Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My GCSE Journey: So it continues ...

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    20/09/16 - Intro
    Hello, there!!! :itsme:
    Hey, and welcome to my Study Blog! I decided to make one so I could document my progress throughout 5th Year, the dreaded GCSE year :eek:! Thankfully though I have sat some modules, which apart from lightening my exam load this year has also intorduced me to the external exam system and what examiners may be looking out for! Yay :woo:!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Speaking of Year 11 (n ireland year groupings are a bit different to those elsewhere in the uk), here are my module grades from last year:
    • Maths: A* (complete GCSE - further maths this year)
    • English Language: b + a (two modules sat last year)
    • Biology: a
    • Chemistry: b
    • Physics: a
    • History: a
    I have a few subjects where I didn't have exams last year but will have this year and they are:
    • English Literature
    • Further Maths
    • Music
    • German
    So this year, the target for me is to get our school's Certificate for Excellence at GCSE, which is basically 7+ A*/A grades by the end of Year 12. Additional prizes like best in year at a certain subject would be nice, but I'm not going to focus on them!

Outside of school I do a lot of music, playing both the Cello and Piano to a high standard, not to blow my own trumpet or anything :blow:!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    me: *sniggers at own joke*
    everyone else:
    Name:  Snapchat-697783977874258213.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  261.7 KB
    I also play in the region's senior orchestra and am the cellist for the district's senior youth quartet!!
    So, yeah hopefully you find this blog enjoyable, and please don't be shy to comment or anything and if you think I may be doing something horribly wrong or have any advice, please let me know; it would be much appreciated!!
    So for now, I shall bid you adieu and shall talk to you later!! :wavey:

ReputationRep:
    P.S: also started a grow your grades blog back at the start of the year! It's finished now but if you want to check it out, do so here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3871473

ReputationRep:
    Woohoo! You've got this, I'll definitely be watching this to see how you get on. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    20/09/16 - Entry 1

I thought I'd let you know what I've been up to for the past (nearly) 2 weeks of school!
    Being a stereotypical student, at the very start of September I was like, "I'm gonna get all my notes done on a topic as soon as I can." However, something very unlike me has happened so far: I'm actually keeping to my commitment!! I've actually made nice notes which means that when it comes to revision, I just have to make sure I know them! Yay! Heres a nice pic of my notes so far:
    Name:  Revision notes photo 1.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  495.3 KB
    (those are Reactivity Series, Waves and Macbeth notes btw)
    So yeah, not sure how long I'm going to keep that promise to myself for, but hopefully it will last!
    In school tomorrow we hav inspectors coming in to review the school so most of the lessons are going to be really easy, and we even get to do a practical in chemistry! (honestly as rare as getting struck by lightning)!
    We have finished a few topics across subjects, so tests will be starting to creep in over the next two weeks, especially as September/October tracking is just around the corner! I'll probably get notice of a Chemistry, Physics and Further Maths test in the next few days, so that's all going to be fun!
    That's me for tonight, so until tomorrow then probably!
    Edit: So my computer doesn't want to load my picture correctly, so have fun looking at it upside down!

ReputationRep:
    21-09-16 - Entry 2
    An Inspector Calls
    Our school had an inspection today. It was nice to see the teachers be really nice for a change (although for most of them it was completely fake!). I loved watching teachers' reactions when an inspector walked into class, or having their 'lesson plans' ready in case an inspector did walk in! An inspector waked in half-way through my German class and my teacher became so nervous and shaky; she even had a coughing fit when trying to explain some grammar! It was almost sad to see her struggle as she is a genuinely good and pleasant teacher!! Also, because the threat of inspectors walking in at any moment, our chemistry teacher announced we were going to do a practical, which (as mentioned yesterday) is as rare as being struck by lightning!!
    Other than the inspection, I met my old history teacher (who has left the school but for some reason was just wandering about the place during the day) and she congratulated me on my 'stellar' history grade (A), and said next time I should definitely get 100%!!
    This weekend I'm heading away with the Scripture Union group, so I'm trying to get homework and notes done in advance. I don't want to rush my notes at the same time though. So I got my physics notes up to date and I'm now three-quarters of the way through my chemistry topic. I also had an English homework, but that was boring and not worth mentioning in detail.
    That's my entry for today, till tomorrow then!!

ReputationRep:
    26/09/16 - Entry 3

Happy Monday! How's it going? How was your weekend? Mines was great, I went away with the School's Scripture Union to learn new faces, bond and start off SU for this year! The talks were fantastic and it was great to see everyone so engaged and eager to receive God's word!!
    Just as soon as it ended though, school came. Yay . It was just a typical Monday: physics, music, english,german (lunch) maths and history. Nothing overly special. I did get to do a dispersion experiment in physics though, which was fun but I was extremely tired throughout the day.
    Homework:
    I've done all but one homework so far, I have to do a question about Lady Macbeth and I'm really not in the mood for it. Might start it later and finish it in the morning cause I need an early night if I need to function for tomorrow.
    Notes:
    I have made a few paragraphs of physics notes but that's about it really. Might do more soon.
    What am I behind on?
    • I should really pay more attention to English, as the controlled assessment is looming, so I need to have a set of notes ready to revise.
    • I should also start making History notes
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Which I'll actually enjoy doing - history is so intersting!
    What am I making good progress with?
    • Physics: I've almost the whole topic finished and my understanding of it is good so far
    • Chemistry: I've got a good few notes made on this too and I think I understand it!!
    • German: I know all my vocab
    I think I've written enough for tonight, so I'll leave it here. Until tomorrow then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnatschool)
    26/09/16 - Entry 3

Happy Monday! How's it going? How was your weekend? Mines was great, I went away with the School's Scripture Union to learn new faces, bond and start off SU for this year! The talks were fantastic and it was great to see everyone so engaged and eager to receive God's word!!
    Just as soon as it ended though, school came. Yay . It was just a typical Monday: physics, music, english,german (lunch) maths and history. Nothing overly special. I did get to do a dispersion experiment in physics though, which was fun but I was extremely tired throughout the day.
    Homework:
    I've done all but one homework so far, I have to do a question about Lady Macbeth and I'm really not in the mood for it. Might start it later and finish it in the morning cause I need an early night if I need to function for tomorrow.
    Notes:
    I have made a few paragraphs of physics notes but that's about it really. Might do more soon.
    What am I behind on?
    • I should really pay more attention to English, as the controlled assessment is looming, so I need to have a set of notes ready to revise.
    • I should also start making History notes
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Which I'll actually enjoy doing - history is so intersting!
    What am I making good progress with?
    • Physics: I've almost the whole topic finished and my understanding of it is good so far
    • Chemistry: I've got a good few notes made on this too and I think I understand it!!
    • German: I know all my vocab
    I think I've written enough for tonight, so I'll leave it here. Until tomorrow then!
    Looking good! Keep up the good work, and I'm sure you'll be more productive after a good nights sleep

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How do you eat your pizza
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.