.
Reply 6
Hey I know this wont help but I have the same problem! I live half an hour away from Cardiff (by train) and I always see people with their flatmates already being friends and stuff and since I live at home I dont really know anyone. I dont know if there's still much accommodation left but I do see some people say they have some vacancies on the Facebook freshers group, so maybe have a look at that??
I'm thinking of going into accommodation next year because living near the uni would be much easier to be honest...
I'm studying biological science by the way :smile:
I think you'll have better luck with private accomodation as that usually appears throughout the year. If you need advice on getting accomodation in town now then go to the advice centre in the union and they can point you in the right direction. Student services is there to help, use them!

Lots of people don't have coursemates (I didn't for my undergrad) but they are a good idea. Try joining your subject society and/or making an effort to chat to people at the start of lectures.

Flatmates are just random people: they're not your bff's in waiting. It took me a while to meet my bff at uni and that friendship has stood the test of time more than the people I hung out with in first year. Try to be as open as possible to meeting people and suggest day time activities like coffee, lunch or a study group that you can do between lectures so you can join in.
Reply 8
Hey I'm actually looking to move out of my room at talybont court as i have family in cardiff who are willing to put me up. Mesasage me if you were still looking for a room and i cangive you more details :smile:
Reply 9
Anyone still looking for accommodation? I am looking for someone who is willing to take over my contract at Talybont Court. If interested please let me know.

Quick Reply

Latest