Just one sec...
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Why is everything on the periodic table 1 mole?

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    my teacher was like everything on the periodic table is one mole

I know that 1mol=6.02x10^23 atoms/molecules/whatever

but why is everything on the periodic table 1 mole. and why is it compared carbon-12

the thing im really confused me is: if 1 ATOM of an element is 1 mole, does it mean that there are 6.03x10^23 something making up that 1 ATOM of that element.

I also know some atoms are made of isotopes, but some arent

ReputationRep:
    One mol of a compound is the atomic mass in grams.

ReputationRep:
    1 atom is not one mole.

1 mole is the same as 6.02x1023 atoms of the same element.

The periodic table is based on the relative atomic mass and ordered by the atomic number.

I think it's based on carbon-12 because it was set as a standard years ago (I don't know exactly why but I couldn't care less about the history of things like these lol). So one mole of carbon equals 12.000g, whereas a mole of hydrogen is 1.008g, not 1.000. So carbon is used as it's molar mass is closest to it's mass number in grams.

Moles = Mass / molecular mass btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
    One mol of a compound is the atomic mass in grams.
    so the atomic mass of any element say: sodium with mass of 22.990 is 1 mole and so is every other element.

also, am i correct in saying an element is a collection of 1 type of atom, collection as in lots of that 1 atom to make the element

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frank Peters)
    so the atomic mass of any element say: sodium with mass of 22.990 is 1 mole and so is every other element.

also, am i correct in saying an element is a collection of 1 type of atom, collection as in lots of that 1 atom to make the element
    Spot on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LogicIsKey)
    Spot on
    so is it correct in saying that all the atoms in the periodic table have a set amout of atoms that is used to make up the elements relative atomic mass

e.g. (this is just example, not really) imagine if all the atoms on the periodic table have 5+ atoms that make its element. So you would have a set number of 4 atoms to make the element. Therefore meaning the relative atomic mass is a set number of atoms that make up that element

(Original post by Frank Peters)
    so is it correct in saying that all the atoms in the periodic table have a set amout of atoms that is used to make up the elements relative atomic mass

e.g. (this is just example, not really) imagine if all the atoms on the periodic table have 5+ atoms that make its element. So you would have a set number of 4 atoms to make the element. Therefore meaning the relative atomic mass is a set number of atoms that make up that element
    You've got everything completely backwards.

You need only one nucleus to say you have an element. You need 6.02*1023 atoms to say you have one mole of an element.

The relative atomic masses in grams being one mole of the element is a consequence of how we define the mole, nothing more.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who will be the next permanent England boss?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.