Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it true you used to be able to downvote posts on TSR?

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

(Original post by Trinculo)
    And did it work (getting rid of downvotes)?
    I think it has definitely helped, and there is masses of great positive stuff on TSR. More than ever before. But we will always have to work at it - that be the interweb!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisN)
    I think it has definitely helped, and there is masses of great positive stuff on TSR. More than ever before. But we will always have to work at it - that be the interweb!
    Hmm. Really?

I mean, getting rid of downvotes because you thought it encouraged negativity - doesn't that sound a bit student union-safe space-trigger type thing?

Hmm. Really?

I mean, getting rid of downvotes because you thought it encouraged negativity - doesn't that sound a bit student union-safe space-trigger type thing?
    It wasn't a downvote. It was neg rep. An easy way to say 'I don't like you/what you say' with no accountability. If you don't like what someone says then it's easy enough to use words still, but at least you have to express your opinion

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't a downvote. It was neg rep. An easy way to say 'I don't like you/what you say' with no accountability. If you don't like what someone says then it's easy enough to use words still, but at least you have to express your opinion
    So why do you still have up votes/positive rep?

ReputationRep:
    It was also a great way - in every thread outside of chat - to say that someone's advice was full of ****. And since this place was supposed to be about helping one another, being able to readily distinguish good advice from bad advice was and is quite important...

Now there's no way (at a glance) to see if what someone has said is unaccurate or unhelpful, which dilutes the effectiveness of every useful thread on here.

ReputationRep:
    It looks to me like there's some unresolved issues here, like breaking up with someone at the end of first year, and both saying it's all ok but really it isn't, then meeting up at an alumni do five years later and really letting each other have it.

ReputationRep:
    I miss my red gems :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Yes, and negs need to come back.
    And prevent people speaking their mind? It would ruin all TSR debates on controversial topics, since no one would want to take the less popular side of the argument. Are you one of those people who wants all of university to be one big 'safe space'? I suppose that's one way to remove freedom of expression.

ReputationRep:
    Was this a thing?

Were there like two tracks of rep- a thumbs up one and a thumbs down one?
    Yeaaaaah back in the day - and some people just had tons of red gems rather than green gems because they got negged so much. And if you got an even balance of upvotes and downvotes, you just had one blue gem. That was my favourite, so I used to try and be nice on some threads and make people angry on other threads to keep a good balance....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunnysideSea)
    And prevent people speaking their mind? It would ruin all TSR debates on controversial topics, since no one would want to take the less popular side of the argument. Are you one of those people who wants all of university to be one big 'safe space'? I suppose that's one way to remove freedom of expression.
    What are you on about? There were just as many debates, if not more when neg reps were around. Negging people didn't stop people also expressing their criticisms just as sole pos repping doesn't stifle discussion either.

Also, if you're the one in favour of just having pos rep then it's you who wants to remove freedom of expression and implement safe spaces, not me :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Why did it go away?
    People complained that having points of view that wasn't consistent with 16 - 18 year old left wing teenagers would be heavily penalised
    You would also get negative reps if people had no sense of sarcasm
    (I once got over 25+ negs for posting a video of a spider :lol: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Indeed. One user once got about 350 thumbs down on a single post

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Holy cow. What did s/he say?

ReputationRep:
    I heard about it and seen an account with red gems.

ReputationRep:
    ye i remember complaining when it went but i also love the fact you can only get positive reps

souno

i wouldnt care if it returned or not tbh

ReputationRep:
    What are you on about? There were just as many debates, if not more when neg reps were around. Negging people didn't stop people also expressing their criticisms just as sole pos repping doesn't stifle discussion either.
    Please explain how neg reps could possibly lead to an improvement in discussions by people arguing for the more unpopular side, aside from a very select minority who may get off on the negative rep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Holy cow. What did s/he say?
    I forget the exact content but it translated to some kinda "HOW DARE YOU NOT (WANT TO) GO TO OXBRIDGE, YOU ARE **** ON MY SHOE, GET OUT". The user in question was a massive prestige whore. At least, up until they failed to gain admission to Oxbridge :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Please explain how neg reps could possibly lead to an improvement in discussions by people arguing for the more unpopular side, aside from a very select minority who may get off on the negative rep.
    You said it ruined TSR debates and the simple truth is that they didn't because debates and long discussions were extremely common. Were you even here when negs existed? :eyebrow:

Negs were very useful to highlight unhelpful advice and a side of an argument that wasn't popular. It no more stifles debate than it does now, but it gave an instant and clear view of the general opinion.

Stop making out people shivered and quaked at the sight of neg rep. People with the less popular opinion would still comment and express their view.

ReputationRep:
    You also used to be able to change the background colour

:ninja:

ReputationRep:
    You said it ruined TSR debates and the simple truth is that they didn't because debates and long discussions were extremely common. Were you even here when negs existed? :eyebrow:

Negs were very useful to highlight unhelpful advice and a side of an argument that wasn't popular. It no more stifles debate than it does now, but it gave an instant and clear view of the general opinion.
    You're basically evidencing my argument. It made it clear which side was less popuar - of course this will put people off standing up for it, for fear of being neg repped!

Why should people be punished for going against 'general opinion'? Often those who are best informed on a topic say things which may appear to the lay person strange or outrageous, even, but on closer inspection is perfectly valid. You're essentially giving in to mob rule.

ReputationRep:
    You're basically evidencing my argument. It made it clear which side was less popuar - of course this will put people off standing up for it, for fear of being neg repped!

Why should people be punished for going against 'general opinion'? Often those who are best informed on a topic say things which may appear to the lay person strange or outrageous, even, but on closer inspection is perfectly valid. You're essentially giving in to mob rule.
    I am not evidencing your argument because making it clear which side was more popular did not stop the less popular opinions from being aired, else there wouldn't have been long discussions and debates and there certainly were! And you're assuming all discussions were disproportionately veered towards one side which isn't necessarily the case. Just like many current topics, many of the ones back then would have a similar amount of those in favour and those against. Have in mind that the removal of neg rep doesn't mean you can't tell when one opinion is more popular, it just takes longer. You weren't here when neg rep was around were you?

Topics that have a disproportionately large number of people in favour than against actually tend to die out rather quickly because discussions where everyone is saying "yes, I agree with you". "Oh, I agree too" get boring very quickly, for obvious reasons. Moreover, it can be argued that with neg rep around people may have thought their responses through more so as not to be negged. Now any comment can only be pos repped. And as another poster has said in the next page of this thread, some troll threads last far longer than they should do because of no neg rep.

Good lord, stop with your ridiculous histrionics, "mob rule" :lol:. It was a virtual red thumb on a student website, not a weapon that physically beat them. Students are old enough to realise that not everybody in the world has the same opinion and that often in life you will have yours criticised. I see nothing wrong with experiencing the consequences of holding an unpopular opinion or making a rude/unpleasant comment. It's quite frankly insulting that we're treated like babies who can't handle the most minimal conflict.

Just having pos rep is pointless and worthless without its opposite. It gives completely false impressions and allows people who consistently give unhelpful advice or make troll posts to seem popular and helpful.

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who is going to win Bake Off?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.